Notes:

• Sprint Band 41 Carrier Aggregation
  • Sprint Spark
  • Sprint Direct Connect Now
  • HD Voice
  • Wi-Fi Calling
  • Not Fully CCA/RRPP Compliant
  • Currently no Sprint VoLTE capabilities
  • No SVLTE (Spark devices don't support SVLTE)
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Ok, so far 3 days with this device.

I held it and played with it in Best Buy last month, which made me want it. But using it as a daily driver for the last two days is a totally difference experience. I liked it back then and and I am in love with it now. Yes, it's expensive and yes, it's a bit wider than my Note 4 (which I still love too). But it is still less wider than my Mega and (i assume the Nexus 6 which I still haven't taken out of the UPS box). Granted the Note Edge is not for everyone, be it size, Touchwiz, the  curved edge, etc.

Much like the Note 4, I had to re-provision the device since it refused to get a signal at all. Actually before that I couldn't even sign on to Google since I swapped my Mega for it and I have that darn 2 step verification and it kept sending the code to the device I just swapped from. lol

The Edge seems as fluid as my Note 4, feels better in the hand due to the curve in both naked (no cover) and with the cover. Speaking of cover, I had to go to the death star to get a cover for it. Since it's an official OEM Edge cover, it didn't have the AT&T branding thankfully.

I received it Wed and after the provisioning, it received my home site signals very well. Thursday at work, it couldn't grab on to the signal, but neither did my Note 4. They both kept dropping in and out of LTE. By the end of the day, seems everything was fine and both stayed on LTE. 

I took both Notes into Manhattan today (Friday) and both grabbed onto the signal fine. Except when I was in the Museum (i put them both on wi-fi at that point). In Wi-fi it seems the Note Edge found the signal faster than the Note 4.

Back home I took a screen shot tonight of both the Note and Edge after installing SignalCheck Pro. . 

Screenshot_2014-11-21-22-small.png

Since the Sprint Note Edge does not have an official Root process yet and I refuse to use the T-Mobile one that some are saying works, The app doesn't reset on the Edge since it needs root, but so far I haven't had a problem with the Edge getting a signal.

Then again, I don't have the technical know how or apps/devices that can do a thorough diagnostic for comparison purposes.  

Battery life is a totally different issue. It does seem to drain faster than the Note 4. But since I am always plugging in my devices (in car, work, home,etc) I am rarely in a situation that I am running out of juice. I may do a battery drain test tomorrow to confirm my suspicions. 

Although I am a right handed, I hold my devices for the most part with my left hand. But for the Note Edge it feels great in either hand. using my right hand and I can flip through the edge panels. using my left hand i can enable the Rotate 180 degree feature and flip the device upside down. 

Settings for the most part are the same, the only differences are as follows...

1-In the Device section, there is now a Edge Screen selection.

Screenshot_2014-11-21-23-1-small.png

2-In the System section, under Accessories, the Note 4 has a S View Cover sub-section and the Edge has a Flip Wallet section.

Screenshot_2014-11-21-23-2-small.png

3-In the drop down Notification panel settings selection, there are quite a few buttons not available on the Note Edge for some reason. 

First part (upper section) is the same buttons.

Screenshot_2014-11-21-23-3-small.png

But that is is for the Note Edge, The Note 4 has more buttons. 

Screenshot_2014-11-21-23-4-small.png

Now I have to wait for Root to determine if that is due to an app I installed on the Note 4 like Wanam exposed or not.

Well that's it for now. I'll report something else if I notice anything different.

TS out

• Like 6

I held it and played with it in Best Buy last month, which made me want it. But using it as a daily driver for the last two days is a totally difference experience...

Excellent write up. I have been intrigued with the Note Edge. I appreciated reading your perspective.

OK Edge users, you have the opportunity to show the first 80mbps+ speed test with CA on B41! :)  No pressure!

Probably not even turned on yet at the tower level anywhere.

I thought the Edge lacked CA? 

I held it and played with it in Best Buy last month, which made me want it. But using it as a daily driver for the last two days is a totally difference experience. I liked it back then and and I am in love with it now. Yes, it's expensive and yes, it's a bit wider than my Note 4 (which I still love too). But it is still less wider than my Mega and (i assume the Nexus 6 which I still haven't taken out of the UPS box). Granted the Note Edge is not for everyone, be it size, Touchwiz, the  curved edge, etc.

Much like the Note 4, I had to re-provision the device since it refused to get a signal at all. Actually before that I couldn't even sign on to Google since I swapped my Mega for it and I have that darn 2 step verification and it kept sending the code to the device I just swapped from. lol

The Edge seems as fluid as my Note 4, feels better in the hand due to the curve in both naked (no cover) and with the cover. Speaking of cover, I had to go to the death star to get a cover for it. Since it's an official OEM Edge cover, it didn't have the AT&T branding thankfully.

I received it Wed and after the provisioning, it received my home site signals very well. Thursday at work, it couldn't grab on to the signal, but neither did my Note 4. They both kept dropping in and out of LTE. By the end of the day, seems everything was fine and both stayed on LTE. 

I took both Notes into Manhattan today (Friday) and both grabbed onto the signal fine. Except when I was in the Museum (i put them both on wi-fi at that point). In Wi-fi it seems the Note Edge found the signal faster than the Note 4.

Back home I took a screen shot tonight of both the Note and Edge after installing SignalCheck Pro. . 

Since the Sprint Note Edge does not have an official Root process yet and I refuse to use the T-Mobile one that some are saying works, The app doesn't reset on the Edge since it needs root, but so far I haven't had a problem with the Edge getting a signal.

Then again, I don't have the technical know how or apps/devices that can do a thorough diagnostic for comparison purposes.  

Battery life is a totally different issue. It does seem to drain faster than the Note 4. But since I am always plugging in my devices (in car, work, home,etc) I am rarely in a situation that I am running out of juice. I may do a battery drain test tomorrow to confirm my suspicions. 

Although I am a right handed, I hold my devices for the most part with my left hand. But for the Note Edge it feels great in either hand. using my right hand and I can flip through the edge panels. using my left hand i can enable the Rotate 180 degree feature and flip the device upside down. 

Settings for the most part are the same, the only differences are as follows...

1-In the Device section, there is now a Edge Screen selection.

2-In the System section, under Accessories, the Note 4 has a S View Cover sub-section and the Edge has a Flip Wallet section.

3-In the drop down Notification panel settings selection, there are quite a few buttons not available on the Note Edge for some reason. 

First part (upper section) is the same buttons.

But that is is for the Note Edge, The Note 4 has more buttons. 

Now I have to wait for Root to determine if that is due to an app I installed on the Note 4 like Wanam exposed or not.

Well that's it for now. I'll report something else if I notice anything different.

TS out

Does Download Booster actually work on the Sprint Note Edge????  I was wondering if they have incorporated it back into the phone or not.  I see it in your picture as one of the icons.  So I just wonder if it works or not.

Does Download Booster actually work on the Sprint Note Edge????  I was wondering if they have incorporated it back into the phone or not.  I see it in your picture as one of the icons.  So I just wonder if it works or not.

The images I posted above are in order of Note 4 to the left and Note Edge to the right, that last image is of the Note 4 showing the additional setting buttons that it has. The Note Edge don't have them, to which to answer your question, there is no Download booster setting for the Note Edge..

I still do not know why there are less notifications panel setting buttons for the Edge, when it is basically is the Note 4 application wise. 

TS

• Like 1

So what day will the phone be available in stores? I want to get one next week with easy pay.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

I was at a corporate store today and they had one on display... didn't ask if they had any in stock though. I would assume that if they have it on display that they have/had some in stock.
  • Like 1

There is no doubt the Edge is designed for B41.  But how is the real world performance on B25 LTE?  If you look at my chart from FCC data, the max EIRP data for B25 is 23% less for B25 than a LG G2. The other bands are also down somewhat.

There is no doubt the Edge is designed for B41.  But how is the real world performance on B25 LTE?  If you look at my chart from FCC data, the max EIRP data for B25 is 23% less for B25 than a LG G2. The other bands are also down somewhat.

I posted a few SignalCheck Pro screenshots comparisons of the Nexus 6, Note 4, Mega and Edge over in the Nexus thread here.

TS

• Like 1

If you look at my chart from FCC data, the max EIRP data for B25 is 23% less for B25 than a LG G2. The other bands are also down somewhat.

Your calculations are way off.  Decibels are logarithmic -- you cannot calculate percentages as if the figures were linear.  For example, any 3 dB decrease is a 50 percent decrease.

AJ

• Like 1

Your calculations are way off.  Decibels are logarithmic -- you cannot calculate percentages as if the figures were linear.  For example, any 3 dB decrease is a 50 percent decrease.

AJ

This makes the real world results shown by twospirits above even more interesting.  Based on lab tests (generalized), the Note Edge's B25 LTE performance should have been notably lower, but is on par:

Band 25 EIRP Maximum Lab Tests versus twospirits Real World

Phone        B25 EIRP Max    B25 RSRP #1   B25 RSRP #2

Note 4          22.45           -82           -84                

Note Edge       18.50           -80           -82

Nexus 6         22.92           -82           -83

This makes the real world results shown by twospirits above even more interesting. Based on lab tests (generalized), the Note Edge's B25 LTE performance should have been notably lower, but is on par:

Band 25 EIRP Maximum Lab Tests versus twospirits Real World

Phone B25 EIRP Max B25 RSRP #1 B25 RSRP #2

Note 4 22.45 -82 -84

Note Edge 18.50 -80 -82

Nexus 6 22.92 -82 -83

Isn't the Edge using a different tower because the GCI value is different?

Isn't the Edge using a different tower because the GCI value is different?

Here are the two photos used:

http://santafemods.com/Forum/s4gru/Screenshots/Nexus6/Mega-Note4-Edge-Nexus6-4.png

http://santafemods.com/Forum/s4gru/Screenshots/Nexus6/Mega-Note4-Edge-Nexus6-5.png

Further into the photos the same site sector changes to 1A indicating B26.  Thus these are all B25 from the same site.

This makes the real world results shown by twospirits above even more interesting.  Based on lab tests (generalized), the Note Edge's B25 LTE performance should have been notably lower, but is on par:

Your informal comparison is running into problems again because you are conflating two different things:  EIRP and RSRP.  The former is transmitted power, the latter received power.  For regulation purposes, the FCC is concerned with only transmission, not reception.  So, all FCC OET published test results are for transmission.  We do not routinely get test results for reception -- other than anecdotal reports, such as twospirits' observations.

But the gist of it is this:  transmission performance does not necessarily correlate with reception performance -- and vice versa.  Compared to a superior transmitter, a poor/average transmitter may exhibit little, if any difference in reception.  And the two different devices may perform much the same in strong signal areas.  For reference, twospirits had very strong band 25 signal across his tests.  However, in weak signal areas, that poor/average transmitter more quickly will run out of power on the uplink.  In such cases, downlink reception is irrelevant, and the link will fail, dropping to EV-DO, CDMA1X, roaming service, or no service in more locations.

AJ

• Like 2

btw, those test results were from my home, at work its a different story.  :wall: 

But the gist of it is this:  transmission performance does not necessarily correlate with reception performance -- and vice versa.  Compared to a superior transmitter, a poor/average transmitter may exhibit little, if any difference in reception.  And the two different devices may perform much the same in strong signal areas.  For reference, twospirits had very strong band 25 signal across his tests.  However, in weak signal areas, that poor/average transmitter more quickly will run out of power on the uplink.  In such cases, downlink reception is irrelevant, and the link will fail, dropping to EV-DO, CDMA1X, roaming service, or no service in more locations.

AJ

hmmm with what you said above AJ, I would assume that the poor/average transmitter (here near my work) is being received well on the Note Edge (which stays on LTE, regardless of the band) and that my Note 4 continues to refuse to stay on LTE and drops down to eHRPD.

That seems to be the only reason why the Note 4 refuses to grab on to a LTE signal. Unless the Note 4 is a dud and needs to be replace. aarrgghh.

TS

hmmm with what you said above AJ, I would assume that the poor/average transmitter (here near my work) is being received well on the Note Edge...

No, per its FCC OET published test results, the "poor/average transmitter" is the Galaxy Note Edge itself.  Did you take the "poor/average transmitter" to mean the serving cell site?

AJ

Your informal comparison is running into problems again because you are conflating two different things:  EIRP and RSRP.  The former is transmitted power, the latter received power.  For regulation purposes, the FCC is concerned with only transmission, not reception.  So, all FCC OET published test results are for transmission.  We do not routinely get test results for reception -- other than anecdotal reports, such as twospirits' observations.

AJ

Thank you for your well written, concise, and informative clarification. You are correct that I was assuming a high correlation between transmission and reception performance, given today's use of standardized modems.  The possibility of the transmission and reception being out of "sync" with each other raises interesting possibilities for bad design/marketing deception.  Having purchased boosters in the past, I was aware of the importance of uplink power.  A very good description of weak uplink issues. Thanks again.

No, per its FCC OET published test results, the "poor/average transmitter" is the Galaxy Note Edge itself.  Did you take the "poor/average transmitter" to mean the serving cell site?

AJ

Yes I the village idiot did take that to mean the serving cell site. lol

I really need to slow down on my Evelyn Wood speed reading.  :D

Thanks for the clarification.

I played with this phone at best buy. It's so pretty lol. The screen looks amazing

Sent from my iPhone 6 on Crapatalk

It's funny, but my niece says the same thing. Must be something an iPhone user would say.  :P

but yeah it is pretty darn gorgeous. No gaps, nice curves, nice to hold, responsive to my touch and yes I am talking about the phone. lol

TS

• Like 2

I really need to slow down on my Evelyn Wood speed reading.  :D

Maybe you signed up for the Evelyn Ashford speed running course by mistake.  That could explain why you are so out of sync and your grades so bad.

:P

AJ

• Like 1