VoIP Telephone Services

sbolen

My Charter Triple Play Bundle is starting its annual price hike, and our home telephone service is seeing the biggest jump - about $5/month.

My wife and I were looking at Ooma, but I'm curious if anyone has alternate suggestions/experiences they could share. The new price - $25/mo for "unlimited" home phone - is absurd, but we do need a local number for some things. Hence, the dilemma.

(This also gives me an excuse to upgrade our Router & buy a new gigabit switch! :) )

My Charter Triple Play Bundle is starting its annual price hike, and our home telephone service is seeing the biggest jump - about $5/month.

My wife and I were looking at Ooma, but I'm curious if anyone has alternate suggestions/experiences they could share. The new price - $25/mo for "unlimited" home phone - is absurd, but we do need a local number for some things. Hence, the dilemma.

(This also gives me an excuse to upgrade our Router & buy a new gigabit switch! :) )

I'm pretty happy with our MagicJack. They have a new model now where it does not have to connected to a computer and it's the cheapest besides Ooma.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Vonage's Basic Talk service is very good and very reliable. I have been using it for many years with no issue.  The only time I have had any problem is when my internet connection had issues.  Vonage then automatically forwarded all my calls to my mobile phone until the problem was resolved.  Basic Talk is available from WalMart and is $10 per month plus taxes and fees.  Total cost will be $16 per month or less depending on your state for unlimited calling in the US, voice mail, 911 calling and all the other free services they offer.

For VOIP, I recommend setting up a free nomorobo account and configuring your VOIP line for simultaneous ringing to nomorobo.  99% of the telemarketer and political calls to my house only ring one time before being answered and hung up on by nomorobo.

Ooma is good, I actually have an Ooma box I'm trying to sell. They gave me a referral code so the new owner doesn't have to pay the 9.99 reactivation fee. We've had an Ooma around here for 3 years and can't remember a moment of downtime and the voice quality is great. I personally am more into the BYOD VoIP crowd, using an Obi100 and voip.ms for our landline. 

I currently use Republic Wireless as my VOIP-like services, and use the $10 plan for wifi data, calls, and texts; and when I have no wifi, it goes on the Sprint network for calls and texts - no data, as I'll need to find a hotspot or wifi cafe/etc. RW will fail over to Sprint if your call's QOS is bad via wifi.

I still have my 2013 Moto X, and don't plan on upgrading it for the forseeable future as its still very useful - had success using it in many US states and in London (to call my parents in Chicago, for example).

Caveats: Upfront cost of the phone is a bit steep, and cannot use your Moto RW phone with other networks.

Would Sprints home phone connect service work for you? Last I saw it was $20 for unlimited calling. They also had an easy pay service credit making the equipment free.

I get pretty solid B26 & B41 signal at my house... We just need the barest bones phone line for our home security system and catch-all for school district, pediatrician, etc...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was going to suggest Straight Talk's home phone service (http://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/home/shop/otherdevices/ShopHomePhones) which is unlimited home phone service for $15/month on a Verizon mvno...

but it may not work with your alarm system. I know it doesn't support faxes and other data services. Sprint's service and a lot of VOIP providers also have this limitation. You might check if internet based monitoring is available for your security system.

If you can sort out your security system, Sprint or Straight Talk's wireless home phone bridge may be preferable to a VOIP provider, as it will still work if your internet goes out, and they have a backup battery to keep it going during a power outage.

We just need the barest bones phone line for our home security system...

You do not need a phone line.  Here is your home security system...

AJ

• Like 2

Google Voice with hangouts.

Free!

I currently have Comcast as a home phone service.  I have considered getting a home phone system that I can connect my cell phone with Bluetooth since I do not use the home phone at all.  I just have not been able to convince my wife this is the way to go.  it would save us about $50.00 a month.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-KX-TG7875S-Link2Cell-Bluetooth-Answering/dp/B00BP7SW0C/ref=sr_1_2/180-6821644-3883839?ie=UTF8&qid=1412184184&sr=8-2&keywords=cell+home+phone+system#customerReviews

• 2 weeks later...

I have ooma for a long time now and I'm very happy with there service,..... You should get you won't be sorry trust me