WiFi Calling Support For iOS Coming Soon?

RedSpark

Thanks. Fortunately, I don't have satellite. And my ping times are usually sub 40's. But when I download, it sucks all the bandwidth up and there is nothing left of my internet connection to do anything. I guess I should enable QoS on my router so I don't mess up calls.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk 3.1.1

Definitely enable QOS.  Set your bandwidth for upload and download max bandwidth to 80% of your normal connection speeds to force your router's buffer to be the primary packet buffer on your connection.  Use speedtest.net or similar to see your bandwidth before and after the QOS change.  Then set UDP port 4500 (if Sprint WIFI calling uses the same port as T-Mobile) to the highest priority and your download ports to the lowest priority.  When your router buffer has packets waiting to be sent, it will move your WIFI calling packets to the front of the buffer and your download packets to behind everything else.

Your internet connection will "feel" like it works better as the traffic that you want to be quick will rarely get delayed by your big downloads. Reducing your bandwidth by 20% does not seem intuitive but it really works well once you understand how packet buffers work.  I have been running Vonage over my internet connection for over a decade with QOS in place with no issues.  You do have to watch your router CPU as QOS puts a CPU load on your router.  If your router CPU maxes out, your connection speed will drop like a rock and will be very unhappy.

Definitely enable QOS. Set your bandwidth for upload and download max bandwidth to 80% of your normal connection speeds to force your router's buffer to be the primary packet buffer on your connection. Use speedtest.net or similar to see your bandwidth before and after the QOS change. Then set UDP port 4500 (if Sprint WIFI calling uses the same port as T-Mobile) to the highest priority and your download ports to the lowest priority. When your router buffer has packets waiting to be sent, it will move your WIFI calling packets to the front of the buffer and your download packets to behind everything else.

Your internet connection will "feel" like it works better as the traffic that you want to be quick will rarely get delayed by your big downloads. Reducing your bandwidth by 20% does not seem intuitive but it really works well once you understand how packet buffers work. I have been running Vonage over my internet connection for over a decade with QOS in place with no issues. You do have to watch your router CPU as QOS puts a CPU load on your router. If your router CPU maxes out, your connection speed will drop like a rock and will be very unhappy.

I have a Linksys E1200 N300 router. I'm pretty sure it's going to strain to handle this in the long term, because I'm going to be hosting a small website on it too. In the next few months, I'll looking for another one to replace it.

I just updated today and wifi calling got off to a rocky start, first with choppy voice (my internet is fine I use our VoIP landline on it all the time with excellent results) and then another call dropped 15 minutes in.

I noticed that SMS over wifi is not enabled.

Also as far as voice codec goes it sounds like G.711 to my well trained ears, which is definitely not what T-Mo is using. (AFAICT)

I just updated today and wifi calling got off to a rocky start, first with choppy voice (my internet is fine I use our VoIP landline on it all the time with excellent results) and then another call dropped 15 minutes in.

I noticed that SMS over wifi is not enabled.

Also as far as voice codec goes it sounds like G.711 to my well trained ears, which is definitely not what T-Mo is using. (AFAICT)

What codec is T-mo using? G722?

What codec is T-mo using? G722?

I honestly don't know, but on an iPhone 6 I used last week it definitely didn't sound like G.711. It may have been one of the AMR codecs maybe? That's my suspicion based on how it sounded, and would make sense considering it's supposed to be able to handoff to cellular whereas sprint clearly said there's "would most likely fail" to handoff. (And I don't see how it would handoff from wifi to cellular since I thought T-Mo was doing the handoff from VoWiFi to VoLTE and not to the circuit switched network which is all sprint has.)

Just found out a big negative for WiFi calling for me.  

I use YouMail, and when WiFi calling is turned on, VoiceMail goes through Sprint's voicemail system instead of YouMail's.  I tried the Activate YouMail phone dial sequence and got an audio message that that feature doesn't work when using WiFi Calling.

So I'll have to keep WiFi calling off under most circumstances.

The other thing is "iPhone cellular calls" doesn't work with WiFi calling enabled. (that's the setting so your calls go to other iOS devices too) 

Not a huge deal for me as I didn't use it that much but was convenient. 

So far the WiFi calling has been on and off choppy, like a crappy SIP call. I've never experienced this with T-Mo wifi calling, not two years ago and not last week on a friends iPhone 6. Though not surprised that Sprint's is having trouble, because afterall, it is Sprint... 

After further contemplation - I really have very little need for wifi calling.

There is tower that is part of Project Ocean in our town that is not live yet - but it will solve 99.9% of my Sprint coverage issues. I literally will have zero use for wifi calling once that tower goes live. That's how good Sprint coverage has been for me personally..

While I do think it would be neat to have for traveling out of the country - my normal travels around the continental US really have little to no need for wifi calling.

I just wanted it because the android guys had it. ????

• Like 2

Well now we have it, and I like continuity calling too much, plus my internet connection drops out far too much to use wifi calling for now. Very unreliable ISP lately. Too bad they can't fix the antenna I receive my signal from.

I just disabled mine too. The wifi calling has been nothing but garbage since I got it yesterday, caused nothing but problems. Most of my outgoing calls failed with a fast busy until I disabled it and now alls fine again.

Had a pretty serious issue today and my troubleshooting seems to point to WiFi calling on iPhone.  Today trying to call my Wife who also has an iPhone 6 I kept getting a fast busy signal or going straight to voicemail.  Calling other numbers was generally successful but would sometimes get a fast busy also.  Folks calling me would sometimes get a busy signal or go to voicemail.  Other services such as texts and internet seemed to work fine.  These issues were happening all over town and not just on wifi. I turned the WiFi toggle off and still had issues.  Finally logged onto my acct and removed the WiFi calling provision from both of our lines.  No issues since.  So if anybody with an iPhone is experiencing call issues you might want to try this before taking more drastic measures.   

Had a pretty serious issue today and my troubleshooting seems to point to WiFi calling on iPhone. Today trying to call my Wife who also has an iPhone 6 I kept getting a fast busy signal or going straight to voicemail. Calling other numbers was generally successful but would sometimes get a fast busy also. Folks calling me would sometimes get a busy signal or go to voicemail. Other services such as texts and internet seemed to work fine. These issues were happening all over town and not just on wifi. I turned the WiFi toggle off and still had issues. Finally logged onto my acct and removed the WiFi calling provision from both of our lines. No issues since. So if anybody with an iPhone is experiencing call issues you might want to try this before taking more drastic measures.

I can confirm the same issue here. I toggled it off, logged on to my account and removed the provisioning, and all is well now. This is a big bug, what a headache.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

I can confirm the same issue here. I toggled it off, logged on to my account and removed the provisioning, and all is well now. This is a big bug, what a headache.

Thanks for sharing. I did a support chat and reported it. They had no solution when I called them still having issues. They wanted me to do a wipe and restore as new but I tried removing the provision before doing that and it worked. What is weird is it worked well for a couple of days and today I had the issues. Luckily I have good service at work and home so this is not a huge issue for me right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing. I did a support chat and reported it. They had no solution when I called them still having issues. They wanted me to do a wipe and restore as new but I tried removing the provision before doing that and it worked. What is weird is it worked well for a couple of days and today I had the issues. Luckily I have good service at work and home so this is not a huge issue for me right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too. I don't even need WiFi calling, I just wanted to try it because it was something new. I'll leave it alone for the time being. Hopefully it's not a widespread problem, lots of mutual confusion and head scratching otherwise.

• 1 year later...

Has wifi calling improved since these issues were reported?

iOS 10 will bring updates to WiFi calling on Sprint that allows SMS over WiFi and lets you retain the ability to have HD Voice while WiFi calling is activated on your line. It currently works on the iOS 10 Beta and is much better than before, IMO.

-Anthony

• Like 1

iOS 10 will bring updates to WiFi calling on Sprint that allows SMS over WiFi and lets you retain the ability to have HD Voice while WiFi calling is activated on your line. It currently works on the iOS 10 Beta and is much better than before, IMO.

-Anthony

Sorry, when you say "retain the ability to have HD Voice while WiFi calling is activated on your line", do you mean that the phone can do HD Voice while on cellular and WiFi Calling is activated (but WiFi calls are still non-HD) or does that mean that both cellular and WiFi calls are HD?

-Anthony

I haven't noticed that yet, activated WIFI Calling and lost my HD Voice. 

Will wait till iOS 10 Official just to be on the safe side.

Sorry, when you say "retain the ability to have HD Voice while WiFi calling is activated on your line", do you mean that the phone can do HD Voice while on cellular and WiFi Calling is activated (but WiFi calls are still non-HD) or does that mean that both cellular and WiFi calls are HD?

You retain HD voice when WiFi calling is enabled, while on the cellular network.

-Anthony

• 2 weeks later...

-Anthony

I've got the iOS10 GM installed on my 5C and it will not do SMS over Wi-Fi calling. Has this been documented anywhere?