CellularInfo for iOS: Beta Released (was Coming soon)

nahum365

You and Josh's stories make me relish in the fact that I have a PC :) Sorry you guys aren't allowed to do it the easier way :/

-Anthony

Unless it's Option-Click on the Check for Update button.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk 3.1.1

Unless it's Option-Click on the Check for Update button.

Oh, I figured you had tried that already. I was under the impression that when Mac people see someone say to hit Shift that they just automatically used the Option key... because that's how you do it on Mac...

-Anthony

Just ketchup and mustard, please. Hold the relish. Hmm. I think I'll go get a hit dog for lunch.

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

There's hit dogs now O.O'? Actually it makes sense now why "man's best friend" watches us all the time...
  • Like 2

Just FYI, mikejeep holds at least the de facto trademark on "SignalCheck" for a mobile app.  So, no offense, but staff must consult and decide how to handle this thread.

I applaud your efforts.  mikejeep has said in the past he doesn't have the resources to do an iOS app.  So I don't believe he will be anything other than happy that you work on the project.  I think he has even encouraged others to do it.  However, the use of the SignalCheck name is completely up to him.  Hopefully he will weigh in with his thoughts soon.

Maybe he even will want to work with you on it?  I make no promises, of course.

Thanks for stepping in for me, AJ and Robert! The OP sent me a PM within minutes of you guys posting and PMing me as well. As I mentioned somewhere around here a couple of weeks ago, I'm not able to get online much until next week.

I actually have legal rights to the name, and just to keep things from getting too confusing, I'd ask that you use a different one. I'm constantly bombarded with requests to port it to iOS, and I don't want someone to think I'm behind your app (or you're behind mine). I'm completely flattered and humbled that the name has earned some marketing appeal! Soon it will be like Kleenex, Rollerblades, and Band-Aids..

As far as the idea, I'm all for it; like Robert said, I wish I could branch out, but don't have the time to devote to learning another language and developing for another OS. As much as I wish I could, Android keeps me more than busy, and the inability to get it on the App Store is a big hurdle. But I'll keep an eye on this thread and help out with whatever info might be useful. OP, feel free to give me a shout if there's something you think I might be able to help with. My wife has an iPhone so I'll steal it off the night stand and install this at some point! She will be thrilled.. haha..

-Mike

• Like 13

I'm trying to add identification for Clear/Sprint B41, what's the most reliable method to tell the difference in Field Test?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In field test? I'm not exactly sure. The way they do it on Android is they look at the MCC-MNC, which isn't displayed in Field Test.

-Anthony

I'm trying to add identification for Clear/Sprint B41, what's the most reliable method to tell the difference in Field Test?

So far, the only way I know the difference is if the Tracking Area Code (TAC) is different between Band 25 and Band 41. However, I'm not in markets where Band 26 is deployed, so I can't vouch if Band 26 carries the same TAC as Band 25.

• Like 1

In field test? I'm not exactly sure. The way they do it on Android is they look at the MCC-MNC, which isn't displayed in Field Test.

-Anthony

I can grab those easily, perfect.

• Like 3

Can't wait! Thanks for the efforts! I hope this gets to the App Store and you charge for it, I'll gladly pay either way!

This app won't ever be in the App Store- it grabs data using private APIs which violates lots of App Store rules. It's going to be distributed via Cydia on jailbroken phones.

• Like 1

This app won't ever be in the App Store- it grabs data using private APIs which violates lots of App Store rules. It's going to be distributed via Cydia on jailbroken phones.

Speaking of Cydia, how's your progress on your beta build? I hope everything is coming along swimmingly. :)

-Anthony

Speaking of Cydia, how's your progress on your beta build? I hope everything is coming along swimmingly. :)

-Anthony

Code-wise it's complete, just having issues packaging it. I haven't created a Cydia package before and it's proving to be a lot more complicated than the App Store's one-click submit. The actual application and the background process work fine, but the Notification Center widget is always terminated immediately after I attempt to start it. I'll get it fixed soon.

• Like 6

I'll jailbreak my phone the moment you get it up in Cydia haha. So excited

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Crapatalk

Same here. I'll jailbreak once it's on Cydia.

Can't you distribute it to a certain number of users without using the app store?  

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/IDEs/Conceptual/AppDistributionGuide/TestingYouriOSApp/TestingYouriOSApp.html

Couldn't we pitch in for a developer account for him? Aren't those capable of having 100 users or "beta testers" linked to that account? That might make it legit, unless there's an expiration on how long you app can be in beta without actually moving to iTunes.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

Couldn't we pitch in for a developer account for him? Aren't those capable of having 100 users or "beta testers" linked to that account? That might make it legit, unless there's an expiration on how long you app can be in beta without actually moving to iTunes.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

Would TestFlight work for distribution, or will Apple check the app for private API's before TestFlight distribution?

http://9to5mac.com/2015/02/12/apple-testflight-groups/

Apple Testflight has two different distribution modes- Internal Testing and External Testing. Internal testing is limited to 100 devices (I've already registered 46 on my account), and external testing allows you to distribute to 1000 testers, but the app is reviewed before being distributed. Also: This makes it impossible to have a background process that shows the LTE band in the status bar, among other things.

What about a wifi strength app/widget with a nice little Easter egg that only some know about? [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone 6+

That's an extremely easy way to get banned from the App Store permanently. :P

• Like 3

Bloop

Still working on it. The un-sandboxed (jailbreak) portions of it are proving to be harder than I thought they would be. Buuuut because I'm extremely busy right now, I'm willing to distribute it to individual devices. Basically just the Notification Center widget, no fancy features without root access. Anyone that wants to try it can just PM me their email and I'll get you set up.

• Like 1