HTC One M8 and LTE Band 26 Dropping to 3G

ReproOne

I have a situation I am hoping someone can assist with.

I've had my HTC ONE M8 for a while now, even replaced it the first month as my family's iPhones had better LTE reception. They would have LTE when I had 3G. However, at my work the LTE was stable on band 25. Over the past month or two it appears that Band 26 LTE has been activated in my area, zip 45342 with cross streets of Byers Rd and Benner Rd. My previously stable LTE connection is now connecting to band 26 and then dropping to 3G, and it is doing so about twice a minute.

I can access the ##DATA# and disable Band 26 which allows it to remain on a stable Band 25 LTE connection.

However, I discovered today that if I access *#*#4636#*#*, go to Phone Information, then press the three dots on the top right and then "Select radio band", I can then press on USA Band, Cellular (800-Mhz Band), PCS (1900-Mhz Band) and then Secondary 800-Mhz Band. Once I do that and exit those options, my phone then keeps a LTE connection...even a better connection than normal and it even stays on Band 26.

If I restart the phone, the symptoms return unless I go back to that 4636 menu and perform those steps again. Any ideas?

My m8 worked great on band 26. It could be network related kicking you off due to it not being fully operational. Ericsson was notorious fornthiz, we called them donuts. Basically it would kick you once you got closer to the site. Or if you didnt keep a steady data session.

I was initially thinking Band 26 wasn't ready yet, possibly having the switching issues.

However, when I perform the steps mentioned above the phone works great with a steady band 26 connection:

I was initially thinking Band 26 wasn't ready yet, possibly having the switching issues.

However, when I perform the steps mentioned above the phone works great with a steady band 26 connection:

So you are forcing the phone into band 26 only basically. Which is why it works

based on talk that was happening in the B26 thread in the premier section it sounds like its a network issue. There were posts from people in there that were saying they would be on perfectly good working B26 connections and then all of the sudden they were kicked down to 3G. i don't have any advice, just wanted to pass along that others have posted recently about the same issues.

it could be market/vendor related, in my area, which is a samsung market, i do not have this issue and neither does anyone else i know on sprint.

• Like 1

Does your phone ring when on B26?  Maybe its a circuit switching issue.  My M8 on B26 is perfectly fine.  Heck, perfectly fine on any band.  B25 might not be the best RF I have ever seen, but it hands off to B26 great, so I am ok with that.

based on talk that was happening in the B26 thread in the premier section it sounds like its a network issue. There were posts from people in there that were saying they would be on perfectly good working B26 connections and then all of the sudden they were kicked down to 3G. i don't have any advice, just wanted to pass along that others have posted recently about the same issues.

it could be market/vendor related, in my area, which is a samsung market, i do not have this issue and neither does anyone else i know on sprint.

I'm suddenly having the same issue. My phone would hit about -115 RSRP on band 25 as I would enter my office at work. For the last month it would simply jump over to band 26 with an RSRP of -105 or so. Now this week, I can't seem to connect to band 26 anymore. Now I'm being bumped to EHRPD instead. Perhaps band 26 was disabled on the site?

I experimented further and found the following:

Access the data menu and disable Band 41 (in this area I do not have Band 41, just 25 & 26)

That has allowed my phone to cycle between band 26 and 25 without issue. I then, with the recent update to the M8, you can also change the band priority. I made it 26 then 25 (was 25 to 26). That seems to have helped it remain at even a band 25 connection longer when the signal is weaker.

Try disabling Band 41 and let me know...

So after some experimenting, my m8 does this where it switches to band 26 and drops to 3g. I decided to turn my one max back on, in the same spots where the m8 does the drop, my max holds band 26 no problem. I can't figure out why but my max is not affected by the band 26 drop issue.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk 2

Interesting about the Max compared to the M8. My M8 continues to work with band 41 disabled, if I enable it the issues return.

Maybe someone can tell if the 45342 area is being worked on, as well as provide some ideas on what is going on with the two models.

Interesting about the Max compared to the M8. My M8 continues to work with band 41 disabled, if I enable it the issues return.

Maybe someone can tell if the 45342 area is being worked on, as well as provide some ideas on what is going on with the two models.

My friend, my max works fine in miamisburg as well as in Franklin, Dayton. I have actually visited quite a few towers out that way. Which tower is yours?

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk 2

eCSFB is not turned on yet. If you use SignalCheck Pro, you'll see when you connect to B26 (or attempt to), it'll say telephone calls unavailable. Once they flip the switch you'll be golden.

Happened to my G2 on a local site.

Sent from my LG-LS980

I went to the local Sprint store where all their HTC ONE M8s were on older firmware and older PRLs, with Band 41 disabled.

I updated the PRL and firmware, but Band 41 remained disabled.

I then updated the Data Profile and Band 41 became enabled. Once it was enabled, along with Bands 25 and 26, it started dropping to 3G when on Band 26.

It has to be a device issue since it is not affecting other Triband devices in that area. Something is happening with the Band 41 setting that will not allow it to park on Band 26. Very strange.