Signal Bars on Sprint Samsung Devices

owensri2

I just got a T-Mobile LG G2 and the bars exhibit similar behavior except it has 5 bars. -99dbm or better is a full 5 bars. Sprint desperately needs to make the bars more accurate if for no other reason than to prevent undeserved negative public perception. Lord knows there are enough things that earn them that that are way harder to fix so why not grab some low hanging fruit.

• 1 month later...
I can't for the life of me understand why Samsung / Sprint wouldn't want to fix this issue quickly. It's not new ... it's been going on forever. I just got my S6 over the weekend and love it, but even I was looking at the bars with disgust when my S4 (non-Spark) had full bars everywhere I frequent.

TaiKing said it best; if they are already fighting a bad signal perception, you'd think Sprint would be putting whatever resources necessary to fix this. Those of us from here can only evangelize the true meaning or false perception of the low bars and take it so far. 

There are thousands getting these Spark phones and probably becoming very upset looking at their bars because that is what we’ve been trained to do over the years. They can’t expect that everyone is going to know to look at their actual signal strength values when it has been beat into us that the bars tell the whole story. You mention signal strength and most people are going to reply, “You mean the bars, right?” 
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I tweeted at MarceloClaure the link to this thread again.  He's pretty active on Twitter now bashing Magenta so maybe he'll notice some tweets on this subject.

Looks like he's listened.

iuTk1T6.png

Sprint is removing their spinning Spark logo in the status bar and they're also making it so signal isn't always 1 bar!!! 

See more here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/3i7ih0/new_software_for_s6_out_g925pvpu2boh1/

and

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/3i7tnp/sprint_signal_indicator_changes/

• Like 3

iuTk1T6.png

Sprint is removing their spinning Spark logo in the status bar and they're also making it so signal isn't always 1 bar!!! 

See more here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/3i7ih0/new_software_for_s6_out_g925pvpu2boh1/

and

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/3i7tnp/sprint_signal_indicator_changes/

I hope they get rid of the spinning Spark logo on the GS5 also.

• Like 1

See more here.

and

SUPER LIKE!!!!!

Although the Spark Icon never really bothered me, does the stock LTE icon blink/sparkle or something to tell you the data session is active?

SUPER LIKE!!!!!

Although the Spark Icon never really bothered me, does the stock LTE icon blink/sparkle or something to tell you the data session is active?

No idea. Could ask on the Reddit thread. Hopefully it has data activity arrows that blink.

Sent from my M8

Good riddance to bad rubbish. I wouldn't mind a redesigned 4G LTE logo though. Something closer to what AT&T and T-Mobile have on their devices, the new AT&T 4G LTE logo looks a lot like T-Mobile's.

• Like 1

Good riddance to bad rubbish. I wouldn't mind a redesigned 4G LTE logo though. Something closer to what AT&T and T-Mobile have on their devices, the new AT&T 4G LTE logo looks a lot like T-Mobile's.

As someone that used to theme android phones...the signal bar cluster was one of my first edits. The thing still shows the LTE/Spark logo even when on WiFi on stock HTC One M8/M9!!!

I really like the AOSP-type approach they're going with, but I do think Sprint should go their own route with a custom logo, like one of my concepts.

vPEd5Ev.png