HTC EVO 4G LTE

P_M_G

In the specs I read it says its capable of the 800mhz channel. Is this the LTE channel that Sprint will be switching on in a year or two to compliment the 1900 band (when Nextel is switched off) ? Maybe its a stupid question. In other words is it future proof?

Edited by tampaflusa

In the specs I read it says its capable of the 800mhz channel. Is this the LTE channel that Sprint will be switching on in a year or two to compliment the 1900 band (when Nextel is switched off) ? Maybe its a stupid question. In other words is it future proof?

On Sprint's network, it will only do 800 Voice/1xAdvanced. No LTE on 800. It supports LTE on 1900 only. However, it will be almost two years before 800 LTE is out in a big way on Sprints network anyway. That wouldn't hold me up from upgrading at this point for a device I want.

Robert

• Like 1

In other words is it future proof?

Not even close. No handset is ever "future proof." Under the 18-24 month contract-subsidy system, by the time that you are eligible for a fully subsidized upgrade, no matter what handset you choose, it will be woefully outdated. A dozen years ago, I seriously thought that this would be just about the only cellphone that I would ever need. How naive was that?!

7wql7jr.jpg

AJ

• Like 5

Is it possible that even though the phone is listed as supporting just 1900 LTE, that in the future when Clear's 2.5GHz LTE is up live, or when Sprints 800MHz LTE is live that they could update the radio/baseband and enable support for more later on?

Would require another pass through FCC getting approved of course, but is it possible?

Would one be able to tell if the specs of the antennae supported such theory at all from FCC docs or teardown pics? I know FCC only lists freq tested at but maybe specs/details listed of antennae could determine if its plausible?

Sgt., to address your questions more seriously, the chances that the EVO 4G LTE will go through FCC authorization for LTE 1900 (band class 25) now, then FCC authorization for LTE 800 (band class 18 or 26) and/or TD-LTE 2600 (band class 41) in the future are slim to none.

When a grantee files a follow up application, it is almost always for 1) a minor modification prior to commercial release or 2) a revision for release on another carrier. But it is rarely to add a substantial radio feature after a device has already been released.

The converse, though, is often true. A device may be tested and authorized for radio capabilities that are never utilized or are even locked out through firmware. AT&T, for example, is known to lock out AWS 2100+1700 MHz on some of its devices, presumably so that they cannot be as readily used on T-Mobile.

Now, as I am known to remind my students, the absence of certain information does not imply the negation of that information. In other words, that nothing has been stated about LTE 800 nor TD-LTE 2600 in the EVO 4G LTE does not tell us that it lacks those capabilities. At this point, we just have an incomplete picture. Maybe it comes through the FCC OET next week with authorization for LTE 800 or TD-LTE 2600 or both. Such is possible, albeit doubtful, because neither the LG Viper nor the Samsung Galaxy Nexus applications have sought beyond 5 MHz x 5 MHz LTE 1900.

AJ

• Like 5

Sgt., to address your questions more seriously, the chances that the EVO 4G LTE will go through FCC authorization for LTE 1900 (band class 25) now, then FCC authorization for LTE 800 (band class 18 or 26) and/or TD-LTE 2600 (band class 41) in the future are slim to none.

When a grantee files a follow up application, it is almost always for 1) a minor modification prior to commercial release or 2) a revision for release on another carrier. But it is rarely to add a substantial radio feature after a device has already been released.

The converse, though, is often true. A device may be tested and authorized for radio capabilities that are never utilized or are even locked out through firmware. AT&T, for example, is known to lock out AWS 2100+1700 MHz on some of its devices, presumably so that they cannot be as readily used on T-Mobile.

Now, as I am known to remind my students, the absence of certain information does not imply the negation of that information. In other words, that nothing has been stated about LTE 800 nor TD-LTE 2600 in the EVO 4G LTE does not tell us that it lacks those capabilities. At this point, we just have an incomplete picture. Maybe it comes through the FCC OET next week with authorization for LTE 800 or TD-LTE 2600 or both. Such is possible, albeit doubtful, because neither the LG Viper nor the Samsung Galaxy Nexus applications have sought beyond 5 MHz x 5 MHz LTE 1900.

AJ

Thank you! about what I expected, just didn't know if it was possible...figured since its rare to see devices go through FCC cert a 2nd time that it would be less likely to be done here....I guess the absence of 2.5GHz is whats more disappointing given Clearwire's plan to have 5k sites up by next year... would think sprint would plan ahead for this in the device...

Notice the pics show 4G in the same spot as 3G which I guess for the sake its using 1900MHz makes sense...Now the big question will be if they will do the same when we can connect to 2.5GHz or 800MHz in the future...as signal will not be near the same as the 1900MHz....I for one would like to be able to force the device to connect to 2.5 or not...rather than have the phone constantly be looking to connect to the 2.5....will be interested to see how they handle this in the future..I assume it will have to do with the smith micro deal and the recently announced new sprint feature they are going to test on the OG EVO4G first...

Lot of ?'s regarding the implementation of 2.5GHz LTE now....but guess really should hold off on them till next year at this point...though I would expect to see some Clearwire LTE sites live this year if they plan to get 5k up by next june/july...

no more than 1 page back from here its mentioned already bud...

Haha yeah, I was reading through the first page and completely missed all the other pages... so I edited my comment. Running on a couple hours of sleep this morning haha

I do think I'm going to pick this phone up though. I'll just have to pick it up off-contract as I'm not due for an upgrade til August 2013. I was really surprised that the Sprint towers around me were getting NV/LTE ... so I've gotta test out that LTE. :)

Not even close. No handset is ever "future proof." Under the 18-24 month contract-subsidy system, by the time that you are eligible for a fully subsidized upgrade, no matter what handset you choose, it will be woefully outdated. A dozen years ago, I seriously thought that this would be just about the only cellphone that I would ever need. How naive was that?!

7wql7jr.jpg

AJ

Is that badboy rocking ICS yet?? :lol:

Any thoughts on the fingerprint attracting plastic surrounding the camera that I saw in a hands on demo?? Personally not an issue for me since I have used a silicon case to protect since my OG EVO...I'll take the added thickness since I've been known to drop a phone or two...

Is that badboy rocking ICS yet?? :lol:

Any thoughts on the fingerprint attracting plastic surrounding the camera that I saw in a hands on demo?? Personally not an issue for me since I have used a silicon case to protect since my OG EVO...I'll take the added thickness since I've been known to drop a phone or two...

Mine will be wraped with the Case-Mate Tough case more likely...thing lasted a long time on the 3D and been perfect so far. like it a lot better than the Seido Active case...

And if the phone isn't enough as it is.....how bout EVO 3D LTE?.......

http://www.theverge....c-evo-3d-4g-lte

Pause it at 25sec mark....uh oh...

the video is really cool there, and very well the dual camera thing was just part of the design process and something they were toying around with during the development of the phone...as you can see int he video there are MANY different shades of the EVO 4G LTE...some had one camera with 2 LED's below 3D without the lower camera...

though they could have it ready to go, it could very well just of been something scratched through the process of development...ie they realized they couldn't' get the battery size they wanted or something else...

• Like 2

I am curious about his impressions as well being that he is in so much love with that damn galaxy note, LOL.

lol

Leave my obssession with the Note out of this. :P

Ok, tried posted this earlier but got home late, got up too early and work as usual is making me work.

So without further ado, my view of the EVO HTC 4G LTE event.

TS out

• Like 4

Everything looks really BA, but I sure hope that with the camera being raised like that, the glass is recessed. The way the 3D's camera was, if you didn't have a thick case on it, you could easily scratch the glass over the lens, gorilla glass or not. If it is as thin and light as the E4GT and has a unibody, any sales of E4GT will stop almost instantly when this is released.

Everything looks really BA, but I sure hope that with the camera being raised like that, the glass is recessed. The way the 3D's camera was, if you didn't have a thick case on it, you could easily scratch the glass over the lens, gorilla glass or not. If it is as thin and light as the E4GT and has a unibody, any sales of E4GT will stop almost instantly when this is released.

if you look at all the pics its much more recessed than in the past so wouldn't worry about it too much...I ran mine without a case for a while 4G and 3D and never had a scratch on the lens. I beat the heck outa my phone too.

heres a pic kinda showing the more recessed protective lens and the actual camera below that. So if anything does somehow get down there the backing plastic part would be easy to replace out in store...

http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/articleimage/684/2012/03/evo-4g-lte/evo-4g-lte-6.jpg

• Like 1

Like I said before, my sources say that Sprint will not be using SIMs. Do people feel there is some benefit to SIMs?

Uh oh...Korey over at xda just mentioned the device has a Sina card for lte...the young kid is a sprint tech who does briefmobile.com too...

Said he's got an article on it coming soon.

He's been preaching simless lte from the get go...said its built in and only accessible VIA teardown...though still I'm surprised the number isn't listed on the sticker that lists your imei and sn...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Uh oh...Korey over at xda just mentioned the device has a Sina card for lte...the young kid is a sprint tech who does briefmobile.com too...

Said he's got an article on it coming soon.

He's been preaching simless lte from the get go...said its built in and only accessible VIA teardown...though still I'm surprised the number isn't listed on the sticker that lists your imei and sn...

I've been seeing SIM references in lab docs for awhile. :)

Robert

I've been seeing SIM references in lab docs for awhile.

Robert

oh now you tell us. LOL

Still I think its odd they wouldn't have the SIM ID listed on the sticker...no?

The ICCID (SIM) number is actually visible on some of the pictures from the event that show the microSD slot; it's the bottom number w/barcode of the three, below the MEIDs, on the sticker.

• Like 1

The ICCID (SIM) number is actually visible on some of the pictures from the event that show the microSD slot; it's the bottom number w/barcode of the three, below the MEIDs, on the sticker.

Ugh facepalm.........been starring at it the whole time LOL. Never put 2+2 together there....LOL DOH!