Apple event Oct 16th, new iPads likely

nobius

Is there a comparison chart out there anywhere with the various types of tablet data plans for a la carte use? Doesn't T-Mobile offer 200MB free for life on new tablets? 

I said this before, I don't think Sprint is going to continue with "Tablet" Plans... The Idea is just to have everyone use the Family share algorithms even for a 1 line iPad, going forward. So what you see for Family share are pretty much your tablet plans.  

I said this before, I don't think Sprint is going to continue with "Tablet" Plans... The Idea is just to have everyone use the Family share algorithms even for a 1 line iPad, going forward. So what you see for Family share are pretty much your tablet plans.

There may be some truth to part of what you are saying. As of Tuesday, I can no longer make any modifications to my iPad on my account online. I can't add tethering, and can't change the plan. It says my device is not supported.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Fortunately, Sprint isn't doing this....

Leave it to AT&T to do what they always do... "SIM becomes dedicated".... That's a nice way of saying SIM becomes "locked".

----

AT&T Locking Apple Interchangeable SIMs in iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/24/att-apple-sim/

"According to user reports in the MacRumors forums and on Twitter, however, AT&T is not supporting this interchangeability and is locking the SIM included with cellular models of the iPad Air 2 and Retina iPad mini 3 after it is used with an AT&T plan."

AT&T appears to be the only participating carrier that is locking the Apple SIM to its network. T-Mobile's John Legere has indicated that T-Mobile's process does not lock a customer in to T-Mobile, which appears to be confirmed by Apple's support document, and Sprint's process also seems to leave the Apple SIM unlocked and able to be used with other carrier plans. Verizon, the fourth major carrier in the United States, did not opt to allow the Apple SIM to work with its network.

------

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6499

Choose a cellular data plan with your Apple SIM installed

Apple SIM gives you the flexibility to choose from a variety of short and long term cellular data plans from select carriers, right from your iPad Air 2 or iPad mini 3. The carriers you can choose vary by country, whether you've purchased your iPad from a carrier retail location, and whether you've already previously signed up for a cellular data plan.

Countries where Apple SIM is supported

Apple SIM is currently available in the United States and the United Kingdom.  Our US carrier partners include AT&T, Sprint, & T-Mobile, and in UK our initial partner is EE.

Type of store you purchase your iPad from

If you purchase your iPad Air 2 or iPad mini 3 from a carrier retail location, your Apple SIM will only be compatible with that carrier's program. If you purchase your iPad Air or iPad mini 3 from an Apple Retail, Apple On-line store, or a reseller within countries where Apple SIM is supported, you'll have all participating carriers to choose from.

• Apple Online Store: All supported carriers in that country
  • Apple Retail Store: All supported carriers in that country
  • Reseller: All supported carriers in that country
  • Participating carrier store: Only the carrier from that carrier store

Note: Sprint Stores will only carry iPads with legacy Sprint SIM cards (not Apple SIM cards).

Which carrier you pick first

Using Apple SIM, you can choose from different cellular carriers and their various programs. The data plans vary by carrier. For instance, in the United States, you can choose a domestic plan from either Sprint or T-Mobile and also pick an alternate plan from the other carrier as needed. When you choose AT&T on iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3, AT&T dedicates Apple SIM to their network only.

If your Apple SIM becomes dedicated to a specific network and you want to choose from other carrier programs, you can purchase a new Apple SIM from an Apple Retail store.

-----

Come on over AT&T people... we have Spark (on the iPad Air 2 anyway), and you deserve better than this kind of BS treatment.

Edited by ipplanman
  • Like 3

Apparently it also has a NFC Chip that's not enabled now (but could be later via a Software Update). I've read speculation that it's for businesses who want to use their iPads as cash registers and still accept Apple Pay.

I believe the chip is required for Pay, in general, which both the Air 2 and mini 3 support in apps and on the web (just not physical, contact less).

There may be some truth to part of what you are saying. As of Tuesday, I can no longer make any modifications to my iPad on my account online. I can't add tethering, and can't change the plan. It says my device is not supported.

I can still change the plan and add tethering on my Galaxy Tab 3. I wonder if it is an issue related to your specific tablet.

I can still change the plan and add tethering on my Galaxy Tab 3. I wonder if it is an issue related to your specific tablet.

Or my account

That's certainly a possibility. I only mentioned the tablet because you said the error message referenced your device not being supported.

I will say it was working fine until the day I got my iPhone 6+. I'll have to look into it with Sprint CS.

I can see why the Ipads sold from carrier may be locked down, this case ATT. They lock them down because it cost them money to store the device on their shelves, Pay commission to a Sales Rep. They lock these down to keep a person from coming in, buying one of these that maybe is out of stock everywhere else in town, and taking it to Sprint or ATT, then running the risk of the next person not getting one that makes the company money. 

I can see why the Ipads sold from carrier may be locked down, this case ATT. They lock them down because it cost them money to store the device on their shelves, Pay commission to a Sales Rep. They lock these down to keep a person from coming in, buying one of these that maybe is out of stock everywhere else in town, and taking it to Sprint or ATT, then running the risk of the next person not getting one that makes the company money.

Very valid points... Verizon is swimming against the current here -- the only place you can buy a VZW iPad is a Verizon store or the Apple Store.

AT&T is coming out of this looking like scumbags.

• Like 1

Very valid points... Verizon is swimming against the current here -- the only place you can buy a VZW iPad is a Verizon store or the Apple Store.

AT&T is coming out of this looking like scumbags.

Walmart best buy and Target may carry verizon variants. We (target) carries the verison Ipad air 33(whoops 32GB) GB model. Should carry the verizon ipad air 2 as well. But many people forget theae are companies which have to earn money. I even thought it was fishy but my points made it less of a bad att move and a smart att business move.

We (target) carries the verison Ipad air 33 GB model.

Target must be a glutton for accuracy.

When will the 47 GB venison model be available?

AJ

• Like 3

Just got my iPA2!  Now restoring from iCloud.

When I got it from the Apple Store locally, I got them to give me a spare AT&T sim card so I won't have to worry about my Apple sim getting carrier-locked.

• Like 2

Anybody tried plugging an Apple Sim into last years iPad models (Air or Mini w/Retina)? I had to argue with every genius in the local Apple Store just to sell me an Apple SIM so I could test it in my Mini w/Retina but once I finally got my hands on it I'm only getting an Invalid SIM error. I realize that all the info says the Apple SIM is only compatible with the new models, but I'm thinking its a software lockdown and I'd be curious to see what would happen if an "activated" Apple SIM got plugged into last year's model.

Just got my iPA2!  Now restoring from iCloud.

When I got it from the Apple Store locally, I got them to give me a spare AT&T sim card so I won't have to worry about my Apple sim getting carrier-locked.

What did you upgrade from? And, how do you like it so far? :)

What did you upgrade from? And, how do you like it so far? :)

Upgraded from the iPad Air.  Really like it so far, but I haven't used it too much since I went hunting this weekend. 

My iPad Air still has amazing battery life. I'm on the fence about upgrading to the Air 2, or skipping a generation.

Battery life on the Air 2 is a little worse than the Air. Everything feels "snappier" on the Air 2, though, since apps are kept in RAM much longer. Haven't noticed the effects of the anti-glare screen yet since I mainly use my iPad indoors. Overall solid upgrade except for the battery life.

From the "learn something new every day" department, I found out that the bottom row of home screen icons on the iPA2 could take six apps until yesterday when I found out by accident.  

Cool! I actually wrote to Marcelo's executive team to suggest they offer this a while back!

Sprint Announces iPad for Life Plan, Exclusive Offer for iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-announces-ipad-for-life-plan-exclusive-offer-for-ipad-air-2-and-ipad-mini-3.htm

The iPad Air 2 (16GB) will be available for only $20 per month for 24 months and the iPad Mini 3 for $17 per month for 24 months (excluding taxes and fees).

Higher capacities of each model are available for additional cost:

• $24 per month for iPad Air 2 64GB, $28 per month for iPad Air 2 128GB
  • $21 per month for iPad Mini 3 64GB, $25 per month for iPad Mini 3 128GB

At the end of the lease agreement, customers in good standing currently have the following options to continue service:

• Turn in the current leased device and lease another device with zero down at signing
  • Purchase the leased iPad Air 2 or iPad Mini 3
  • Continue leasing on a month-to-month basis

Or, when the lease ends the customer has the option to return the device in good working condition and terminate service

Sprint is waiving the $10/month access charge for tablets on the Family Share Pack through 2015. Sprint's stand-alone tablet plans are still offered. Doesn't look like those were tweaked much: 100MB of data for $10; other tablet data plans include 1GB for $15; 3GB for $35; 6GB for $50; 12GB for $80; and 30GB for $110

Go Sprint Go!

• Like 2