CellularInfo for iOS: Beta Released (was Coming soon)

nahum365

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/FAQs_about_Sprint_WiFi_calling/173e331f-8423-453e-93cb-4688f6a91f67

Look about half way down the page under the header that says "What phones support Wi-Fi Calling?"

Soon™  ????

EDIT:  confirmed.  Wifi calling is active on 8.3 and Carrier bundle 19.1.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I won't be able to find a new method to get the information until a jailbreak is available. :(

Maybe we'll get lucky and there'll be a jailbreak Soon[emoji769].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Wow, so wifi calling, new features, bug fixes, and a potentially way better carrier bundle for band switching--or CellularInfo. This is going to haunt me today. I love the convenience of this app too much to let it go.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

• Like 2

Wow, so wifi calling, new features, bug fixes, and a potentially way better carrier bundle for band switching--or CellularInfo. This is going to haunt me today. I love the convenience of this app too much to let it go.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

I can't say enough about this app however wifi calling is too tempting. Now all it says is Null.

Unfortunately I won't be able to find a new method to get the information until a jailbreak is available. :(

Maybe we'll get lucky and there'll be a jailbreak Soon[emoji769].

Out of curiosity, what did they change that broke the app?

Out of curiosity, what did they change that broke the app?

There was a private method from the CoreTelephony framework I was using, "CTServerConnectionCellMonitorCopyCellInfo()" to be exact.

It's no longer there, probably removed or renamed.

• Like 1

There was a private method from the CoreTelephony framework I was using, "CTServerConnectionCellMonitorCopyCellInfo()" to be exact.

They heard about what you were doing. Aholes.

• Like 1

I googled that and nothing even came up.  Not sure how you came across that method but I will not update iOS now.  I love your app!

They heard about what you were doing. Aholes.

It's not the first time Apple has broken one of my projects. Back when Siri first came out, me and a couple other guys decided to port Siri to older devices like the iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4. Others had done it, but they were distributing the Siri files themselves- illegal. So we devised a system that made the device download the Siri files from the iOS 5.0.1 OTA update. After we got everything working, Apple randomly took down that OTA and put it back up a couple hours later with some permissions changed, completely breaking our port. It was such a small change, almost a tiny little "ha screw you guys" from Apple. We fixed it within a week though. Hopefully this is a small change too. Just gotta find it.

I googled that and nothing even came up. Not sure how you came across that method but I will not update iOS now. I love your app!

That method wasn't my discovery, if you google a bit more you'd probably find it. I've contacted the guy that originally found it to see if he has an alternative but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to find this one myself.

• Like 2

I miss CellularInfo more than I thought I would, but love how stable 8.3 is. I was looking around the app store and came across an app called Cellular Info. I haven't spent the 2.99 to see if it really works but I'm curious about it since it claims to show the data we're looking for and is being distributed in the app store. My point for bringing it up is not so much to encourage replacing this app, but more so to explore how it might be working (if even it's just an oversight by the app approval God's).

https://appsto.re/us/qMaO4.i

Nahum, if I were you, I would trademark the name "Cellular Info", because when I look at the release notes for that app, it was updated on April 11th and the update notes say "Application renamed to Cellular Info".

-Anthony

• Like 1

I miss CellularInfo more than I thought I would, but love how stable 8.3 is. I was looking around the app store and came across an app called Cellular Info. I haven't spent the 2.99 to see if it really works but I'm curious about it since it claims to show the data we're looking for and is being distributed in the app store. My point for bringing it up is not so much to encourage replacing this app, but more so to explore how it might be working (if even it's just an oversight by the app approval God's).

https://appsto.re/us/qMaO4.i

All it does is show your carrier and the current connected technology. It also includes the max speed for the connection. No band info, dBm signal strengths, or any other "geeky" info. All the information shown is available in the iOS SDK.

Nahum, if I were you, I would trademark the name "Cellular Info", because when I look at the release notes for that app, it was updated on April 11th and the update notes say "Application renamed to Cellular Info".

-Anthony

Not sure of the process for that. I'll look into it soon.

For now let's just assume that no App Store apps can reproduce CellularInfo's features.

• Like 2

All it does is show your carrier and the current connected technology. It also includes the max speed for the connection. No band info, dBm signal strengths, or any other "geeky" info. All the information shown is available in the iOS SDK.

Yeah, I was waiting for a table when I found and typed that out. When I got home to my computer I realized it probably wasn't exactly what I thought. I think the line that got me is Detect LTE operation bands supported by your carrier. When read quickly that's a very sneaky line.

Not sure of the process for that. I'll look into it soon.

For now let's just assume that no App Store apps can reproduce CellularInfo's features.

Oh I can probably guarantee that no App Store app can reproduce what our CellularInfo can do. I'm just saying you should trademark the name so that people, like this guy on the App Store, can't make money off of it. I'll do some research also about trademarking a name too.

-Anthony

After some further investigation.. I have some bad news. iOS now checks if the app is running as root before returning the information from CoreTelephony. 
The error is:

"Caller not allowed to perform action: TelephonyApiTest.240, action = sandboxed lookup, code = 1: Operation not permitted, uid = 501, euid = 501, gid = 501, egid = 501, asid = 0"

and it returns no info. This kills all hope of a non-jailbreak CellularInfo. If an 8.3 jailbreak is released I'll be sure to release an un-sandboxed version for jailbroken users. 

• Like 1

After some further investigation.. I have some bad news. iOS now checks if the app is running as root before returning the information from CoreTelephony. 

The error is:

"Caller not allowed to perform action: TelephonyApiTest.240, action = sandboxed lookup, code = 1: Operation not permitted, uid = 501, euid = 501, gid = 501, egid = 501, asid = 0"

and it returns no info. This kills all hope of a non-jailbreak CellularInfo. If an 8.3 jailbreak is released I'll be sure to release an un-sandboxed version for jailbroken users. 

Well now I have to decide whether to have firm email on my phone or jailbreak and not.

This may be the influence of my return to andriod.

• Like 3

The error is:

Well a video was released the other day of iOS 8.4 beta being jailbroken, so we may be in luck. We shall see.

-Anthony