HTC EVO 4G LTE

P_M_G

Looking at pics of the EVO 4G LTE from The Verge and Android Central, I don't see a SIM slot. Would this mean that the SIM is integrated on this particular phone? Or maybe Sprint doesn't intend to make their LTE phone SIM-swapable. Probably would have to wait and see on how other Sprint LTE are setup. Pic links below.

http://www.androidcentral.com/hands-htc-evo-4g-lte

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/4/2925487/htc-evo-4g-lte-hands-on-pictures#3219810

Looking at pics of the EVO 4G LTE from The Verge and Android Central, I don't see a SIM slot. Would this mean that the SIM is integrated on this particular phone? Or maybe Sprint doesn't intend to make their LTE phone SIM-swapable. Probably would have to wait and see on how other Sprint LTE are setup. Pic links below.

http://www.androidce...-htc-evo-4g-lte

http://www.theverge....ictures#3219810

likely no SIM is there...

I'd think if it was integrated then it could be just done via software itself too...

the only reason I thought LTE devices before had SIM's was b/c all those carriers were SIM card carriers to begin with. They had to have a different SIM to support LTE when it was released...that is all...

though correct me if im wrong on that thinking there...

I am disappointed the phone isn't going to be quad core, just dual. I'm keeping my EVO until I start seeing some of the quads for next year.

tough to do quad when none are out.....this chip hangs with the tegra3 so its not all about # of cores its the whole architecture used and SoC itself...

S4 28nm Quad MIGHT be out for next EVO next year.....its possible, but the thing would need to be sampling end of this year early next for that to be possible i think...

I am disappointed the phone isn't going to be quad core, just dual. I'm keeping my EVO until I start seeing some of the quads for next year.

Have you seen the benchmarks showing this dual core S4 outperforming the quad tegra 3? There is a lot more to cpu performance than just cores.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

likely no SIM is there...

I'd think if it was integrated then it could be just done via software itself too...

the only reason I thought LTE devices before had SIM's was b/c all those carriers were SIM card carriers to begin with. They had to have a different SIM to support LTE when it was released...that is all...

though correct me if im wrong on that thinking there...

But VZW is a CDMA carrier and they introduced SIMs with the launch of their LTE network. I wonder how the Sprint version of the Galaxy Nexus will be set up.

But VZW is a CDMA carrier and they introduced SIMs with the launch of their LTE network. I wonder how the Sprint version of the Galaxy Nexus will be set up.

dunno why but i thought they had SIM's before LTE anyway. errrrr what i get for talking.

What a gathered briefly was the whole SIM LTE thing was b/c of security over the LTE network added with such UICC, correct?

http://www.gemalto.com/uicc_role/role.html

though also it kinda seems that its optional security thats added and not a required thing....least thats the gist i got from browsing around for a min...

http://www.3gpp.org/LTE

Thanks Duffman. I have long been wondering about that. Is it because of the outages on Verizon? Or was that the plan all along?

As far as the GNex, I saw some picture a while ago where it showed the battery compartment of a GNex without the SIM slot and someone speculated that it could be Sprint's version and they would not be using SIMs. I always figured that they would use SIMs since Verizon started using SIMs, but I guess not.

tough to do quad when none are out.....this chip hangs with the tegra3 so its not all about # of cores its the whole architecture used and SoC itself...

S4 28nm Quad MIGHT be out for next EVO next year.....its possible, but the thing would need to be sampling end of this year early next for that to be possible i think...

The current Dual-core S4 out performs the Tegra 3. Cores aren't everything. Tegra uses an older A9 architecture, while the S4 uses A15.

Thanks Duffman. I have long been wondering about that. Is it because of the outages on Verizon? Or was that the plan all along?

As far as the GNex, I saw some picture a while ago where it showed the battery compartment of a GNex without the SIM slot and someone speculated that it could be Sprint's version and they would not be using SIMs. I always figured that they would use SIMs since Verizon started using SIMs, but I guess not.

could very well be that...from what I gathered and edited my post above after you guys posted, it seems the SIM thing was just for added security of the network...though not a requirement.....could be wrong on that but i think i got that part right...

Like I said before, my sources say that Sprint will not be using SIMs. Do people feel there is some benefit to SIMs?

Easier to swap between LTE devices. If your source is correct, this means that Sprint is probably using UCCID cards. These cards(and the ICCID) are unique to the phone(and it's MEID) and not the card itself. This meaning that if a card(for example, a Sprint Galaxy Nexus w/ a UCCID card) was swapped into a another Sprint device, it would not work. Currently, MetroPCS uses this and they also can not swap a card between devices, even though it's user accessible.

The current Dual-core S4 out performs the Tegra 3. Cores aren't everything. Tegra uses an older A9 architecture, while the S4 uses A15.

dunno if you meant to quote me b/c i wasn't arguing against that at all...lol

the GPU int he T3 is superior though. the rest is a toss up at times and can vary greatly depending on how the chip is tuned exactly...big S4 fan here, pretty much everyone here will confirm that. lol

• Like 1

could very well be that...from what I gathered and edited my post above after you guys posted, it seems the SIM thing was just for added security of the network...though not a requirement.....could be wrong on that but i think i got that part right...

Sounds like something I should research and possibly drive an article if I find enough information about it.

Easier to swap between LTE devices. If your source is correct, this means that Sprint is probably using UCCID cards. These cards(and the ICCID) are unique to the phone(and it's MEID) and not the card itself. This meaning that if a card(for example, a Sprint Galaxy Nexus w/ a UCCID card) was swapped into a another Sprint device, it would not work. Currently, MetroPCS uses this and they also can not swap a card between devices, even though it's user accessible.

how do you swap a card if it doesn't exist or is unreachable?

how do you swap a card if it doesn't exist or is unreachable?

It isn't. Even though it's a card, it's not to be removed. If you need to swap devices, you do pretty much what most CDMA carriers do now and call in for a ESN/MEID swap.

Not sure who to quote on this, but remember that Samsung is said to be coming out with that 32nm quad core processor that plays nice with LTE. That could be included in phones this year. SGSIII perhaps?

Sounds like something I should research and possibly drive an article if I find enough information about it.

YES get to work! jkjkjk

the info out there in general is easy to assume it requires it b/c everyone uses it right now basically...but digging and finding those links i posted above made it seem it might just be an optional feature/implementation?...

dunno if you meant to quote me b/c i wasn't arguing against that at all...lol

the GPU int he T3 is superior though. the rest is a toss up at times and can vary greatly depending on how the chip is tuned exactly...big S4 fan here, pretty much everyone here will confirm that. lol

No, actually meant to quote the post above you from Robert. I don't know what happened lol

• Like 1

My perspective: just make the devices MAC addressable (a la DOCSIS modems), then enable subs to hot swap among MAC addresses on their accounts by way of a system app on the devices themselves. Or, better yet, implement the long rumored multiple device data plan that, along with Google Voice integration, would allow subs to run multiple devices simultaneously.

AJ

It isn't. Even though it's a card, it's not to be removed. If you need to swap devices, you do pretty much what most CDMA carriers do now and call in for a ESN/MEID swap.

So theres an actual physical card then in there no matter what? Why can't it just be the way it is now? Where does it state they have to add a "UCCID card" to the phone?

Can't they just keep it all the same and not use any additional cards? and go off the MEID/ESN/IMEI...?

So theres an actual physical card then in there no matter what? Why can't it just be the way it is now? Where does it state they have to add a "UCCID card" to the phone?

Can't they just keep it all the same and not use any additional cards? and go off the MEID/ESN/IMEI...?

I think LTE uses a card because it is technically a GSM technology. I could be way off though LOL

I assume so, but I'm not sure. In the case of the 3rd-Gen EVO, I believe either a physical or "virtual" card is somewhere in there(since the phone is given a ICCID No.(Normally on the card itself)).

I assume so, but I'm not sure. In the case of the 3rd-Gen EVO, I believe either a physical or "virtual" card is somewhere in there(since the phone is given a ICCID No.(Normally on the card itself)).

virtual is what I think is most likely...less they want the VZ route and have the security part added like i linked above...

regardless ill be waiting for an article as i dont have the energy to research much more on it. esp tonight. lol