HTC EVO 4G LTE

P_M_G

Oh there would deff be negative press...and it'd take away from the device...ppl would run speed test on it and then write about how it was slower than VZ...if not allowed to run speed test then there would be no point to even have LTE live there...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

You sure it would be slower than Verizon currently?

Wow...how did I miss this thread tonight???

Just to clarify, the GNex article stated that the first LTE devices will be shipped from OEM's with LTE turned off. It can be turned on by the customer with the toggle. Much like WiMax. It is not locked out.

In June or July there will be OTA's that will introduce LTE self discoverability to devices. This setting will allow your device to intermittently turn on LTE itself and look for LTE and then turn itself off if it can't find it, thus saving your battery over just staying in LTE mode.

Robert - Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

• Like 1

Does it support a sim card? I seen pictures of the verge on the back and it only has a MICROSD slot.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

According to briefmobile it looks like Sprint will be using embedded sim cards at least for the EVO 4G LTE phone to access the LTE network :( . I am still not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing. One thing is for sure its still gonna suck not having the ability to switch even among sprint phones on the fly and of course with other carriers.

I still don't understand the reasoning as to why Sprint likes to do things out of the norm. Lets just hope that the Galaxy Nexus and LG Viper have real sim cards like Verizon and MetroPCS.

http://briefmobile.com/sprint-to-have-embedded-sim-cards-for-lte-network

yes. Verizon using 10x10 deployment while Sprint using 5x5 deployment initially....

Sgt., the deployed bandwidth of the LTE airlink tells us only the ideal peak throughput. So, yes, VZW LTE 10 MHz x 10 MHz has higher peak throughput than does Sprint LTE 5 MHz x 5 MHz. But peak throughput is not the only way to measure data speeds. Average throughput per user is actually a far more relevant metric to the end user experience. And we can almost assuredly say that Sprint LTE, which is currently unloaded, offers higher average throughput per user than does VZW LTE, which is loaded with 5-10 percent of VZW's subscriber base.

AJ

• Like 1

Sgt., the deployed bandwidth of the LTE airlink tells us only the ideal peak throughput. So, yes, VZW LTE 10 MHz x 10 MHz has higher peak throughput than does Sprint LTE 5 MHz x 5 MHz. But peak throughput is not the only way to measure data speeds. Average throughput per user is actually a far more relevant metric to the end user experience. And we can almost assuredly say that Sprint LTE, which is currently unloaded, offers higher average throughput per user than does VZW LTE, which is loaded with 5-10 percent of VZW's subscriber base.

AJ

yeah I understand that though I think in terms of giving both networks under the same conditions and load when comparing them...unloaded speeds mean little less they are compared to other networks unloaded speeds, which in this case VZ would win that battle(hence my initial thought for reason for not having mobile LTE station for event)...

I would be interested to see roughly how much more load VZ would have to be under to bring the speeds of their 10x10 deployment down to be even with Sprints 5x5 deployment...

yeah I understand that though I think in terms of giving both networks under the same conditions and load when comparing them...unloaded speeds mean little less they are compared to other networks unloaded speeds, which in this case VZ would win that battle(hence my initial thought for reason for not having mobile LTE station for event)...

I would be interested to see roughly how much more load VZ would have to be under to bring the speeds of their 10x10 deployment down to be even with Sprints 5x5 deployment...

Absolutely right. But I was alluding more to what AJ stated.

I like this phone, watched a few videos on it. But I have to wait unti August to upgrade anyways. So by then I'll have a little more options. Still leaning towards the SIII at this point.

• Like 1

I suspect embedded SIM or virtual SIM would be to still allow for billing "by-device" as they have different rate plans for SERO, regular plans, and feature phones.

An HTC guy said that space is so optimized in this phone that there is room for only one slot. The One X uses that slot for the SIM. Since Sprint doesn't use a SIM they were able to re-purpose that slot for the Micro SD card. I can't wait until iFixit tears this phone down to see if there is an actual SIM inside there, or if it's a virtual SIM. We'll also see what steps will be necessary to replace the battery if it ever fails. Are there any screws under that removable cover?

• Like 3

Any word on off contract pricing for the EVO 4G LTE?

Actually the other post made me think I might of taken you wrong...the 2yr contract pricing is $199, full retail pricing hasn't been announced from what I have seen....

Gotta like how Sprint manages to get the thing for $199 still, while you look over at VZ and see all the $250-299 phones...

Actually the other post made me think I might of taken you wrong...the 2yr contract pricing is $199, full retail pricing hasn't been announced from what I have seen....

Gotta like how Sprint manages to get the thing for $199 still, while you look over at VZ and see all the $250-299 phones...

Ohh yeah... I'm not eligible for upgrade til August 2013 so I'd be looking at the off contract price if I want to pick up the EVO 4G LTE. I'd probably work out great if I did get it off contract as by August 2013 there will probably be another EVO out :)

It is good though Sprint keeping the subsidized price at $200.

Ohh yeah... I'm not eligible for upgrade til August 2013 so I'd be looking at the off contract price if I want to pick up the EVO 4G LTE. I'd probably work out great if I did get it off contract as by August 2013 there will probably be another EVO out :)

It is good though Sprint keeping the subsidized price at $200.

You could always buy out your contract then upgrade, that might save you a few dollars if you really wanted to get the e4glte.

You could always buy out your contract then upgrade, that might save you a few dollars if you really wanted to get the e4glte.

Good point. I seen that incentive Sprint was offering awhile back about buying out the rest of your contract, but I didn't think I qualified since I used my upgrade on the Evo 3D in August 2011. Is there a department that handles this specifically that could let me know how much it would cost?

Does Sprint's deployment at 1900MHz play into how the network handle capacity for users?(As compared to a similar 5x5 setup at 700MHz.)

Sent from my HTC Titan using Board Express

A 5x5 deployment at 1900 Mhz will have more capacity than a 5x5 deployment at 700 Mhz simply because at 700 Mhz you don't need as many towers to cover a certain area while 1900 Mhz requires more towers to cover that same area.

For example say a single tower has the capacity to hold 200 users and you are trying to cover a 10 mile radius. Say for example that it will take two 700 Mhz towers to cover the 10 mile radius and five 1900 Mhz towers to cover the same 10 mile radius. Well in this case the 700 Mhz towers combined can handle 400 users while the 1900 Mhz towers combined can handle 1000 users. So in this case the 1900 Mhz towers can handle 600 more users than at 700 Mhz. Now the example above is not based on any actual data but its used to illustrate in this sense that 1900 Mhz has the capability to handle more capacity than 700 Mhz.

• Like 2

A 5x5 deployment at 1900 Mhz will have more capacity than a 5x5 deployment at 700 Mhz simply because at 700 Mhz you don't need as many towers to cover a certain area while 1900 Mhz requires more towers to cover that same area.

For example say a single tower has the capacity to hold 200 users and you are trying to cover a 10 mile radius. Say for example that it will take two 700 Mhz towers to cover the 10 mile radius and five 1900 Mhz towers to cover the same 10 mile radius. Well in this case the 700 Mhz towers combined can handle 400 users while the 1900 Mhz towers combined can handle 1000 users. So in this case the 1900 Mhz towers can handle 600 more users than at 700 Mhz. Now the example above is not based on any actual data but its used to illustrate in this sense that 1900 Mhz has the capability to handle more capacity than 700 Mhz.

This is due to multiple cells. More cells would allow for more capacity. I was wondering more in the case of capacity of one 1900 tower compared to one 700MHz. Would 1900MHz allow it to hold more "bits of data" per MHz compared to 700MHz?

Holy crap, that's him. that's one of the guys I talked to outside. But I thought he said Sprint. He's the President of HTC oh man. lol I need to go back and edit that review.

also I know that it was brought up elsewhere that in the making of the EVO 4G LTE video that it showed what looked like a 3D version of the device and that it was quickly announced that wasn't the case. that no 3D EVO LTE is in the works. But permit me if I may, why then at an unveiling does the other video with the pin drop show at time index mark 5:50 the pin transforming into a dual rear lens version of the device much like the older 3D EVO.

Me thinks that regardless what HTC is saying, there will be a 3D version of the device a few months down the line.

Edit: at time index mark 24:30 you see what HD Vision is all about and trust me it does sound like that. So clear and so rich that its remarkable.

TS

• Like 3

This is due to multiple cells. More cells would allow for more capacity. I was wondering more in the case of capacity of one 1900 tower compared to one 700MHz. Would 1900MHz allow it to hold more "bits of data" per MHz compared to 700MHz?

NO! There shouldn't be a difference between 700 MHz vs. 1900 MHz in terms of "bits of data" for speed. It seems like you are asking about whether a 5x5 deployment at 1900 MHz will be faster in terms of speed than a 5x5 deployment at 700 MHz. it doesn't seem like you are really asking about capacity in terms of users which is what I thought you wanted to know.

Holy crap, that's him. that's one of the guys I talked to outside. But I thought he said Sprint. He's the President of HTC oh man. lol I need to go back and edit that review.

also I know that it was brought up elsewhere that in the making of the EVO 4G LTE video that it showed what looked like a 3D version of the device and that it was quickly announced that wasn't the case. that no 3D EVO LTE is in the works. But permit me if I may, why then at an unveiling does the other video with the pin drop show at time index mark 5:50 the pin transforming into a dual rear lens version of the device much like the older 3D EVO.

Me thinks that regardless what HTC is saying, there will be a 3D version of the device a few months down the line.

TS

If we are talking about the same video it appeared to me like they showed the progression of the EVO line. Evo 4g, Evo 3d and now the Evo 4g LTE.
  • Like 1

TS

Sorry to burst your bubble but its not true. There will NOT be a 3D version of this device. If you look at the Update section of the article, HTC has confirmed that the model was an early design that Sprint and HTC were working on to try to bring the 3D feature to the EVO 4G LTE but the feature did not make it.

"Update: Well, we just heard back from HTC and the company confirmed that it's not a prototype of any future device. Apparently, it's just an early design when HTC and Sprint were considering carrying over the 3D feature, but it didn't make the cut. Mystery solved!"

http://www.engadget....o-3d-prototype/

NO! There shouldn't be a difference between 700 MHz vs. 1900 MHz in terms of "bits of data" for speed. It seems like you are asking about whether a 5x5 deployment at 1900 MHz will be faster in terms of speed than a 5x5 deployment at 700 MHz. it doesn't seem like you are really asking about capacity in terms of users which is what I thought you wanted to know.

I was only trying to understand if the a 5x5 setup at 1900 would hold more customers compared to 700. I aware that more towers would be needed to cover the same amount of area has 700 word. However, I thought that higher frequenices can hold more subscribers compared to lower ones. For example(for this), a cell site at 700 can hold 200 subscriber connections compared to a 1900 site that can hold 700 subscriber connections. I was trying to verify if what i thought is true. Sorry for the mis-wording.