Ting adding GSM/WCDMA support

lordsutch

The next front in the prepaid wars: Ting is adding support for GSM/WCDMA/3GPP devices (apparently as a MVNO of T-Mobile, directly or indirectly, if the coverage map is to be believed) and will allow you to have GSM and CDMA devices on the same account, apparently going a step further than the Straight Talk empire. LTE data is apparently included, but not depicted on the maps.

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-mvno-ting-support-gsm-starting-february-2015

Now a real Ting coup would be to allow access to both the Sprint and T-Mobile networks on a single line without a SIM swap if you have a device that works on both (like Nexus 5/6 etc.). Technically devices without a firmware lockout of domestic competitor networks, like the Nexus 5 and 6 and the new devices coming in a few months, should be able to do it.

• Like 1

Huge news! And conveniently timed to begin just as Sprint begins to allow domestic unlocking on select devices.

I look forward to seeing how this will work out. If they do allow one to switch between the Sprint & T-Mobile networks with the same SIM, that would indeed be a cheap and convenient way to sample both networks. For the longer-term, for full flexibility one could even direct both numbers to a single GV number so you can continue to switch between the two without missing calls.

Now a real Ting coup would be to allow access to both the Sprint and T-Mobile networks on a single line without a SIM swap if you have a device that works on both (like Nexus 5/6 etc.). Technically devices without a firmware lockout of domestic competitor networks, like the Nexus 5 and 6 and the new devices coming in a few months, should be able to do it.

It's not possible because Sprint's infrastructure doesn't support custom SIM cards, principally because Sprint doesn't use SIM cards the way that 3GPP only operators do.

It's technically possible for someone to craft a custom SIM that authorizes AT&T and T-Mobile as if it was one network, or AT&T+T-Mobile GSM/WCDMA/LTE and Verizon LTE as one network because those networks follow the same standards and practices for network/subscriber authentication and management.

It's not possible because Sprint's infrastructure doesn't support custom SIM cards, principally because Sprint doesn't use SIM cards the way that 3GPP only operators do.

Ever since the Nexus 5, Ting has sold their own SIM cards rather than Sprint-branded ones, but I don't know if there's anything different about them other than the branding/packaging.

If it can't be done within a single card, then maybe someone will eventually bring a dual-SIM CDMA/GSM or VoLTE handset to the US.

Ever since the Nexus 5, Ting has sold their own SIM cards rather than Sprint-branded ones, but I don't know if there's anything different about them other than the branding/packaging.

If it can't be done within a single card, then maybe someone will eventually bring a dual-SIM CDMA/GSM or VoLTE handset to the US.

There's nothing different about them except for packaging. I bought a Ting SIM for my Nexus 5, and it's just a plain Sprint SIM that just isn't registered to anything yet inside of a wrapper with Ting's name on it.

A dual-SIM handset with CDMA/GSM is unlikely here, unfortunately. VoLTE does not allow for portability across carriers, as it must be implemented using carrier customized firmware, so that makes multi-carrier VoLTE unlikely.

• Like 1

VoLTE does not allow for portability across carriers, as it must be implemented using carrier customized firmware, so that makes multi-carrier VoLTE unlikely.

Explain how the Nexus 6 is to receive VoLTE without carriers mucking about. I know there may be some customization per carrier, but it's clearly possible to have one phone with VoLTE support on all carriers.

Explain how the Nexus 6 is to receive VoLTE without carriers mucking about. I know there may be some customization per carrier, but it's clearly possible to have one phone with VoLTE support on all carriers.

Carriers are mucking about. Google and the carriers are preparing firmware update variants to load when the right SIM card is detected. That's the main reason for the carriers agreeing to sell the phone. There's also other behind-the-scenes stuff going on, too.

Is it possible they have T-Mobile work out a way to take Sprint SIM?

For LTE only, provided Sprint were to rejigger its network authentication and its subscriber management systems are decoupled and rebuilt. Nothing else. But there's no reason to do that, since it's rare to see GSM devices (there's only three tablets, excluding iPads) that can function on Sprint's network.

There's nothing different about them except for packaging. I bought a Ting SIM for my Nexus 5, and it's just a plain Sprint SIM that just isn't registered to anything yet inside of a wrapper with Ting's name on it.

A dual-SIM handset with CDMA/GSM is unlikely here, unfortunately. VoLTE does not allow for portability across carriers, as it must be implemented using carrier customized firmware, so that makes multi-carrier VoLTE unlikely.

Yup. My Nexus 5 SIM actually had Sprint branding on some of the packaging in a little box from Ting.