MasTec Expands Wireless Operation with Acquisition of WesTower Communications, Inc.

4GHoward

MasTec will be acquiring WesTower. I wonder if this will be beneficial for Sprint.

Source: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/mastec-expands-wireless-operation-with-acquisition-of-westower-communications-inc-2014-10-20

Oh god mastec...

Not a lot of good things to say about them..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Mastec, like all of the other contractors have more work than they can handle. It takes real skill to manage projects where everybody is using the same subcontractors. Sprint failed the project management course...

Mastec, like all of the other contractors have more work than they can handle. It takes real skill to manage projects where everybody is using the same subcontractors. Sprint failed the project management course...

Good thing sprint is now mostly using black and Veatch.

Mastec is mostly concerned with Att and Verizon.

How in the world did Sprint ever connect with Black & Veatch?  The two headquarters are only right across the street from one another in Overland Park.

;)

AJ

• Like 2

Mastec is mostly concerned with Att and Verizon.

Only Samsung NV correct?  Not sure if ALU is using them..  If Sprint had used Black and Veatch for the whole NV project from the beginning, would it been possible Sprint could have been on schedule?  This is assuming Sprint did not use them.

B&V is used for Network Vision.  As to the extent I couldn't' tell you. I remember hearing they where helping Samsung.  But, its been a while since my buddy told me any information.  

Only Samsung NV correct?  Not sure if ALU is using them..  If Sprint had used Black and Veatch for the whole NV project from the beginning, would it been possible Sprint could have been on schedule?  This is assuming Sprint did not use them.

They are primarily AT&T and Verizon. If they have crews available they will do work for Sprint, but AT&T takes priority.

They were working on a site that just got rrus a couple months ago but lte hasnt been fired up yet. Now the rrus are on the roof.

Interesting tidbit. It seems that both Mastec and WesTower were AT&T subcontractors and were severely affected by the AT&T slowdowns. Plus Westower accounts for revenues and profits by using an accounting method called "percent complete". So it may record revenue before the bill is sent to the customer and paid. So it might show revenue and profit before the money is actually deposited in the bank. For more gory details:

http://www.wirelessestimator.com/breaking_news.cfm

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

Does T-Mobile have any towers controlled by WesTower or MasTec?

Controlled?  These are contractors that perform upgrades.  Not tower owners.

Does T-Mobile have any towers controlled by WesTower or MasTec?

It has a few in North Mississippi, mostly ones co-located with Sprint. However, several sites formerly under WesTower's control moved to others over the last year or so.