HTC One M9 Rumor Thread

Ascertion

So far current rumor is....

• 5.2" screen
  • 1080p
  • 2840 MAh battery
  • Snapdragon 810
  • 20.7 MP camera

More rumors will come out soon but so far this thing looks like a beast.  Hope it's RF performance is good. I also prefer them stay with a 1080p display for performance and battery compensation.

I also prefer them stay with a 1080p display for performance and battery compensation.

I do not buy the explanation that pixel count greatly affects battery life on LCD screens.  Screen related, the largest power consumer should be the backlight.  For LCD screens, that backlight is either on or off -- regardless of screen resolution.

AMOLED screens, on the other hand, have no backlight.  Each pixel is an emitter.  And driving a greater number of smaller emitters -- while maintaining the same brightness level -- should cause increased power consumption.

AJ

I do not buy the explanation that pixel count greatly affects battery life on LCD screens. Screen related, the largest power consumer should be the backlight. For LCD screens, that backlight is either on or off -- regardless of screen resolution.

AMOLED screens, on the other hand, have no backlight. Each pixel is an emitter. And driving a greater number of smaller emitters -- while maintaining the same brightness level -- should cause increased power consumption.

AJ

The G2/G3 battery stats show the difference in battery life compared to screen resolution. (Also the Z3/Z3c.)

a6e3878a5724961f84d96f73737e1537.jpg

f285a1378553ce1a0312fbe6d611cb77.jpg

Battery sizes are the same, yet, the G3 gets roughly half of the screen time as the G3.

Sent from my LG-LS980

The G2/G3 battery stats show the difference in battery life compared to screen resolution. (Also the Z3/Z3c.)

. . .

Battery sizes are the same, yet, the G3 gets roughly half of the screen time as the G3.

Different handsets, multiple variables.  That is not a truly scientific test.

AJ

• Like 1

Different handsets, multiple variables.  That is not a truly scientific test.

AJ

Everything I've read shows that smaller pixels require a brighter backlight to carry the same level of brightness, thus requiring more power.

There are 4 times as many pixels in the display that need to be kept powered. Also 4 times as much memory and processing power is needed for the images. In addition, the light transmission of the LCD decreases as the pixel density increases, so a brighter Backlight is necessary. In fact, the number of Backlight LEDs has roughly doubled (from 36 to an estimated 72 to 82), so the Backlight power has approximately doubled. Since the display normally consumes about 50-60 percent of the total Tablet power, the new iPad needs at least a 50 percent larger battery. In fact, the battery increased from 25 to 42.5 watt hours, a 70 percent increase. Our measured Backlight power for the new iPad is 2.5 times the iPad 2 for the same screen brightness.

http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_ShootOut_1.htm

It's pretty clear that when the iPad went retina, power consumption on the actual display more than doubled from 2.7 watts to 7 watts.

• Like 1

So far current rumor is....

• 5.2" screen
  • 1080p
  • 2840 MAh battery
  • Snapdragon 810
  • 20.7 MP camera

More rumors will come out soon but so far this thing looks like a beast.  Hope it's RF performance is good. I also prefer them stay with a 1080p display for performance and battery compensation.

Interesting that they are going to a 20.7 MP shooter.

Why can't they just go to a large sensor 8 MP?  If apple can do it, HTC should do it BIGGER.

I hope they also release a play store edition....

Interesting that they are going to a 20.7 MP shooter.

Why can't they just go to a large sensor 8 MP? If apple can do it, HTC should do it BIGGER.

I hope they also release a play store edition....

Well generally people think more is better so advertising a 20.7 mp camera will probably attract more customers.

Sent from my LG-LS980

• Like 1

I do not buy the explanation that pixel count greatly affects battery life on LCD screens.  Screen related, the largest power consumer should be the backlight.  For LCD screens, that backlight is either on or off -- regardless of screen resolution.

AMOLED screens, on the other hand, have no backlight.  Each pixel is an emitter.  And driving a greater number of smaller emitters -- while maintaining the same brightness level -- should cause increased power consumption.

AJ

You can't ignore the additional processing power required to push more pixels through.  That affects CPU/GPU power consumption.

• Like 1

You can't ignore the additional processing power required to push more pixels through.  That affects CPU/GPU power consumption.

Process shrinks, stopping gate leaks, better software to improve battery life, etc seem to offset the increased power.

The power required to light more pixels is the issue - see above :)

Process shrinks, stopping gate leaks, better software to improve battery life, etc seem to offset the increased power.

The power required to light more pixels is the issue - see above :)

They are both the issue.  The weight of each one would depend on the particular workload you're using.

And efficiency improvements to SoCs help offset it, but it's still true that if that same improved SoC worked with lower resolutions the battery life would be longer.  It's an engineering trade-off either way.

• Like 1

Personally I think it will come with a QHD screen versus 1080p.  Not sure about the 20.7mp camera but they are definitely getting rid of the 4 ultrapixel set up.

• 2 weeks later...

Newest rumors.

Current M8 size is 146.36 x 70.6 x 9.35 mm.  Looks like this device will be slightly smaller which I'm all for!

HTC Hima

Demension: 144.3 x 69.4 x 9.56 mm

Snapdragon 810 2.0GHz Quad-core + 1.5GHz Quad-core

3GB RAM

5″ FHD Display

Supports VoLTE(Voice Over LTE), Carrier Aggrication(Malaysian/Indian model doesn’t support this), LTE Category 6

20.7MP Main Camera

13MP or 4MP UltraPixel Front Camera

2840mAh Battery

Android 5.0

Sense 7.0

Color: Gray, Silver, Gold, Gunmetal Gold

Launch: March 2015

Official Accessory: Active Headset, DotView, DecoStand Case, Clear Case, Active Case, Premium Screen Protector

• Like 1

Sent from my LG-LS980

You have to account for all of the variables before you can make a conclusion.

You have to account for all of the variables before you can make a conclusion.

What variables are you talking about?  IIRC, the tests are usually done in the same place and are tested the same way every time.  There's more pixels for GPU/CPU processing which is a larger strain on battery.  Given it's essentially the same processor/GPU combo (although a slightly higher clock rate), the results can be comparable.

What variables are you talking about?  IIRC, the tests are usually done in the same place and are tested the same way every time.  There's more pixels for GPU/CPU processing which is a larger strain on battery.  Given it's essentially the same processor/GPU combo (although a slightly higher clock rate), the results can be comparable.

Those two are substantially different phones. While I think you are probably right on your conclusion that graphic proved nothing accept that somebody somewhere knows who to put together graphics and a few numbers. If you want to prove through empirical data that the screen is causing the increase in drain then you have to rule out or account for the change in software, cpu, gpu etc etc. 

Those two are substantially different phones. While I think you are probably right on your conclusion that graphic proved nothing accept that somebody somewhere knows who to put together graphics and a few numbers. If you want to prove through empirical data that the screen is causing the increase in drain then you have to rule out or account for the change in software, cpu, gpu etc etc. 

By that logic, nothing is comparable.

I've run G3 software on my G2 and had great battery life, similar to my G2 running stock.  Now, I can run the tests to compare that G2 does in fact run longer than the G3 on the same software, but there will still be differences in kernel coding and other hacks involved.  Overall, there's a 100% consistency rate of battery life being better on 1080p displays than 1440p displays of all tests done.  There will always be variables that aren't accountable but the consistency of data is enough to conclude that the 1440p display draws more power, whether it be a result from lighting, processing, or size.

Newest rumors.

Current M8 size is 146.36 x 70.6 x 9.35 mm.  Looks like this device will be slightly smaller which I'm all for!

HTC Hima

Demension: 144.3 x 69.4 x 9.56 mm

Snapdragon 810 2.0GHz Quad-core + 1.5GHz Quad-core

3GB RAM

5″ FHD Display

Supports VoLTE(Voice Over LTE), Carrier Aggrication(Malaysian/Indian model doesn’t support this), LTE Category 6

20.7MP Main Camera

13MP or 4MP UltraPixel Front Camera

2840mAh Battery

Android 5.0

Sense 7.0

Color: Gray, Silver, Gold, Gunmetal Gold

Launch: March 2015

Official Accessory: Active Headset, DotView, DecoStand Case, Clear Case, Active Case, Premium Screen Protector

Damn it.

Looks like I gotta wait. If this is legit about the size I'd be happy. I hate ultrapixel (makes taking photos with any kind of spotlighting next to impossible). may be great for overall low light performance, but trying to take a decent photo at a concert with spotlights or bright stage lighting is a nightmare as the brightness overloads the sensors.

By that logic, nothing is comparable.

I've run G3 software on my G2 and had great battery life, similar to my G2 running stock.  Now, I can run the tests to compare that G2 does in fact run longer than the G3 on the same software, but there will still be differences in kernel coding and other hacks involved.  Overall, there's a 100% consistency rate of battery life being better on 1080p displays than 1440p displays of all tests done.  There will always be variables that aren't accountable but the consistency of data is enough to conclude that the 1440p display draws more power, whether it be a result from lighting, processing, or size.

You can certainly compare the two if you know how to run the scientific method and statistics. You actually can account for virtually every variable with statistics.

Newest rumors.

Regarding the size:  I like that it would be a shade shorter and narrower, but why is it also a bit thicker?  As thin as my M8 is, it seems kinda porky next to the newest iPhones.

Regarding the size:  I like that it would be a shade shorter and narrower, but why is it also a bit thicker?  As thin as my M8 is, it seems kinda porky next to the newest iPhones.

No idea.  I'd have to see the final design before making comments.  They could have moved the power button to the side which may have added increased bulk, to minimize bezel or it's a larger battery at the cost of thickness.  I'm not too worried about the thickness as much as the screen size.

• Like 1

Hoping the latest rumor that has it coming to CES is true.

I'm basically hoping for the M8 with better camera, battery, and power button on the side.  Other than that, I'm quite happy with the M8.  (The M8's battery isn't bad by any means but more is always welcome.)

I've read that it's coming to CES too which may introduce an earlier release (maybe they're trying to market it before Samsung does their GS6?)

• Like 1