HTC One M9 User Thread

COZisBack

Edit: links are apparently boned with the tapatalk in using. Check pages 4-6 of the thread.

Sooo . . . is this a joke, linking back to the same post?

Sent from Tapatalk on either my HTC One M9 or Tab4 10.1, it kinda depends

Crapatalk broken link >.>.
  • Like 1

Initial impressions must not be very good, since nobody in here is talking about their experience with the M9.

Have you read the whole thread? Plus I don't think there are many of us in here so far.....it's by far the best device out so far IMO. Sure there are better innovative ones (s6 edge), but total package wise this phone is the only one worth upgrading to right now IMO. I was set to pick up a new n5 and a couple extra batteries until I found my m9, and I don't regret snagging it.

Have you read the whole thread? Plus I don't think there are many of us in here so far.....it's by far the best device out so far IMO. Sure there are better innovative ones (s6 edge), but total package wise this phone is the only one worth upgrading to right now IMO. I was set to pick up a new n5 and a couple extra batteries until I found my m9, and I don't regret snagging it.

Yes I've read it. A new software update came out roughly 5 days ago, and I'm still waiting to see what improvements were included and what changes users are seeing. If you have the new update and would care to share that would be awesome. I upgraded to a Nexus 6 last week, and I'm rapidly approaching the end of my 14 day period for me to decide whether I want to get the M9 instead or keep this. 

Any feedback would be cool. Honestly my biggest factor for wanting to switch is the Front facing Ultra Pixel camera on the M9. The Front cam on the Nexus 6 is garbage and my Snapchat game is being heavily affected  :pinch:

• Like 1

Yes I've read it. A new software update came out roughly 5 days ago, and I'm still waiting to see what improvements were included and what changes users are seeing. If you have the new update and would care to share that would be awesome. I upgraded to a Nexus 6 last week, and I'm rapidly approaching the end of my 14 day period for me to decide whether I want to get the M9 instead or keep this.

Any feedback would be cool. Honestly my biggest factor for wanting to switch is the Front facing Ultra Pixel camera on the M9. The Front cam on the Nexus 6 is garbage and my Snapchat game is being heavily affected [emoji14]inch:

I'm modified as much as I can be without s-off and xposed already...and I haven't had the poor battery/overheating issues that the general user base have been experiencing so I've been putting off using the rru. I wanted a n6 until I saw the size, m9 is just about the right size for me where as the n6 is too damn big for a phone IMO.

I'm modified as much as I can be without s-off and xposed already...and I haven't had the poor battery/overheating issues that the general user base have been experiencing so I've been putting off using the rru. I wanted a n6 until I saw the size, m9 is just about the right size for me where as the n6 is too damn big for a phone IMO.

Haha yeah I figured I would adapt to the size. I'm much more accustomed to it now than I was when I first took it out of the box. But I didn't know how bad the front facing camera was, that it's exponentially worse than my previous M8. So I expect the ultrapixel camera to be a major upgrade over this.

Also I saw and held the Gunmetal M9 at the store the other day, and while the Nexus 6 is a nicely built phone, the metal body of the M9 is just unparalleled in my opinion, along the smaller size felt much better in hand compared to this N6

• Like 1

any word of rf performance, especially compared to the m8 or nexus 5?

From what I've seen so far it's pretty bad compared to my G3 and Flex 2 and a smudge worse than my M8. Several dbm lower on rx band 25 and 41.

I got mine on 3/31, and have been very pleased.  The camera's weaknesses can be greatly helped with saving some specific manual settings (slight increase in saturation and contrast with marked decrease of sharpness) as a Custom camera.  The macro is awesome.  Check out hamdir's posts in xda's forums.

It's characteristically smooth (thanks to Sense!) and quick.  I wish I could speak to its RF performance, but living in nTelos-land (especially with recent wonkiness on the network!) precludes that.

From what I've seen so far it's pretty bad compared to my G3 and Flex 2 and a smudge worse than my M8. Several dbm lower on rx band 25 and 41.

Maybe you got a dud, mine holds onto LTE as good as my n5 with the 1.15 radio that over inflated db readings. I pick up b41 in places now at ~ -95db strength where I couldn't get it on LTE without it being forced, same goes for the other bands. I haven't seen 3g since I picked up my m9, and I used to have to toggle it 15-20 times a day with my n5.

These observations are from the KC area, will be taking a trip back to STL (for life in color) next weekend so I'll update how it fairs there, my home is notorious for shitty signal for all the carriers.

• Like 3

Maybe you got a dud, mine holds onto LTE as good as my n5 with the 1.15 radio that over inflated db readings. I pick up b41 in places now at ~ -95db strength where I couldn't get it on LTE without it being forced, same goes for the other bands. I haven't seen 3g since I picked up my m9, and I used to have to toggle it 15-20 times a day with my n5.

These observations are from the KC area, will be taking a trip back to STL (for life in color) next weekend so I'll update how it fairs there, my home is notorious for shitty signal for all the carriers.

I'm seeing the same here and I have N5 as well and a G2 (it was pretty solid but no N5) and comparing, the M9 is definitely doing a better job not only latching on, but staying with the usable band.  

• Like 3

In case anyone else failed to notice, s-off is now available through sunshine as of yesterday! I'll be commencing with s-offing in a few minutes.

I was thinking about holding off a bit, but then I dropped my M7 face down on the boat deck on a whale watching cruise with my daughter on Saturday. Walked into BB Sunday afternoon and they told me I had about 8 minutes left on my M7 geek squad coverage but the deductible was wither $100 or $150...I figured the extra $50 or $100 would be worth it to upgrade...then find out I can lease it for $1 a month, no taxes even so I pulled the trigger. Ordering a Spigen case shortly and possibly a glass protector.

I immediately did the OTA, then unlocked, rooted and installed Captain Throwback's TWRP, Sunshined it for S-OFF, installed the Bad Boyz ROM and slapped in a 64GB SD. I'm following hamdir's thread on XDA for the camera settings but haven't had an opportunity to take any photos. I'll have to wait a few cycles for battery since I got it at 70% and ran it into the ground initially and it will take a while for the ROM to settle. Pretty sure the wakelock issue isn't solved yet either (My M7 was getting killed on 5.0.2) so hopefully we'll be seeing 5.1 soon since it's out for Nexus.

Not seeing (feeling?) the thermal issues, but IIRC they did some thermal management in the update that supposedly impacts performance, however I'm not seeing it. It's super fast, super smooth to this point. I also notice the screen doesn't pick up fingerprints like my M7 did. Still getting used to the button placement, after 2 years I instinctively reach for the top of the phone for power.

I always just use the double-tap to wake the phone.  For turning off, I've really come to like Gravity sensor app.

Welcome to the M9 club!

The "Turn off screen" nav button is handy! It makes up for not having a "proper" tap on/tap off functionality on the screen because you can that button from ANY screen. :)

man this phone must not be popular with 4 days of no posts...anybody experiencing the horrid LTE flipping/dropping that's all over XDA and Sprint Community? I'm really frustrated with the radio in this thing as there are a few areas where I used to get at least 3G signal on my M7 are dropping me to 1x or no data at all and areas where LTE is supposed to be it's having issues sticking.

man this phone must not be popular with 4 days of no posts...anybody experiencing the horrid LTE flipping/dropping that's all over XDA and Sprint Community? I'm really frustrated with the radio in this thing as there are a few areas where I used to get at least 3G signal on my M7 are dropping me to 1x or no data at all and areas where LTE is supposed to be it's having issues sticking.

Rf has definitely taken a hit on this update. Even then it's still not bad, it room a cross state trip for me to notice, and even with performance decreasing I still held at least 1x in areas I used to roam in on my n5 (granted there is a new tower in the area...). Other than that I got a tempered glass screen protector, neo hybrid ultra, and a quick charge 2.0 brick (45-50 minutes from 0-100%, loving it immensely). Also flashed over to bad boyz rom for the update, after I s-off'd.

badboyz ftw for sure - I've been on their ROMs for years. how do you like the Spigen? which screen protector. would like to find one that covers the entire glass (zagg doesn't)

it is unsettling hearing these polar opposites views when it comes to rf performance. I have an m8 and would love an m9 if the rf is better. I just moved into a rural area when service is kind of spotty but sprint claims to have fair LTE coverage. Hoping the m9 might fix some of that.

badboyz ftw for sure - I've been on their ROMs for years. how do you like the Spigen? which screen protector. would like to find one that covers the entire glass (zagg doesn't)

I have a skinomi tempered glass that covers almost the full screen, leaves a bit on the sides for certain styles of case. I got mine in space crystal (was either this or gunmetal, but decided to not double up...) and I love it. This is my go to case since I got my first on my n5, protects well but doesn't add much bulk. Obviously not for those who need Max protection, but I rarely ever have a need for a case (mainly pocket protection tbh) so they're perfect.

I have noticed that it switches between LTE and 3G a little more often than my M8 did but still waaaayyyy better than the old Evo LTE so I got not complaints about that just yet. Not nearly as good as the Nexus 6 I had for a few days tho, that thing almost never dropped down to 3G. 

What I have noticed is that after ending a phone call, it does take significantly longer to reconnect to data. Not sure if it's just mine or if a radio update is needed for this phone.

Also the battery life was absolutely horrendous on this phone for the first 4 days or so but I guess the rom finally settled down or something because now battery life is much better. Comparable to if not better than my M8 after the lollipop update.