Softbank looking at America Movil assets...

twospirits

First it was Softbank looking into Mexicos' wireless carrier Grupo lusacell SA assets back in September and now according to the Wall Street Journal, Softbank is really looking into the assets of Mexico's America Movil SAB.

Masa really has a thing for Mexico lately.

Now if he succeeds in acquiring either one or both, what does that mean for deployment in the IBEZ? Granted it is Softbank we are talking about not Sprint, but I can't help to wonder what it would mean to the two (or more) wireless carriers in adjacent countries owned by one parent company in terms of coverage and frequencies?

TS

• Like 1

Now if he succeeds in acquiring either one or both, what does that mean for deployment in the IBEZ? Granted it is Softbank we are talking about not Sprint, but I can't help to wonder what it would mean to the two (or more) wireless carriers in adjacent countries owned by one parent company in terms of coverage and frequencies?

TS

It won't mean anything unless they get the company that has the SMR band in Mexico... (Which is neither of those two if my memory is correct).

It won't mean anything unless they get the company that has the SMR band in Mexico... (Which is neither of those two if my memory is correct).

NII Holdings is the company name you're looking for. Or Nextel International. They own, in addition to the SMR business in Mexico, a 15x15 block of AWS. They supposedly have deployed a network on it. They are in Chapter 11 right now. They are in trouble with falling revenue and arpu metrics. They need a sugar daddy real soon!

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

Does America Movil have any 2.5 GHz spectrum?

At this point, I believe not. Mexico took back the spectrum last year, and it has been reconfigured for bands 7 and 38. The transition to prepare it for auction should be completed in a couple of years.

• Like 1

NII Holdings is the company name you're looking for. Or Nextel International. They own, in addition to the SMR business in Mexico, a 15x15 block of AWS. They supposedly have deployed a network on it. They are in Chapter 11 right now. They are in trouble with falling revenue and arpu metrics. They need a sugar daddy real soon!

Its time to put the Sprint into Sprint-Nextel.