RedSpark

WiFi Calling Support For iOS Coming Soon?

burnout8488    492

It should. Go to settings>general>about and scroll down to the "Carrier" field. What does it say?

I'm on Sprint 25.0, PRL 54056.

Maybe only the 6 and above get SMS over Wi-Fi? 

RAvirani    759

I'm on Sprint 25.0, PRL 54056.

Maybe only the 6 and above get SMS over Wi-Fi?

Possibly...if you're on wifi and you keep clicking that field until you get to "IMS Status" what does it say?

burnout8488    492

Possibly...if you're on wifi and you keep clicking that field until you get to "IMS Status" what does it say?

Ha, it says Voice & SMS. Guess it was just a glitch earlier. :-)

• Like 1

RAvirani    759

Ha, it says Voice & SMS. Guess it was just a glitch earlier. :-)

There you go :)

So is that strictly SMS or is it SMS/MMS? I have several family members who would be really happy if it is also MMS...

TheCUJuan    162

So I thought I had read somewhere that with iOS 10 you'll be able to go from wifi calling to the sprint tower network seamlessly. Is this the case? I would actually use wifi calling if it worked like that instead of just dropping the call if wifi strength drops...

burnout8488    492

So I thought I had read somewhere that with iOS 10 you'll be able to go from wifi calling to the sprint tower network seamlessly. Is this the case? I would actually use wifi calling if it worked like that instead of just dropping the call if wifi strength drops...

I believe that is only possible once VoLTE is enabled, which is likely years off for Sprint. 

anthony.spina97    1,591

I believe that is only possible once VoLTE is enabled, which is likely years off for Sprint. 

I'm 98% sure that WiFi to CDMA handoffs are working now. Don't quote me on that though, as I've never tested it, but I remember reading it after we discovered the WiFi calling changes in iOS 10.

-Anthony

• Like 1

TheCUJuan    162

That would be HUGE and would lead me to keep wifi calling on all the time. It's too glitchy otherwise

lilotimz    10,864

Sprint has adopted the Wifi Calling standard that apple uses which is pretty much mostly based on the well known and adopted 3GPP standards. That's why recent android devices could not do SMS over WiFi as they don't use the old proprietary IMS core. 

The new wifi calling implementation will allow WiFi calling to CDMA soft handoffs. 

Deval    2,868

Sprint has adopted the Wifi Calling standard that apple uses which is pretty much mostly based on the well known and adopted 3GPP standards. That's why recent android devices could not do SMS over WiFi as they don't use the old proprietary IMS core. 

The new wifi calling implementation will allow WiFi calling to CDMA soft handoffs. 

Really? Has that been verified yet? 

RAvirani    759

Really? Has that been verified yet?

By me :). It does not always work though. I want to say it's worked about 70% of the time on my iPhone 6S.

RAvirani    759

So is that strictly SMS or is it SMS/MMS? I have several family members who would be really happy if it is also MMS...

Strictly SMS.

Deval    2,868

I guess we'll see with next week's OS10 release.

burnout8488    492

https://regmyudid.cc/downloads/profiles/

(On your iPhone) Tap first profile in the list, install it, and the iOS 10 GM will show up in Software Update after a reboot. No need to wait! Delete the profile after iOS10 has loaded and you'll be all set. 

This is next Wednesday's release, so it's not cheating. 8-) 

RAvirani    759

For all of those who want to see the wifi calling to CDMA smooth handoff in action I posted a secret YouTube video of it:

payturr    622

For all of those who want to see the wifi calling to CDMA smooth handoff in action I posted a secret YouTube video of it:

Nice! Any chance we can see it happen mid conversation tho?

RAvirani    759

I'll get another video tomorrow when I can grab someone else's phone to call.

burnout8488    492

Why did it switch to CDMA when voicemail took over? It looks like it was still connected to Wi-Fi during the call, was there a reason it went to CDMA instead of the call staying on Wi-Fi?

What I'd like to test is making a call, then slowly walking down the street until my phone drops home Wi-Fi to see if it still stays connected.

RAvirani    759

Why did it switch to CDMA when voicemail took over? It looks like it was still connected to Wi-Fi during the call, was there a reason it went to CDMA instead of the call staying on Wi-Fi?

What I'd like to test is making a call, then slowly walking down the street until my phone drops home Wi-Fi to see if it still stays connected.

The phone determines when the wifi conditions are inadequate and hands you over accordingly from my observations. I purposefully went into a room with a sporty wifi connection.

burnout8488    492

The phone determines when the wifi conditions are inadequate and hands you over accordingly from my observations. I purposefully went into a room with a sporty wifi connection.

I think it's too much of a coincidence that it switched to the Macro network as soon as the call connected, though. I guess it just didn't seem like a "handoff" in the video, it just "switched" before the call began. 

I just went outside and started a call on wifi, then walked away from the wifi while talking to someone. It became spotty and eventually I got the Call Failed message. No handoff.

iPhone 5C, Sprint 25.0 Carrier, iOS 10.0.1. 

Has anyone else tried this type of scenario yet? This seems like the most common situation, like receiving a call in the garage on wifi, then driving away from the house.

burnout8488    492

Just had a call between two phones on Sprint Wi-Fi calling w/iOS 10.0.1 and the HD voice was perfect. So that's working!  :tu:

• Like 1

Deval    2,868

Just had a call between two phones on Sprint Wi-Fi calling w/iOS 10.0.1 and the HD voice was perfect. So that's working!  :tu:

Can you test SMS over WIFI as well?

RAvirani    759

Can you test SMS over WIFI as well?

I've tested that. It works seamlessly. MMS does not work though...

nobius    459

Anyone use YouMail that can test to see if that works now with WiFi calling?