Karma Go

MarshieZ

Karma Go Hotspot Discussion & User Thread

karma-go-mobile-hotspot-pre-order.png?w=

Since we don't have an official spot for this little hotspot, I'd like to make one... meet the Karma Go hotspot. Running off the Sprint LTE network, the Go is a Spark/LTE Enhanced enabled, tri-band hotspot.

Currently it runs for $149. Down below in post #2 you'll find all the information that I've compiled about Go.

For anyone who has never heard of Karma, check out the Karma Go

If you'd like to purchase the Karma, PM me and I can give you my referral code for an extra $10 off your purchase!

Be sure to watch for sales to get the Go at $99 and if you add my code in, $89! 

Current Sale(s):

Not at this time... Check back soon!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So here's the break down and explanation of it all...

Information Last Updated: July 15th, 2017

• The Plans: Here are 2 plans to choose from currently and you can switch between the two plans as needed. Neverstop and Refuel was retired and is now not available:​​
    • Drift (Pay As You Go)
      • Pay for only the data you use and then get credit for any unused data.
        • $3 per month + $10 per GB used
    • Pulse (Data Buckets/Monthly Subscription)
      • Your choice of 5 data bucket tiers. (Please note that the data doesn't carry over and you will get your chosen plan allotment at the start of the billing cycle.)
        •   1 GB  |  $9.99 per month
        •   5 GB  |  $39.99 per month
        • 10 GB  |  $79.99 per month
        • 20 GB  |  $99.99 per month
        • 25 GB  |  $149.99 per month
    • Neverstop (Truly Unlimited Data) *Retired Plan as of January 2016*

• ​$50 a month for as much data as you need at a max speed of 5 Mbps upload and download speed - no fine print, no data caps 
    • Refuel (Pay As You Go) *Retired Plan as of January 2017*
      • 1   GB = $14
      • 5   GB = $59 ($11.80 per GB)
      • 10 GB = $99 ($9 per GB)

• Sharing is Caring! The data you earn/purchase NEVER expires & there are not contracts
    • Sharing for Pulse: Get a $1 credit everytime someone new connects to your hotspot.

• Tri-Band Device (Band 25, 26 & 41) & 3G fallback with over 460 U.S. cities having coverage
    • Support up to 8 simultaneous connections total 
    • Not C.A. compatible currently (Could be in the future with firmware update)
    • Karma will notify you with any major firmware updates

• Wireless Network, Battery & Unit Specs  
    • 802.11b/g/n 2.4Ghz Wireless Networking
    • Wi-Fi signal will reach on average of 100 feet
    • Maximum speeds of 54 Mbps
    • Supports LTE CAT3
    • 220 hours standby time on battery
    • 5 hours internet usage on battery (actual battery life will vary by user)
    • 1500mAh Lithium-ion Battery (embedded & non-removable by user)
    • 2.9 inches wide x 2.9 inches tall x 0.47 inches deep --- 2.3 ounces / 56 grams

• "How fast can it go?" --- Depending on the plan you choose will determine what speeds you will see. Also remember that the towers you connect to will play a factor into what speeds you'll see too! Be sure to become a sponsored member on S4GRU to see what equipment your tower is currently equipped with. You can find the Karma coverage map here. The darker green is LTE while the lighter is CDMA. The official Sprint coverage map will be the same coverage, except you'll be able to see B41 (LTE Enhanced) coverage.
    • 3G CDMA:
      • Download speeds of 0.6-1.4 Mbps with peak speeds of 3.1 Mbps
      • Upload speeds of 0.35-5 Mbps
    • 4G LTE:
      • Download speeds of 6-8 Mbps with peak speeds of 25 Mbps
      • Upload speeds of 2-3 Mbps

• "There's an app for that!" --- For both the IOS and Android operating system. You can manage everything from your account, purchasing & managing data, seeing who is connected or even power off your Karma Go directly from the app. Get your app with the links below:

You'll have to follow-up with how you like it. I've been considering getting one to replace my Sprint hotspot. We usually only use it when we travel so we have months where we never turn it on and months where I wish we had a higher data cap on our plan.

Given our sporadic usage, I figure my family would probably save money over the course of a year or two with the Karma go even though the cost per GB is considerably higher. However paying Sprint every month for a data allotment on months we don't touch the device seems kind of silly.

• Like 1

You'll have to follow-up with how you like it. I've been considering getting one to replace my Sprint hotspot. We usually only use it when we travel so we have months where we never turn it on and months where I wish we had a higher data cap on our plan.

Given our sporadic usage, I figure my family would probably save money over the course of a year or two with the Karma go even though the cost per GB is considerably higher. However paying Sprint every month for a data allotment on months we don't touch the device seems kind of silly.

I gladly will! I'll do a full review as soon as I get it at my doorstep. 

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

Firstly, I received an email regarding shipping of my hotspot last night. Unfortunately, the December ship out date won't happen, rather they will ship it out "hopefully" in January. They are making sure all the bells and whistles work, and there won't be problems out of the box.

The sad part is I know some more than likely ordered it as a Christmas present. Because of that, in the email they sent me a link to receive a free "Holiday Pack." I'm not sure what it all includes, but it certainly is a nice gesture!

Secondly, if people are still interested, they are offering the Karma Go for $50 off again for Cyber Monday. If you PM me, I can give you a referral code for an additional $10 to bring it down to $89.

Here is the link that explains the shipment date... https://blog.yourkarma.com/karma-go-shipment-update 

I'll keep updating this thread as I receive more information. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

• 1 month later...

I decided to pre-order one of these devices tonight. Thanks to Marshall for the referral code to knock $10 off the total, making the device $89.

I was just browsing around my new account on their site and discovered I completely overlooked the sharing aspect of their service. They don't seem to promote it much except in the help pages. It looks like all of their devices run open wifi with an (somewhat) unchangeable SSID that anyone can connect to, login with their Karma account, and establish a data session using their own data bank.

This may be a deal breaker for me with the service. I suspect one may need to authenticate to Karma through the browser every time the data session with the hotspot expires (I have not found with 100% certainty that's the case yet, but that would not be great when it's being used by kids) and I have a preference that my devices are within their own WPA2 protected network.

• Like 1

I decided to pre-order one of these devices tonight. Thanks to Marshall for the referral code to knock $10 off the total, making the device $89.

I was just browsing around my new account on their site and discovered I completely overlooked the sharing aspect of their service. They don't seem to promote it much except in the help pages. It looks like all of their devices run open wifi with an (somewhat) unchangeable SSID that anyone can connect to, login with their Karma account, and establish a data session using their own data bank.

This may be a deal breaker for me with the service. I suspect one may need to authenticate to Karma through the browser every time the data session with the hotspot expires (I have not found with 100% certainty that's the case yet, but that would not be great when it's being used by kids) and I have a preference that my devices are within their own WPA2 protected network.

I'm not exactly sure how you authenticate and connect either. You could message Karma on Facebook, they have great and quick customer service and sure they could give you an answer.  :)

Updated original post with detailed breakdown and merged some things together...

Also found a great in-vehicle holder on eBay for about $5 that will hold the Karma perfectly: http://www.ebay.com/ 

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: The "more official" ship date is now April 10th.

The push off was partially due to the fact they realized that the hotspot didn't have enough memory. So now after added memory and new dates to get it passed through the FCC, the feel quite comfortable with April 10th.

You can read the update on their blog here.

• 2 months later...

Haven't updated this is awhile!

KarmaGo is still on track to ship April 10th. Cannot wait to finally have it in hand! (Seeing as it was pre-ordered back in October and was "supposed to be" one of my Christmas presents)

Oh well... At least now with a decent amount of B41 deployed around here, it be impressive unlike using it on just B25/26.

Anyway, 24 days!  :)

Aren't unlimited Sprint hotspot plans limited to corporate liable accounts with a credit union?

Not only CL accounts that are credit union accounts qualify. There are many programs available, I am currently helping my employees and contractors get service. see contractors.4gantennashop.com

• Like 1

Not only CL accounts that are credit union accounts qualify. There are many programs available, I am currently helping my employees and contractors get service. see contractors.4gantennashop.com

I read through that a little while ago. Did you set up your own MVNO or something?

I read through that a little while ago. Did you set up your own MVNO or something?

I am exploring my options, But I solely want to focus on data products and Sprint Wholesale is not really geared towards that build out which is why I have added T-Mobile to my list of possibilities and I am trying some unlimited data products on both carriers. We will see who wins this MVNO consideration. I like the Sprint build out so far, really great to capture all those CLEAR customers that will be left in the dark in the next 6 months when WiMax goes lights off.

Robert

• Like 1

Why buy this? What is the advantage vs my unlimited Sprint data plans for hotspots?

Because for me, I can take this along when I'm working and not only have a quick backup but provide data to others and NOT have to pay for what they use. I can also earn data for every person who uses it. So in reality I'm not really am going to be paying heaps and mounds of money for this thing which I'm sure an unlimited plan would be.

For me, it has it's benefits hence the reason why I wanted it. And the KarmaGo hit what I needed to achieve with it. I don't need unlimited and I'm not always going to be using it in that way, so why over pay for what I'm not going to use?

Now if we're talking about replacing my 3G Sierra USB modem for home use with your unlimited plan and a Netgear Router, than yes this would be dumb to do.  ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm interested in your experiences with the Hotspot. I'm taking the family down to Florida for a week this summer and have 2 wifi-only iPads. I have a triband phone, but don't feel like paying for the per-gb add-on to my account.

• Like 1

I'm interested in your experiences with the Hotspot. I'm taking the family down to Florida for a week this summer and have 2 wifi-only iPads. I have a triband phone, but don't feel like paying for the per-gb add-on to my account.

Well, I like the concept of it... BUT I haven't received it yet.

The "start shipping date" was April 10th, but as they were testing, they hit a snag with other parties holding them up. So now were looking at May, with probably having it in my hand late May/early June.

So... if you decide to get one, I can still give you the referral code for $10 off, but the price is up to $149 again. And depending upon when your travels are, you might not get it until June or July since pre-orders are done. 

Since I too was planning on having it for summer for my job... I'm kind of scrambling to figure out what I'm going to do in the meantime.

This may be one cheap option...

For about the same price INCLUDING data, I was looking at Boost Mobile.

If you were to purchase the Samsung Galaxy Prevail (Retail price of $129.99, at Best Buy typically for $89.99), use the daily unlimited plan for $3.

Then set yourself up with the mobile hotspot on it for the monthly hotspot plan of either $5 for 1GB or $10 for 2GB.

Now, if you didn't have to have the daily plan on it and you could only activate the hotspot feature on it (which I don't know if you can or can't do) this would make a far more cost effective setup than Karma. With a phone that has almost x3 times more battery life (14 hours for Galaxy, 5 hours for Karma), a removable battery on the Prevail over a non-removable on the Karma... it actually might be better.

But what I did like was that I'd earn free data, and in the setting I'd be using it in, I'd have quite a few people connecting to it in certain situations. Essentially me never having to buy data for it...

So as of right now, I'm torn. I may return the Karma and go with the above option if I'm in desperate need. It would be cool to find a S5 to do the above option and have it to do more mapping/tower finding instead of killing my G3 battery.

I pre-ordered the Karma Go back in October I have been waiting for 7 months, now at least 1 more month? Ugh...

I do understand why they have to keep pushing off the dates... part of it is not their fault. But it is their fault for getting the average consumer hyped up to expect something that had the possibility of not hitting a shipment date. The average person couldn't care less what's going on to make their hotspot, they just want it. So they don't understand the testing, the certifications and what not...  <_<

A.K.A. the cool parts... 

Because I too, ordered mine in October and now have been told 3 different shipment dates.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Forgot to post the latest update from Karma:

https://blog.yourkarma.com/karma-go-on-track-for-may

We're on the home stretch! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally...

https://blog.yourkarma.com/karma-go-may-update

It has now been 7 months since I pre-ordered it, and there have been many times already I've would have loved to have it while working. Thankfully by the next time I'll need it, I actually have it.

I'm glad they finally released another update, people - like myself - were getting antsy. Only difference, I understand what they mean with the issues. I'm sure others couldn't care less.

Once again, they want it now and couldn't give a damn how it gets there... which really is sad. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Update as of June 11th...

https://blog.yourkarma.com/karma-go-passing-little-tests

Great to hear they're moving forward without complications. Typically I'm not one to read comments on sites like these (as we all know there are misinformed, unaware people and trolls) but I have to agree with a few who have mentioned it.

For the people who pre-ordered from December 31st, 2014 and back, it would be a nice "thank you for waiting" present if they were to throw in free data. However, for the cost could they afford it?

I think saw somewhere that they passed 250k units pre-ordered. Now lets assume at least 150k were pre-ordered from last year. We all know that actual cost per GB could be anything, but now multiply that number by however many were pre-ordered in 2014.

That's a pretty big chunk of money. Just a thought, but it would be nice if they were to give a little something for being promised that we'd get it for Christmas. By the time most people will actually get it, this year will already be half over...