Wifi Calling

Shima

I don’t know if anyone has already posted information about wifi calling, so I thought it would be good to add this.  In the last 2 weeks, I posted on the sprint.com forum and the Sprint reps were unable to answer the simple question of what port does wifi calling use. Previous to posting I called customer service and Airrave support and no one could answer either. I didn’t expect a detailed answer, but they could have called someone who knew the answer.  Anyway, two very knowledgeable users on the forum narrowed things down, and wifi calling uses UDP port 4500. I had already narrowed down the ports to a handful, since I found information on the web about TMobile’s similar wifi calling. Also, I found a netstat option built into my Asus RT-AC66U router that was helpful for looking at ip/ports for our phones. The Sprint server the wifi calling traffic heads to is 68-31-26-1.pools.spcsdns.net  The reason I started asking about the port and connectivity is because we experienced many calls that would either drop or when you called someone it would go silent during the call. This goes along with UDP traffic being connectionless and sensitive to any disruption.  I prioritized traffic for our GS4T and GS5 phones for port 4500 and found there was a firmware updated from Asus for the router that helped.  Also, I skimmed over (on some other android forums) the updates for the GS5 to android 4.4.4 and I noticed something with wifi calling bug fixes.  I am happy to say that the wifi calling is working a lot better now. 

• Like 1

So far after removing the port priority I've noticed that HD calling and wifi calling will interrupt each other.  Sunday when I was called by a relative, the called started with wifi, and then become choppy and had pauses with no voice. This happened within the first couple minutes of the call. I hung up and called back and noticed the call establish in HD (as it now shows up with 4.4.4 Android).  I wonder if anyone else has run into this, and if it has contributed to the issues I've experienced recently.