RedSpark

WiFi Calling Support For iOS Coming Soon?

RedSpark    2,732

Does anyone know the latest on WiFi Calling Support for iOS, and why it hasn't launched yet? Sprint's CFO made an announcement back on December 2, 2014 that it would launch in 60-90 days, but it's been radio silence since. What's going on?

• Like 1

S4GRU    54,556

Does anyone know the latest on WiFi Calling Support for iOS, and why it hasn't launched yet? Sprint's CFO made an announcement back on December 2, 2014 that it would launch in 60-90 days, but it's been radio silence since. What's going on?

No news. It didn't happen within the timeline he indicated. Since not one more word has come out, my guess is he wasn't supposed to say anything yet, because plans were not finalized.

RedSpark    2,732

Jeez. Is WiFi calling support for iOS still coming? What could be causing the delay? Sprint already supports WiFi calling on Android and it uses the same vendor (Taqua) as T-Mobile does for its WiFi calling feature.

jamisonshaw125    3,594

This is just fuel for the fire. Fabian will love this.

Edit: Hi Fabian.

• Like 1

RedSpark    2,732

This is just fuel for the fire. Fabian will love this.

Edit: Hi Fabian.

Who's Fabian?

Deval    2,868

Who's Fabian?

A well-known internet troll / magenta fan-boy

RedSpark    2,732

A well-known internet troll / magenta fan-boy

Oh? Where?

Deval    2,868

Oh? Where?

Usually FierceWireless, Tmonews, and trolling here with some accounts.

9690austin    48

Who's Fabian?

T-Mobile Fanboy is an Understatment. He's annoying he wants to argue and nothing is wrong with T-Mo and Sprint just is horrible. I'm pretty sure he already made a comment about this topic somewhere. 

jamisonshaw125    3,594

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428531675.036044.jpg

Works for me. Even made a call and it worked and was pretty clear to an att customer.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Crapatalk

• Like 4

ZebraDude    26

well if you are like me and have Google voice carrier integration enabled you are unable to have WIFI calling.

:wall:  

mc_gusto    827

well if you are like me and have Google voice carrier integration enabled you are unable to have WIFI calling.

:wall:

Really? What is it telling you? Works on Android and gv integration.

ZebraDude    26

Really? What is it telling you? Works on Android and gv integration.

I get this request page popping up. See attached screen print. 7f4a422fb57838968d7a03545d32196b.jpg

mc_gusto    827

I get this request page popping up. See attached screen print. 7f4a422fb57838968d7a03545d32196b.jpg

That sucks. In the other post it also says it will be disabled.

RedSpark    2,732

It does not appear so on my iPhone 6+. I have been toying with it and no luck on enabling WiFi calling.

Did you go to "About" and update your carrier settings?

See: Wi-Fi Calling FAQ's

iOS Devices: Wi-Fi Calling is only available on iPhone 5c, 5s, 6, and 6 Plus models.  It requires iOS version 8.3 and the Carrier Version 19.1 or higher. To update to iOS 8.3, go to Settings>General>Software Update. To update the Carrier Version go to Settings>General>About which will trigger the update. Complete this step after the 8.3 Upgrade.

MacinJosh    3,988

So, how much bandwidth are Wi-Fi calls taking? Is it low?

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk 3.1.1

Just tried this with someone with an iPhone 6 Plus. It didn't sound like the call was in HD, but it was better than a normal non-HD call. Anyone else experience this?

Vince    2,121

Just tried this with someone with an iPhone 6 Plus. It didn't sound like the call was in HD, but it was better than a normal non-HD call. Anyone else experience this?

Better call quality is typical of all wifi calling. Sprint HD calling is not compatible with the iPhone wifi calling, or maybe wifi calling in general.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

Vince    2,121

It does not appear so on my iPhone 6+. I have been toying with it and no luck on enabling WiFi calling.

You can't get it activated? Or you just don't see wifi calling (settings - phone)? iOS 8.3 shipped with Sprint carrier 19.0, but requires carrier 19.1 to enable it. Go to settings - about. It should immediately prompt you to download a new carrier bundle.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

burnout8488    492

IMG_1659.png

Looks like calls are indeed free over Wi-Fi. 

I am speaking to a time warner cable representative on a wifi call right now and it is extremely clear. If it isn't using the same HD Voice codec Sprint normally does, it's gotta be something similar. 

radem    323

So, how much bandwidth are Wi-Fi calls taking? Is it low?

I do not know the exact amount of bandwidth that iPhone WIFI calling uses on Sprint but most VOIP calls with Vonage and similar providers take a maximum of 90kbs in each direction while sound is being broadcast in that direction.  This is much lower than most home and business WIFI networks have for bandwidth.

In the US is very unusual for an internet connection to operate at under 256kbs in each direction unless it is overloaded or the person is using dial-up or a throttled internet connection. 

Do NOT attempt to use WIFI calling over a satellite internet connection as you will not be happy with the results.  Satellite internet has a terribly high data transmission time (nearly a second in many cases) and you will spend all your time talking over each other if it even works.

MacinJosh    3,988

I do not know the exact amount of bandwidth that iPhone WIFI calling uses on Sprint but most VOIP calls with Vonage and similar providers take a maximum of 90kbs in each direction while sound is being broadcast in that direction. This is much lower than most home and business WIFI networks have for bandwidth.

In the US is very unusual for an internet connection to operate at under 256kbs in each direction unless it is overloaded or the person is using dial-up or a throttled internet connection.

Do NOT attempt to use WIFI calling over a satellite internet connection as you will not be happy with the results. Satellite internet has a terribly high data transmission time (nearly a second in many cases) and you will spend all your time talking over each other if it even works.

Thanks. Fortunately, I don't have satellite. And my ping times are usually sub 40's. But when I download, it sucks all the bandwidth up and there is nothing left of my internet connection to do anything. I guess I should enable QoS on my router so I don't mess up calls.