Sprint Declares Their Network Vision 'Substantially Complete'

Just thinking out loud here but I think Sprint made a mistake. Lets look at the ingredients first:

1. Anecdotal evidence suggests that single or even dual band phones have not seen a significant improvement in service(the barometer being speed).
  2. Sprint has rolled out tri-band capability to its Pre-paid brands(Virgin yes, not sure about Boost)
  3. Sprint is still selling non-triband phones on its website.

Sprint should have re-branded and dumped its non tri-band phones on to prepaid as quickly as possible. By not doing do they have put themselves into the position of selling a phone that in all probability wil not deliver a good expereince for the user. Now Sprint either has to tell them to pound salt or eat the cost of a new phone. Additionally, they have undercut the value of post paid by allowing triband on pre-paid especially with deals like this http://www.virginmobileusa.com/why-choose-us/

• Like 1

Just thinking out loud here but I think Sprint made a mistake. Lets look at the ingredients first:

1. Anecdotal evidence suggests that single or even dual band phones have not seen a significant improvement in service(the barometer being speed).
  2. Sprint has rolled out tri-band capability to its Pre-paid brands(Virgin yes, not sure about Boost)
  3. Sprint is still selling non-triband phones on its website.

Sprint should have re-branded and dumped its non tri-band phones on to prepaid as quickly as possible. By not doing do they have put themselves into the position of selling a phone that in all probability wil not deliver a good expereince for the user. Now Sprint either has to tell them to pound salt or eat the cost of a new phone. Additionally, they have undercut the value of post paid by allowing triband on pre-paid especially with deals like this http://www.virginmobileusa.com/why-choose-us/

My phone has LTE only on B25 and I've seen a massive improvement in service though.

• Like 1

My phone has LTE only on B25 and I've seen a massive improvement in service though.

Thats why I said anecdotal. Not only have we had some people that have shown up here and complained but I also know people in the Raleigh area that have stated that there service has gotten slower and in every case they do not have a tri band device while I can tell you without a doubt that the Raleigh area has seen a significant improvement. I just wonder if Sprint screwed the pooch on this one.

Thats why I said anecdotal. Not only have we had some people that have shown up here and complained but I also know people in the Raleigh area that have stated that there service has gotten slower and in every case they do not have a tri band device while I can tell you without a doubt that the Raleigh area has seen a significant improvement. I just wonder if Sprint screwed the pooch on this one.

It's also possible I have really low standards. Sprint was extremely bad here before (to the point where there was no point not having the phone on Wi-Fi the majority of the time), so LTE speed tests dropping from 15mbps to like 3-4 probably wouldn't be a big deal for me as long as latency was still okay.

• Like 1

It's also possible I have really low standards. Sprint was extremely bad here before (to the point where there was no point not having the phone on Wi-Fi the majority of the time), so LTE speed tests dropping from 15mbps to like 3-4 probably wouldn't be a big deal for me as long as latency was still okay.

That's the thing. Perception can skew, well, perception. My wife has an M7 and she is totally happy with her data speeds. She is also not a wireless geek so there is that. 

This was posted on a site I frequent and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts regarding this considering that service has  not really improved or like here, has gotten consistently worse.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Sprint-Declares-Their-Network-Vision-Substantially-Complete-131775

---

We have 4G here and it was fast when they rolled it out but it has gotten horrible. I ran speedtests yesterday which averaged 1/.10. The 3G never got improvements. Until Sprint makes some real network improvements (we don't have spark here) they will continue to be irrelevant. I have been with Sprint for a long time and put up with the b.s. over the years but 2015 will be the last year I give them. I will wait it out for Spark to be deployed here and hope that it makes some sort of improvement but judging by what other people are saying in some markets Spark doesn't change a thing.

Either Sprint is doing something wrong, there are some technical issues, or maybe they took a technically cheap route at network vision; idk. 

Any thoughts?

I find that the coverage for sprint has gotten better in FL. But, I do think they need to either strengthen or add more towers to their existing network. Bur I am getting LTE where I wouldn't before. The best coverage I have ever gotten in a rural town was Port Charlotte, always have consistent LTE coverage.

• Like 1

• Anecdotal evidence suggests that single or even dual band phones have not seen a significant improvement in service(the barometer being speed).
  • Sprint has rolled out tri-band capability to its Pre-paid brands(Virgin yes, not sure about Boost)
  • Sprint is still selling non-triband phones on its website.

Why is it a bad idea for tri-band devices to be sold on Sprint Prepaid brands? Sprints Prepaid brands (Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile USA, Sprint Prepaid) represent over 14 million subs. Thats a 1/4 of Sprints customer base. I feel it is important that anyone one Sprints network have the same experience. If not, they would be losing more subs than they already have.

Edited by GFRESSE
  • Like 1

Why is it a bad idea for tri-band devices to be sold on Sprint Prepaid brands? Sprints Prepaid brands (Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile USA, Sprint Prepaid) represent over 14 million subs. Thats a 1/4 of Sprints customer base. I feel it is important that anyone one Sprints network have the same experience. If not, they would be losing more subs than they already have.

Plus, if all of those uni-band devices on Sprint Prepaid are all camped on Band 25, that makes it even more congested than it already is. Band 41 is the capacity band, not Band 25, so we shouldn't be putting those ~14 million subs all on Band 25. The load needs to be spread out.

-Anthony

• Like 4

You make a good point but you miss the point I was trying to make. Sprint has historically moved its unsold/returned phones to the prepaid side. They won't be able to do that this time since they have made triband accessible to all brands. So now, instead of being able to shift the older phones to prepaid and phase tri-band in on that side, they now either must eat the cost of replacing handsets or face anger from customers on both pre and post paid over subpar service.

You make a good point but you miss the point I was trying to make. Sprint has historically moved its unsold/returned phones to the prepaid side. They won't be able to do that this time since they have made triband accessible to all brands. So now, instead of being able to shift the older phones to prepaid and phase tri-band in on that side, they now either must eat the cost of replacing handsets or face anger from customers on both pre and post paid over subpar service.

I see your point now. However, Sprint still pushes older/used phones to it's prepaid brands. They are just choosing the devices wisely. For example just recently they re-SKU'd LG G2's (all colors) to Boost Mobile, to move inventory. It was a success! SPG (Sprint Prepaid Group) only wants to offer devices that offer the best user experience. Back to your point, with BrightStar now under the Soft Bank umbrella, I am sure they are assisting in moving returned and older devices. Sprint also uses pre-owned phones as retention offers to customers who threaten to cancel because of not having insurance or not being upgrade eligible. I am confident with the new CEO he is doing everything to reduce loses.

I see your point now. However, Sprint still pushes older/used phones to it's prepaid brands. They are just choosing the devices wisely. For example just recently they re-SKU'd LG G2's (all colors) to Boost Mobile, to move inventory. It was a success! SPG (Sprint Prepaid Group) only wants to offer devices that offer the best user experience. Back to your point, with BrightStar now under the Soft Bank umbrella, I am sure they are assisting in moving returned and older devices. Sprint also uses pre-owned phones as retention offers to customers who threaten to cancel because of not having insurance or not being upgrade eligible. I am confident with the new CEO he is doing everything to reduce loses.

I was wondering about Brightstar. Exactly who is their market when it comes to Sprint phones. I was under the impression that other than the current crop of triband phones, Sprint phones could only be used on Sprint.

• Like 1

Sprint should seriously consider turning back on some of those nextel sites... especially in urban areas.. That would definitely offer better customer experience... I see more than a few old nextel sites in areas that could really use more 800/2.5

• Like 3

I was wondering about Brightstar. Exactly who is their market when it comes to Sprint phones. I was under the impression that other than the current crop of triband phones, Sprint phones could only be used on Sprint.

Many countries in South America (which Brightstar has a strong presence) use CDMA on 800/1900. Brightstar can refurbish these handsets and re-distribute them to those countries. The LTE bands may not be compatible, but many of these countries are not even opporating LTE services out side of major cities, if at all. Brightstar also plays a part in recycling used/defected Sprint handset. Behind the scenes, Brightar's synergies with Sprint is helping the Sprint be a profitable company again. You may not here about them, but they play a huge part (e.i. IPhone for life)
  • Like 2

Plus, if all of those uni-band devices on Sprint Prepaid are all camped on Band 25, that makes it even more congested than it already is. Band 41 is the capacity band, not Band 25, so we shouldn't be putting those ~14 million subs all on Band 25. The load needs to be spread out.

-Anthony

I agree! That is why currently Sprint's prepaid brands have not released a single band LTE handset since early 2014. The point you made is part of the reason why they re released a tri-band Galaxy SIII. Currently (with the expception of the LG F3) Sprint does not offer any single band handsets in their retail distribution points. They do have some single band EOL handsets on the web, but that's to clear inventory.

• Like 1

Many countries in South America (which Brightstar has a strong presence) use CDMA on 800/1900. Brightstar can refurbish these handsets and re-distribute them to those countries. The LTE bands may not be compatible, but many of these countries are not even opporating LTE services out side of major cities, if at all. Brightstar also plays a part in recycling used/defected Sprint handset. Behind the scenes, Brightar's synergies with Sprint is helping the Sprint be a profitable company again. You may not here about them, but they play a huge part (e.i. IPhone for life)

Was not aware that CDMA 800/1900 was in use in South America. That makes all this make a bit more sense.