Galaxy Note Edge (SMN915P)

z250kid

At this point, I've lost hope that there will be any 2x-CA devices this year. Sprint and the OEM's appear to be skipping that to go straight to 3x-CA via the SD 808/810 (w/ a Cat 6/7 modem) next year.

That headline is probably just another (silly) place to advertise how their new data buckets compare to the the duopoly's.

No.

The note 4 edge is the first cat 6 UE device that will take advantage of Sprints B41 2 B41 carrier CA (Carrier aggregation). We have a wall article on it that is in progress.  

• Like 2

There were some early rumors suggesting it would be $1000.  Which I baked at.

If the recipe and ingredients are good, I will bake at almost any price.  But, yes, I might "balk" at $1000.

;)

AJ

• Like 1

If the recipe and ingredients are good, I will bake at almost any price.  But, yes, I might "balk" at $1000.

;)

AJ

I am almost 100% certain I typed balked.  Because I didn't even do that from a smartphone or tablet.   :hmm:

I am almost 100% certain I typed balked.  Because I didn't even do that from a smartphone or tablet.   :hmm:

I doubt it, but did you "get baked" before you typed that post?

:P

AJ

• Like 2

No.

The note 4 edge is the first cat 6 UE device that will take advantage of Sprints B41 2 B41 carrier CA (Carrier aggregation). We have a wall article on it that is in progress.

Excellent! In this case, I'm happy that I'm wrong. I look forward to reading the wall article.

I still think "double your high-speed data" was a poor way to word the headline, given all the marketing talk of having "double the data" of the competition. I didn't see the term "carrier aggregation" buried anywhere in that press release. It's understandably too technical a phrase to be in the headline itself, but should've been mentioned further in.

I doubt it, but did you "get baked" before you typed that post?

:P

AJ

No, sadly I was only half baked.  :P

Read an article this morning that stated the Note Edge was suppose to be curved on both side but Samsung eventually decided to only do one side.

Article also states that the upcoming S6 will have both sides curved.

I mentioned this elsewhere but i can see one side being curved but both sides?

Other than making those that are left handed happy, I think it would

1-make the main screen smaller (and probably a smaller battery as well)

2-I can see one side with controls, but both sides would probably be overkill with functions and apps.

3-Protecting the device would be a designers nightmare. Current cases for the Note Edge allow the side to be shown, if both sides were cured, how would you protect such a device?

Things that make you go hmmm.

Regardless I would probably buy such a beast. I'm a sucker for these things.

TS

• Like 1

No.

Will this work right now, with existing B41 sites, or are configuration changes needed on the network side to enable CA ? 

Will this work right now, with existing B41 sites, or are configuration changes needed on the network side to enable CA ?

Well you need a second carrier to be present for it to work and most areas are operating one.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

No.

Actually, looking back at Note 4 fillings, seems like that one also supports 20+20MHz CA on TDD. Now, whether it's enabled by Sprint's firmware I'm not sure. The hardware is Cat 6.

WKXvp7o.png

Actually, looking back at Note 4 fillings, seems like that one also supports 20+20MHz CA on TDD. Now, whether it's enabled by Sprint's firmware I'm not sure. The hardware is Cat 6.

No.

The sprint note 4 is a cat 4 ue device that utilizes a mdm9625 modem.

6QWfXnU.png

No.

The sprint note 4 is a cat 4 ue device that utilizes a mdm9625 modem.

Is there a teardown available to confirm this? The FCC fillings confirm Cat 6 in two places. One under the UE Category, and two under the B41 CA combinations.

I also thought that ALL Tier 1 US variants are Cat 4, but after looking at all of them, only Sprint variant is clearly labeled as Cat 6. All other ones are labeled as Cat 4, with 10+10 being max aggregation combo.

*inconsistent screens removed*

• Like 1

Is there a teardown available to confirm this? The FCC fillings confirm Cat 6 in two places. One under the UE Category, and two under the B41 CA combinations.

I also thought that ALL Tier 1 US variants are Cat 4, but after looking at all of them, only Sprint variant is clearly labeled as Cat 6. All other ones are labeled as Cat 4, with 10+10 being max aggregation combo.

Sprint:

T-Mobile:

AT&T:

Verizon doesn't even have CA enabled:

See above. 

Sprints Galaxy Note 4 model is SMN910P. The 915P is the note edge. 

Ah thanks for pointing that out. My bad.

No problem. 

We were confused by the FCC docs stating it was a Cat 3 UE until we figured out that typos are common in the FCC docs and the Note 4 only comes in cat 4 or 6 flavor. 

No problem. 

We were confused by the FCC docs stating it was a Cat 3 UE until we figured out that typos are common in the FCC docs and the Note 4 only comes in cat 4 or 6 flavor. 

Yeah was just about to point out Cat 3 typo. Clearly it's a Cat 4 UE.

I still find it silly the Sprint note edge will have CAT6 CA but not the note 4. How do these things happen?

Someone wasn't paying attention to something, obviously.

And I mean lack of communication between Sprint and Samsung.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

I still find it silly the Sprint note edge will have CAT6 CA but not the note 4. How do these things happen?

Different device cycles and development teams.

It's disappointing that uplink CA is not supported at all. Given how quickly TDD LTE's uplink deteriorates at the cell edge, a doubling or tripling of speed there (i.e. 1-->3 Mbps) would I think be more noticeable to the everyday user (who is not running speedtests) than a tripling of the downlink, regardless of how cool it will be to see 200-250+ Mbps peak download speeds. Uplink CA would also be useful to have enabled for VoLTE, since voice traffic is symmetrical in nature. There will occasionally be areas around Clear-only sites, including WiMax protection sites where neither FDD LTE nor fallback to a decent 1x800 signal will be available. Those who have visited downtown Crystal Lake, IL know it is often such a spot.

They also misspelled eICIC.. hopefully (F)eICIC will be something next year's SD 808/810 devices and the network will support, along with at least 2-way uplink CA.

• Like 1

It's all in the power of that extra screen :)

Yeah as a Note 4 owner this annoys me.

I'd bet part of the reason is the limited run of Note Edges that will be created. To do cat 6, the Note Edge uses mdm9635 which Qualcomm currently probably can't ship in large numbers. The 9635 is made using a 20nm silicon fabrication processes where as the 9625 in the regular note, and the iPhone 6 is built on the older, more stable, more productive 28nm node. Basically, that Apple couldn't get Qualcomm to pump out the 9635 for them over the 9625 tells you how supply constrained the part is.

• Like 1