HTC One M9 User Thread

COZisBack

This XDA thread purports to show proof of a Sprint M9 roaming on W-CDMA in the Caribbean.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3105627

The actual location and band, though, are missing from that info.  W-CDMA support is beyond question -- that has never been the issue.  But what bands?  Domestic support requires bands 2, 4, and/or 5.  International support requires bands 1, 3, and/or 8.  To make matters more complicated, the Caribbean is a mixed bag of North America, South American, and Europe.

AJ

If you call drudging through my posts from a year ago with the aim of publicly harassing me "well informed with research" then so be it.  I am not going to argue with you on that, as that is your closely-held opinion.  Attacking me directly and personally does not benefit me nor does it benefit you.  There's no rational reason for it.  Discussion closed on that matter, as I've nothing else to say to you regarding that.

Yes, consider that case closed. I, too, have nothing more to say on the matter.

The FCC ID of the phone is NM80PJA200.  There does not appear to be any Industry Canada information on the phone or in the settings menu of the phone, unfortunately.  I looked over the box and the included manual and did not see anything there either except the FCC ID.

Now, I am not trying to be confrontational, but we already know the FCC ID.  That is how we were able to write our RF article:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-383-summer-of-69-samsung-and-htc-rock-out-with-their-flagships-for-the-season/

The Industry Canada ID may be there, just hiding.  Or it may not -- do not sweat it.  But the Industry Canada ID often follows the FCC ID and is prefaced by just the prefix "IC," which is easy to miss.  The Industry Canada authorizations are largely new for me, too.  But with recent roaming changes, we may need to start examining those authorizations.  And we can try to make them a part of our RF focused articles.

AJ

I was able to find the AT&T HTC One M9 on Industry Canada's site by searching 0PJA110, but I was not able to find the Sprint variant 0PJA200.  I don't think it's on there.  This is the site I used to look for it (not sure if it's where I should be looking):  https://sms-sgs.ic.gc.ca/equipmentSearch/searchRadioEquipments?execution=e1s1

I was able to find the AT&T HTC One M9 on Industry Canada's site by searching 0PJA110, but I was not able to find the Sprint variant 0PJA200.  I don't think it's on there.  This is the site I used to look for it (not sure if it's where I should be looking):  https://sms-sgs.ic.gc.ca/equipmentSearch/searchRadioEquipments?execution=e1s1

No, you are searching in the right place.  That is the Industry Canada database I use.  Good work.

The problem is that the AT&T variant HTC One M9 appears to be sold in Canada -- because it covers the right bands for Canadian operators.  The Sprint variant is not sold in Canada, so it may be listed under a separate identifier.

Either way, the Industry Canada device database is a pain in the ass.  Anyone, say what you will about US government bureaucracy, but the FCC OET device database is relatively straightforward and useful.

AJ

There is another screenshot in that same XDA thread showing a user being connected to CAN Rogers Wireless. Is that the question at hand - whether the device roams in Canada or not?

There is another screenshot in that same XDA thread showing a user being connected to CAN Rogers Wireless. Is that the question at hand - whether the device roams in Canada or not?

If it is a Sprint device with a Sprint SIM inserted, I would be surprised if Rogers is both connected and usable.  Somebody else can chime in -- because the apple cart has been totally upset in Canada now -- but Sprint historically roams on Bell and Telus, not Rogers.

AJ

It seems exceedingly unlikely that the M9 can't roam in Canada, for the simple reason that we'd surely be hearing complaints about it here and on other sites as yet another example of why "Sprint sucks." Occam's razor and all that...

Meh if it can't roam in Canada I have my N5 for just that reason, now I just need an international one...or maybe a N6 to compliment the now 'small' sized M9. I also couldn't find what you wanted AJ, the box does not list it and I couldn't find it in settings.

I am coming to the conclusion that the HTC One m9 is not so hot for signal chasing.  I made a 200 mile loop in Nebraska.**  After I left Sprint LTE service, I was in what we know as 1x800 (3g) or pockets of no Sprint service.  On the return leg, I was almost back in Fremont, Nebraska still experiencing 1x800 (3G) when I should have picked up LTE well by then according to Sensorly maps.

It was not until I was back in north Fremont that I pulled over and double checked my settings, etc.

Even after stopping Sensorly, LTE Discovery and Signal Check Pro, my HTC One m9 was using the Nickerson tower at 1x800 (3g).

In other words,even with the built in Sprint Connection Optimizer, it failed to pick up LTE when I returned to LTE territory. Even after stopping the three apps and doing the manual Airplane switch, my HTC One m9 switched to LTE band 25 at Sapp Bros in North Fremont, NE.  After I went on the US Hwy 275 bypass, the HTC One m9 reverted to 1x800 (3G) over half way back to Omaha.

Going over the same ground on the way up from Omaha, I was getting Sprint LTE service in various bands - mostly band 25 and some band 26.

** Fremont, NE to Columbus, NE up to Norfolk, NE and return via US Hwy 275.

My LG G Pad was no better.

Allegedly there is a fix "coming" for the radio/handoff/signal holding issues the M9 is experiencing (according to a Sprint reply to my tweets about it). When it's coming, no one can/will say, but this is a known issue for many.

Is there some setting we can tweak? I notice that when going from say a B41 area to outside it's range, the M9 drops to 3G (unstable) and often to roam/no data. Even when roaming, often get no data. (all roam options are enabled - I've roamed to Verizon LTE). Vice versa, when going from a non-LTE to LTE area, it's definitely not a seamless transition and often takes a airplane mode toggle to latch on (as noted by Jeff above).

• Like 1

Allegedly there is a fix "coming" for the radio/handoff/signal holding issues the M9 is experiencing (according to a Sprint reply to my tweets about it). When it's coming, no one can/will say, but this is a known issue for many.

Is there some setting we can tweak? I notice that when going from say a B41 area to outside it's range, the M9 drops to 3G (unstable) and often to roam/no data. Even when roaming, often get no data. (all roam options are enabled - I've roamed to Verizon LTE). Vice versa, when going from a non-LTE to LTE area, it's definitely not a seamless transition and often takes a airplane mode toggle to latch on (as noted by Jeff above).

I changed the LTE scan timer to be 3 minutes instead of the default 5. It definitely seems to be helping in conjunction with flashing the pre-update radio.

I changed the LTE scan timer to be 3 minutes instead of the default 5. It definitely seems to be helping in conjunction with flashing the pre-update radio.

And was that on a stock or rooted phone?

IF stock - how did you do this?  thx

And was that on a stock or rooted phone?

IF stock - how did you do this? thx

The radio or scan timer? To flash the radio you have to s-off unless someone got around to making a twrp flashable zip...

For the scan timer I used SignalCheck's menu shortcuts to go to data/epst (edit not view) and under advanced there should be the LTE scan timer.

Disclaimer: I have no idea if you have to be rooted to get it to stick or not.

Also on the subject of accessories. I broke my Spigen Ultra hybrid case about two weeks back while trying to get it off. They are extremely snug, probably a bit too snug. So I got a Spigen Neo Hybrid to replace it, and while it doesn't show the exterior of the phone (a reason I got the ultra hybrid the first time) it is possible to get this one off. This is probably because it's a two piece case, and the grippy back is nice too.

• Like 1

I am coming to the conclusion that the HTC One m9 is not so hot for signal chasing.  I made a 200 mile loop in Nebraska.**  After I left Sprint LTE service, I was in what we know as 1x800 (3g) or pockets of no Sprint service.  On the return leg, I was almost back in Fremont, Nebraska still experiencing 1x800 (3G) when I should have picked up LTE well by then according to Sensorly maps.

It was not until I was back in north Fremont that I pulled over and double checked my settings, etc.

Even after stopping Sensorly, LTE Discovery and Signal Check Pro, my HTC One m9 was using the Nickerson tower at 1x800 (3g).

In other words,even with the built in Sprint Connection Optimizer, it failed to pick up LTE when I returned to LTE territory. Even after stopping the three apps and doing the manual Airplane switch, my HTC One m9 switched to LTE band 25 at Sapp Bros in North Fremont, NE.  After I went on the US Hwy 275 bypass, the HTC One m9 reverted to 1x800 (3G) over half way back to Omaha.

Going over the same ground on the way up from Omaha, I was getting Sprint LTE service in various bands - mostly band 25 and some band 26.

** Fremont, NE to Columbus, NE up to Norfolk, NE and return via US Hwy 275.

My LG G Pad was no better.

I'm not saying I told you it was.... well, wait, I did.  :D   I wouldn't bother man, it's way to sketchy at it's current state to trust what you're seeing. 

*Hit me up via PM about your Gpad, I may have a consolation gift for your efforts, while futile and fruitless for the most part, your effort is commendable! Thanks 

• Like 1

Also on the subject of accessories. I broke my Spigen Ultra hybrid case about two weeks back while trying to get it off. They are extremely snug, probably a bit too snug. So I got a Spigen Neo Hybrid to replace it, and while it doesn't show the exterior of the phone (a reason I got the ultra hybrid the first time) it is possible to get this one off. This is probably because it's a two piece case, and the grippy back is nice too.

I am also using the spigen ultra hybrid on my m9, its a great case.  I also have one for the edge as well.

Just got the neo-hybrid yesterday and so far I like it.

Grippy back, lip to prevent accidental scratches if face down, easy button pushes (though still learning to grab differently as to not always hit the power button)...now figuring out which glass to get.

I haven't had a case since my OG Evo but after I was forced to get the M9 when my M7 took a header out of my pocket and landed face down on a boat deck (complete shatter), I'm not taking anymore chances.

If it is a Sprint device with a Sprint SIM inserted, I would be surprised if Rogers is both connected and usable.  Somebody else can chime in -- because the apple cart has been totally upset in Canada now -- but Sprint historically roams on Bell and Telus, not Rogers.

AJ

That information is definitely not current.

Capture.PNG

Feel free to play along: http://support.sprint.com/support/international/roaming?INTNAV=ATG:HE:SPT:INTL_TRAV#!/

• Like 1

I am now reading some IMO troubling news to me. Some people updating or reloading the m9 PRL are getting indications of no SIM card.

https://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/205603?start=135&tstart=0

It's temporary and goes aways usually quickly. I've seen it happen once, not a big deal.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On a recent round trip outside Sprint LTE territory and returning to LTE territory, I tried the often recommended trick of turning on Airplane mode for a several seconds and back off to try to get better mobile cell phone towers or the one in front of you.

Everytime that I did, Lookout created a photo and email.  For the next few days, my battery usage report showed Lookout at 43% of battery usage.  Also the battery dropped 20+ per cent very quickly.  I had battery recharge periods of 10+ hours.   I finally set all the battery saver settings.  The phone got to a full charge in a very reasonable time after that.

I got mad and turned the phone totally off. I gave it a good twenty minutes before turning the phone back on.  It appears that Lookout is now down to it's more reasonable battery useage.

As long as I leave the battery saver on, the battery stays charged for a good long time.

On a recent round trip outside Sprint LTE territory and returning to LTE territory, I tried the often recommended trick of turning on Airplane mode for a several seconds and back off to try to get better mobile cell phone towers or the one in front of you.

Everytime that I did, Lookout created a photo and email. For the next few days, my battery usage report showed Lookout at 43% of battery usage. Also the battery dropped 20+ per cent very quickly. I had battery recharge periods of 10+ hours. I finally set all the battery saver settings. The phone got to a full charge in a very reasonable time after that.

I got mad and turned the phone totally off. I gave it a good twenty minutes before turning the phone back on. It appears that Lookout is now down to it's more reasonable battery useage.

As long as I leave the battery saver on, the battery stays charged for a good long time.

Disable Lookout, unless you are loading apps from seedy corners of the interwebs, you really don't need that app/service sucking the life out of your battery.
  • Like 1

Do some devices have a setting LTE only?   A member here indicated he could even set an m9 to a specific LTE band when signal hunting.  I assume that requires a rooted device.  Am i missing something? I do not want to root my device simply because I do not know what i am doing with a rooted device.

Can we set the m9 to LTE only?

Do some devices have a setting LTE only?   A member here indicated he could even set an m9 to a specific LTE band when signal hunting.  I assume that requires a rooted device.  Am i missing something? I do not want to root my device simply because I do not know what i am doing with a rooted device.

Can we set the m9 to LTE only?

*#*#4636#*#*

AJ

• Like 1