burnout8488

Apple iPad Air 2 Owners Thread

burnout8488    492

Share your experiences!

Just ordered my cellular model from Best Buy as soon as "Add to Cart" became available on their website this morning. Should be at my store later this week.

What's everyone seeing as far as Sprint plan options on the cellular model? Screenshots?

Azimuth    178

What? You guys have these already? :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jamisonshaw125    3,594

I wish.....it still amazes me they made an iPad that is thinner than the iPhone 6....Just what....

ockoerner    51

I picked mine up in store. 64gig gold. I hooked it up to T-Mobile tho. Sorry Sprint.

burnout8488    492

I picked mine up in store. 64gig gold. I hooked it up to T-Mobile tho. Sorry Sprint.

Was it the 5 gig for 5 months for $10 deal? Even as a Sprint fanboy, that's hard to pass up. But I am curious if Sprint has daily plans now.

• Like 2

ockoerner    51

Was it the 5 gig for 5 months for $10 deal? Even as a Sprint fanboy, that's hard to pass up. But I am curious if Sprint has daily plans now.

It is and I also have great coverage in my area so I had to go with it.

Azimuth    178

I've noticed a real slowdown with my iPad 4 which is hard to imagine as it hasn't been that long...has it? I used an iPad Air recently and could tell it was hugely faster. I cannot wait for my Air 2. :) I also just upgraded to a 200GB iCloud storage plan so I'm locked and loaded...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

jamisonshaw125    3,594

I've noticed a real slowdown with my iPad 4 which is hard to imagine as it hasn't been that long...has it? I used an iPad Air recently and could tell it was hugely faster. I cannot wait for my Air 2. :) I also just upgraded to a 200GB iCloud storage plan so I'm locked and loaded...

Finally someone else has had a similar experience. I have the 4th gen too and I have noticed a humongous slow down. It's actually horrible tbh. I don't know  if its just iOS 8.1 and the bugs still haven't been worked out yet, but I am kinda irritated with it. If it didn't have 2 years of applecare on it I would totally sell it and use the money towards an iPad mini retina 2 or air 2.

burnout8488    492

Finally someone else has had a similar experience. I have the 4th gen too and I have noticed a humongous slow down. It's actually horrible tbh. I don't know  if its just iOS 8.1 and the bugs still haven't been worked out yet, but I am kinda irritated with it. If it didn't have 2 years of applecare on it I would totally sell it and use the money towards an iPad mini retina 2 or air 2.

Try a factory reset - The 4th Gen iPad is more than capable of running 8.1, but the old backups and OS upgrades tend to slow it down for some reason.

My iPad2 was horrendous after OTA updating, but perked up after a restore. Wasn't great, but it did definitely improve.

• Like 1

jamisonshaw125    3,594

Try a factory reset - The 4th Gen iPad is more than capable of running 8.1, but the old backups and OS upgrades tend to slow it down for some reason.

My iPad2 was horrendous after OTA updating, but perked up after a restore. Wasn't great, but it did definitely improve.

It just doesn't make sense. It's quite laggy. Even safari loads so slow... (I blame that on the ads) but it shouldn't load THATTTT slow. 

lennyj17    117

Got my iPad Air 2's last night.... WOW! What a worthless Telesales experience. Since this was a brand new line, didn't have phone number for it yet and I didn't want to go on single Tablet plans (only thing available by activating through the iPad), I needed to be transferred to Telesales first (Sprint please American-ize Telesales again) to assign a Phone number UGH!

All was going fine until the rep kept asking for a CCID number, kept telling her It's not here in the "About" Screen after 20 mins of going through every serial number on the About screen she gets assistance on the line and she states the CCID is the "SIM" and I would have to remove the SIM from each iPad and read the number. Since these are Apple SIM and not Sprint SIM the confusion goes from bad to worse. I read her both SIM numbers and she puts me on hold for 20mins and comes back saying she needs the SIM numbers again after I placed them back in their respective iPads. Another 20mins goes by, then she comes back and tells me to go to the store. Which, after all that, I was thinking would be best. After giving up for the night I decided to try to activate through the iPad themselves and then call and switch the plan with Regular CS. BINGO, Very Easily done. Wish I would've known that ahead of time to save myself a 90 min Worthless Telesales Call.

So Here's A Tip.... Activate the SIM/Line on the iPad, choose any plan to get the thing activated. Once you have "Sprint" up in the Corner, call Reg CS to change the plan..... CS can't do anything until the iPad has a Phone number assigned.  

burnout8488    492

Here's my rant...

Got my cellular 64 from best buy last night. Opened it, there was a fingerprint on the Apple logo present under the plastic wrap. At this point, I'm worried.

Get to the front, there's a deep scratch in the glass. On the back, there's what looks like dried sweat on the aluminum.

How does this even happen Foxconn? This would have never passed a QC check if it actually went through one. I wonder if someone at Best Buy opened it, then re-shrink wrapped it.

Gotta try to exchange it now, but Best Buy doesn't carry the cellular models yet in store.

Dfarley    210

Anybody tried plugging an Apple Sim into last years iPad models (Air or Mini w/Retina)? I had to argue with every genius in the local Apple Store just to sell me an Apple SIM so I could test it in my Mini w/Retina but once I finally got my hands on it I'm only getting an Invalid SIM error. I realize that all the info says the Apple SIM is only compatible with the new models, but I'm thinking its a software lockdown and I'd be curious to see what would happen if an "activated" Apple SIM got plugged into last year's model

GoWireless    64

Got my iPad Air 2's last night.... WOW! What a worthless Telesales experience. Since this was a brand new line, didn't have phone number for it yet and I didn't want to go on single Tablet plans (only thing available by activating through the iPad), I needed to be transferred to Telesales first (Sprint please American-ize Telesales again) to assign a Phone number UGH!

All was going fine until the rep kept asking for a CCID number, kept telling her It's not here in the "About" Screen after 20 mins of going through every serial number on the About screen she gets assistance on the line and she states the CCID is the "SIM" and I would have to remove the SIM from each iPad and read the number. Since these are Apple SIM and not Sprint SIM the confusion goes from bad to worse. I read her both SIM numbers and she puts me on hold for 20mins and comes back saying she needs the SIM numbers again after I placed them back in their respective iPads. Another 20mins goes by, then she comes back and tells me to go to the store. Which, after all that, I was thinking would be best. After giving up for the night I decided to try to activate through the iPad themselves and then call and switch the plan with Regular CS. BINGO, Very Easily done. Wish I would've known that ahead of time to save myself a 90 min Worthless Telesales Call.

So Here's A Tip.... Activate the SIM/Line on the iPad, choose any plan to get the thing activated. Once you have "Sprint" up in the Corner, call Reg CS to change the plan..... CS can't do anything until the iPad has a Phone number assigned.  

I wanted to mention that one benefit of the activate-from-the-tablet-plans is that I believe on those Sprint doesn't tack on all of their insane fees. The price you see is the price you get.

burnout8488    492

My replacement Air 2 finally came today. This time, no dings in the screen! However the backlight on the left edge is slightly dimmer than the rest of the panel. I'm not gonna return this one right away, maybe I'll take it to an Apple store in a month or two to exchange it if this isn't the norm. Not an immediate dealbreaker though, and maybe it'll burn in with time.

The T-Mobile 5GB/5Month deal looks very attractive, but they don't even have 3G at my work, only 2G. I'll most likely be buying a Sprint data plan soon. If I move to Philadelphia soon I can suck down all of that sweet sweet Band 41 as well. 

Here are the Sprint plans available on my Air 2.

88e8057949aa2d459686ac2e9435410c.jpg

IMO, 1GB should be ten bucks. These plans aren't as competitive as Tmo if you're in an urban area where T-mobile isn't a bad choice. 

• Like 1

travismheim    592

IMO, 1GB should be ten bucks. These plans aren't as competitive as Tmo if you're in an urban area where T-mobile isn't a bad choice.

Aside from the 300MB day pass and 500MB week pass, those plans are identical to the stand alone subsidized tablet plans. I was hoping they would have something more competitive.

burnout8488    492

Aside from the 300MB day pass and 500MB week pass, those plans are identical to the stand alone subsidized tablet plans. I was hoping they would have something more competitive.

Hopefully soon.

Here's my Apple SIM, with some weird dog+beer patch covering up the numbers.

3A30A4AA-C795-4F12-A4A6-03A64DFF5906.jpg

burnout8488    492

I just discovered something really cool. You can actually have two simultaneous carriers "activated" on the device, and swap between them whenever you want. 

I have 1GB/1mo of Sprint, and 5GB/5mo of T-Mobile activated on this device now, so I can use Sprint when at work, and T-Mobile everywhere else. Awesome! I figured you would have to sacrifice the other carrier to switch, but still maintain use of the Apple SIM. 

Dfarley    210

I just discovered something really cool. You can actually have two simultaneous carriers "activated" on the device, and swap between them whenever you want.

I have 1GB/1mo of Sprint, and 5GB/5mo of T-Mobile activated on this device now, so I can use Sprint when at work, and T-Mobile everywhere else. Awesome! I figured you would have to sacrifice the other carrier to switch, but still maintain use of the Apple SIM.

How does iMessage work when you switch between carriers? Does your caller ID change and you have to manually select another outgoing ID?

sbolen    2,770

How does iMessage work when you switch between carriers? Does your caller ID change and you have to manually select another outgoing ID?

iMessage should be tied to your Apple ID.

burnout8488    492

Yup, when you're on an iPad, it either uses your Apple ID e-mail address, or the phone number of your iPhone for iMessage. Depending on how you set it up. 

Dfarley    210

Yes, but it's also tied to your cell number if you choose - I for one don't like texting people with my email address as the ID. On my iPad I have my iPhone cell number selected as my outgoing ID and my "number" associated with my iPad deselected, however, anytime I mess with the SIM in either my phone or my iPad something always seems to get screwed up with my ID on iMessage. I'm just curious how jumping between carriers affects your ID. I'm also curious how this would be handled if the Apple SIM idea ever transfers over to the iPhone - if Apple could somehow hold the phone number on the SIM and you jump between carriers with the same number that would be ideal.

sbolen    2,770

Yes, but it's also tied to your cell number if you choose - I for one don't like texting people with my email address as the ID. On my iPad I have my iPhone cell number selected as my outgoing ID and my "number" associated with my iPad deselected, however, anytime I mess with the SIM in either my phone or my iPad something always seems to get screwed up with my ID on iMessage. I'm just curious how jumping between carriers affects your ID. I'm also curious how this would be handled if the Apple SIM idea ever transfers over to the iPhone - if Apple could somehow hold the phone number on the SIM and you jump between carriers with the same number that would be ideal.

I can originate a message from my phone number associated with iMessage on my Mac; why would this be different? Data is data.

Dfarley    210

I can originate a message from my phone number associated with iMessage on my Mac; why would this be different? Data is data.

So can I - and in fact that's the setup I have on my iPhone, Mac Mini & iPad. But as a perfect example I took the SIM card out of my iPhone the other night and swapped it for another (I managed to get an Apple SIM from the Apple Store so I was testing it out in my phone), then replaced my original. I then sent an iMessage from my Mac Mini to my brother and the caller ID switched itself to my Apple ID (email address) from my cell number. Then when I texted (iMessaged) my brother from my iPhone the next day the outgoing caller ID showed up as my Apple ID (email address) even though I was texting from my phone. I'm always having these issues with iMessage. (I know, delete the thread and start a new one and your ID should reset itself, but it's just a pain).

My concern is that when you're constantly switching carriers on your iPad, what effect does that have on you outgoing caller ID? I'm guessing that as long as your iPhone remains intact and that number is your outgoing caller ID on all devices you should be ok, but I don't have an iPad Air 2 so I can't test it....hence the question.

burnout8488    492

My concern is that when you're constantly switching carriers on your iPad, what effect does that have on you outgoing caller ID?

None. Switching carriers on an iPad is no different than switching wifi networks. It's just a different data connection. iMessage doesn't care where the data comes from - it only matters on a phone because the phone number switches when you swap SIMs.