Spark Coverage maps getting a makeover

dkyeager

Sprint appears to be redoing the B41 Coverage map on a city by city basis.  Much more realistic than prior version.   Slight exaggeration remains in a few local spots, but this is far far outweighed by B41 that is not shown.  http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?INTNAV=SJS:HE:Cov

• Like 1

Sprint appears to be redoing the B41 Coverage map on a city by city basis.  Much more realistic than prior version.   Slight exaggeration remains in a few local spots, but this is far far outweighed by B41 that is not shown.  http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?INTNAV=SJS:HE:Cov

We all know Sprint has a coverage map on there own page "http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?INTNAV=ATG:HE:Cov".... I did not see any difference at all, they need a new "coverage check" map period!! At&t and T-mobile are the only ones that did a major redo, I wish Sprint would too!! 

I do agree with you on the "Slight exaggeration" however I feel with the "orange" 4GLTE (1900/800) its WAY OVER exaggerated!!!!

• Like 2

I think I mentioned this elsewhere, but the map is now VERY accurate on where you can pick up 2600 in Charlotte, at least in my part of it. It still shows regular LTE in 3G-only zones though, but not as bad as it used to.

• Like 1

I think I mentioned this elsewhere, but the map is now VERY accurate on where you can pick up 2600 in Charlotte, at least in my part of it. It still shows regular LTE in 3G-only zones though, but not as bad as it used to.

Has Sprint started to optimize the Charlotte area since January 1st?  I looked at the map where I was over the holidays and it says the LTE signal should be fair with Turbo available.  I was lucky to have one bar of 3G signal inside and two bars of 3G outside.  I was not able to receive a LTE signal.

Has Sprint started to optimize the Charlotte area since January 1st? I looked at the map where I was over the holidays and it says the LTE signal should be fair with Turbo available. I was lucky to have one bar of 3G signal inside and two bars of 3G outside. I was not able to receive a LTE signal.

800 optimizations have begun (I noticed improvements in a couple of areas (in and around Matthews) in late December), but some areas are still spotty. What part of town was it in, if I may ask? I've been able to pick up 41 in all of the islands of turbo in the south Charlotte area (between Pineville and Matthews).

I still interpret "fair" LTE to mean frequent drops to 3G.

• Like 3

800 optimizations have begun (I noticed improvements in a couple of areas (in and around Matthews) in late December), but some areas are still spotty. What part of town was it in, if I may ask? I've been able to pick up 41 in all of the islands of turbo in the south Charlotte area (between Pineville and Matthews).

I still interpret "fair" LTE to mean frequent drops to 3G.

I was in Concord close to Hwy 73 and I-85. 

I was in Concord close to Hwy 73 and I-85. 

I don't travel up there much (when I do I'm usually going up 85 to Greensboro), but I do know Sprint could use some density improvement. As far as Turbo goes, there do appear to be some spots of it that don't agree with our maps. I will say that I have seen 41 stretch almost as far as needed to reach those patches though. Maybe they are still working on upping power levels. The 4 41 sites closest to me started with power levels turned way down (range was less than a mile) and then had them upped at some point in the past 25 or so days. Range is now comparable to 25 from the same towers as long as you are outdoors.

It also looks like LTE coverage shades have been fixed in areas as well! Tyler no longer has those extra spots southwest near palestine. I noticed it last night, but the b41 differences were not there yet.
  • Like 1

I don't travel up there much (when I do I'm usually going up 85 to Greensboro), but I do know Sprint could use some density improvement. As far as Turbo goes, there do appear to be some spots of it that don't agree with our maps. I will say that I have seen 41 stretch almost as far as needed to reach those patches though. Maybe they are still working on upping power levels. The 4 41 sites closest to me started with power levels turned way down (range was less than a mile) and then had them upped at some point in the past 25 or so days. Range is now comparable to 25 from the same towers as long as you are outdoors.

The density at this time seems to be ok.  There is one b41 8t8r tower with b26 about 1 1/2 miles away and another b26 tower about 1 mile away from where I was staying.  I was able to receive b41 form the tower above when I could see the tower and no obstructions within eye site (300 to 400 yards).  I will be returning there in a couple of months so I hope that they will have it optimized and powered correctly by then.

• Like 1

They finally fixed the Florida coverage map. Looks way more accurate but it also shows how little Spark they have. Long way to go.

That is a huge difference from what it showed before! At least it's more accurate now. It also doesn't appear to be reflecting any new 8T8R installs in Clear - Ericsson markets, so at this point, there may actually be more Spark coverage than the maps show, rather than less like before. Some of the Samsung markets do seem to reflect some of the new 8T8Rs.

whats funny i just found on the maps.....

the wide view is ehhhh for band 41....

but when you go closer and it shows the turbo....those are right around the towers...

now tomorrow i have to go out by some ones i havent mapped yet, so ill double check....to see if they are live

Which parts of Los Angeles?

All parts from what I can tell.  I must have clicked on the maps a few minutes after they were updated.  The maps say updated 1/14/15.

(You have to zoom in to the level where you can see the differentiation between turbo and non-turbo.)

• Like 1

Is there really a difference between turbo and regular spark? I checked the map for my area and I'm in a turbo location. I'm glad they are making right the map but if they want to really make it right just redesign the whole map and get it out that block window it's been in for years and years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there really a difference between turbo and regular spark? I checked the map for my area and I'm in a turbo location. I'm glad they are making right the map but if they want to really make it right just redesign the whole map and get it out that block window it's been in for years and years.

Turbo is probably where you'll hit peak speeds at, and regular spark is just B41 coverage.

All parts from what I can tell.  I must have clicked on the maps a few minutes after they were updated.  The maps say updated 1/14/15.

(You have to zoom in to the level where you can see the differentiation between turbo and non-turbo.)

You can ignore the "update" date, it just shows today no matter if the map has actually been updated or not.

We have a thread for this question: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6720-spark-v-spark-turbo/

I am under the Turbo area on the map and I don't get anything higher than 10-15Mbps on Clearwire B41. :P My area needs B26 optimization badly, there are a few locations that have great B25/B41 outside but inside is 3G only. You will find yourself occasionally connecting to B26/B41 but you don't stay on it for more than a few seconds as the signal is terrible.

Turbo is probably where you'll hit peak speeds at, and regular spark is just B41 coverage.

I hate the label of Spark Turbo in addition to Sprint Spark and 4G LTE.  There is enough confusion already as it is.  Just have the Sprint Spark and 4G LTE labels and it gives the customer enough information on what to expect.  Its unnecessary to single out the specific towers that have upgraded backhaul to support 8T8R because to be honest even a 2T2R B41 LTE site upgraded is already faster than a B25 or B26 LTE carrier and can be proven via a speedtest.  

Also I will continue to say this that Sprint really needs to completely revamp their coverage maps.  I don't like that tiny ass rectangle and have to constantly scroll in order to see any decent amount of area.

• Like 2

I hate the label of Spark Turbo in addition to Sprint Spark and 4G LTE.  There is enough confusion already as it is.  Just have the Sprint Spark and 4G LTE labels and it gives the customer enough information on what to expect.  Its unnecessary to single out the specific towers that have upgraded backhaul to support 8T8R because to be honest even a 2T2R B41 LTE site upgraded is already faster than a B25 or B26 LTE carrier and can be proven via a speedtest.  

Also I will continue to say this that Sprint really needs to completely revamp their coverage maps.  I don't like that tiny ass rectangle and have to constantly scroll in order to see any decent amount of area.

I couldn't agree with you more on all points!

• Like 1