Google Nexus 6 by Motorola Users Thread

WiWavelength

xt1103

Oops 00638nagpe

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

You were right with XT1103. Thanks

Everyone, the first post of the thread has been updated to the new S4GRU User Thread format. Please let me know if anything is out of date, like "No Sprint WiFi Calling"

Enjoy.

• Like 3

Well to be honest in certain aspects it is noticeable. It did install and execute applications faster. Boot is way faster. It overall has a better snap to it. Real world and to average, I doubt they know or care? Far as doing the removal its literally unlock boot loader, flash new boot IMG, erase usrdata, reboot, and Setup. Took me 3 minutes and about 10 to install my apps.

I tested several major apps, side by side with two n6's. One encrypted, one not. The only difference was 20 seconds longer boot time with the encrypted n6 (I'm sure to mount the encrypted partition). Benchmarks are a joke and don't show real world usage. I launched about 15 different apps, sometimes the encrypted one was even faster. There were no ui / snappy differences, nothing. I think people are having a placebo effect with disabling encryption. Pull out a stop watch or test side by side. You might get a second faster install of an app, but once its there and initialized, your going to have no difference with daily usage.

Ota updates will reenable encryption without modifications automatically, and the hassle / boot time vs the increased security are not worth it. Especially if your device gets lost or stolen you're going to really wish you had left it on. (Been there)

-Shane

• Like 3

I tested several major apps, side by side with two n6's. One encrypted, one not. The only difference was 20 seconds longer boot time with the encrypted n6 (I'm sure to mount the encrypted partition). Benchmarks are a joke and don't show real world usage. I launched about 15 different apps, sometimes the encrypted one was even faster. There were no ui / snappy differences, nothing. I think people are having a placebo effect with disabling encryption. Pull out a stop watch or test side by side. You might get a second faster install of an app, but once its there and initialized, your going to have no difference with daily usage.

Ota updates will reenable encryption without modifications automatically, and the hassle / boot time vs the increased security are not worth it. Especially if your device gets lost or stolen you're going to really wish you had left it on. (Been there)

-Shane

It had 0 to do with benchmarks to why I disabled it. I know ota will disable it, but I buy a nexus to develope and tweak with. So I hardly do ota vs I just fastboot my updates giving me the control to encrypt or not with the updates. Also far as encryption goes and this is through the anandtech article the encryption serves no purpose out of box to protect people more unless you security pin your device. So honestly there is 0 reason to desire it and why not gain the extra few % of performance gains? That is all. Your phone is yours, mine is mine :). I seen a jump in performance getting rid of it.

And why wouldn't you password pin the device? With the new skiplock features it makes it very easy. But yeah my point is the benchmarks are not real world examples and no one should use that data to determine if they should get this device. Can't make everyone happy. People want secure, etc. Then others complain it makes it take 20 seconds longer to boot :P

Has anyone rooted theirs yet?  -  Still no stock at any of the Sprint stores in my area.  Maybe this afternoon...

Man, I knew you'd be over here!!!  Mr. I switched to an iphone and I like it.  Pffffft.......Ha ha, you sound like me, I want this thing badly, BUT I don't want the 32GB version, however I don't want to pay full retail. (would kind of like the white version too)

Man, I knew you'd be over here!!!  Mr. I switched to an iphone and I like it.  Pffffft.......Ha ha, you sound like me, I want this thing badly, BUT I don't want the 32GB version, however I don't want to pay full retail. (would kind of like the white version too)

Haha yeah.  I just miss Android too much.  The whole 6" screen thing kinda threw me off at first, but the more I look at it, the more I am sure I will grow to love it.  I don't install a ton of custom ROMs, but I miss being able to if I want to.  I miss all the widgets - SignalCheck...  everything about Android ha. 

The 32 GB version doesn't bug me - on the 64 GB iPhone I still have 49 GB free and I have installed a TON of apps (in my mind at least).  I use SiriusXM for music, so I don't tend to keep any songs actually on my phone, and I offload pictures every couple of weeks to my computer.

I am going to attempt to scoop this up after work, but if it isn't in stock I might talk myself out of it during the weekend.  Who knows.  Either way I think I am going to sell the iPhone 6.  I will either be using a Nexus 6 or my old Nexus 5 by Monday.

• Like 1

Haha yeah.  I just miss Android too much.  The whole 6" screen thing kinda threw me off at first, but the more I look at it, the more I am sure I will grow to love it.  I don't install a ton of custom ROMs, but I miss being able to if I want to.  I miss all the widgets - SignalCheck...  everything about Android ha. 

The 32 GB version doesn't bug me - on the 64 GB iPhone I still have 49 GB free and I have installed a TON of apps (in my mind at least).  I use SiriusXM for music, so I don't tend to keep any songs actually on my phone, and I offload pictures every couple of weeks to my computer.

I am going to attempt to scoop this up after work, but if it isn't in stock I might talk myself out of it during the weekend.  Who knows.  Either way I think I am going to sell the iPhone 6.  I will either be using a Nexus 6 or my old Nexus 5 by Monday.

After taking my S5 to the Fitchburg Splashpad and being able to chase my daughter down with great water shots without worrying, the REAL hang up for me is the water resistance or lack thereof.  That and some dad next to me with this iphone dropped it into a huge puddle and his phone was instantly a paper weight, ha. 

anyways, good luck, I hope you get it.  Perhaps we'd have to grab that beer some day soon so I can see that N6 in person.  Did the store have a demo unit?  I'm assuming you're going to the University Ave store? 

anyways, good luck, I hope you get it.  Perhaps we'd have to grab that beer some day soon so I can see that N6 in person.  Did the store have a demo unit?  I'm assuming you're going to the University Ave store? 

Not sure if they have a demo up yet or not.  Guess I'll find out in a couple hours.  I'm sure you will know if I end up getting it as I will probably be much more active on our Milwaukee Premier thread if I have SignalCheck running daily.  Once I get it, we can try to set up an afternoon to grab that beer after work.

For anyone, like myself, interested in the N6...  I just read on reddit from a verified employee that there will be a Black Friday promo where anyone that buys a Nexus 6 from Sprint will get a $50 Google Play Store credit. 

Might just wait it out a week and hope they don't get too far behind the demand.

My N6 has suddenly lost all data/LTE connections.

Tried a factory reset to no avail.

Is there a way to re-provision it through the dial pad or do I need to call Sprint?

Any other suggestions would be cool too.  

Thanks. 

Mav.  :ninja:

Is there a way to re-provision it through the dial pad or do I need to call Sprint?

Thanks.

Mav. :ninja:

*#*#72786#*#*

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks. 

Mav.   :ninja:

sounds like a sim issue

• Like 1

so I stopped in to my local Sprint store today. And they have both the Nexus 6 and the Galaxy Note edge on display. They actually had Nexus 6 in stock and I was the first one to inquire about it since they had it in late afternoon yesterday. They're home button on their demo unit wasn't working so I couldn't get a good feel of how the system performs but I was able to do a size comparison, between my HTC One max the Nexus 6 and then note edge. Its actually smaller! Screen is nice and I do want a white 64gb version personally. I see myself waiting to see what HTC releases in the next few quarters though.

I am in the same boat.

Lots to love about both phones but for some reason, I find myself missing nexus.