Sharp AQUOS Crystal User Thread

COZisBack

So I found out my mom is returning her crystal because she has had a couple issues with it. She can't connect her bluetooth to it and also when she is on the phone apparently it is real quiet on both ends. She can barely hear people and vice versa. It's a nice looking phone, but if she is having issues with call quality, I completely understand. Too bad. I would love to see more phones like this.

My sound volume is great with WiFi calling, CDMA calling and Hangouts calling. Sounds like she has a bummer unit. :td:

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So I found out my mom is returning her crystal because she has had a couple issues with it. She can't connect her bluetooth to it and also when she is on the phone apparently it is real quiet on both ends. She can barely hear people and vice versa. It's a nice looking phone, but if she is having issues with call quality, I completely understand. Too bad. I would love to see more phones like this.

This is obviously a defective unit - see if she can exchange it before you write it off completely! 

This is obviously a defective unit - see if she can exchange it before you write it off completely! 

Trust me, I've tried to convince her to try another one but she is already sick of it. She is one who hates change and if something doesn't work the first time that is it. It is a real challenge to change her mind. 

If it were me I would exchange it and try another unit before getting a different phone.

Trust me, I've tried to convince her to try another one but she is already sick of it. She is one who hates change and if something doesn't work the first time that is it. It is a real challenge to change her mind. 

If it were me I would exchange it and try another unit before getting a different phone.

I know exactly what you're talking about... :zip:  on to the next device! 

• Like 1

So what's she going with instead?

Is your mom also my dad?

• Like 1

So what's she going with instead?

I believe she is going with the S4 unless I can talk her into trying a new crystal first. I mean the guy at Sprint did drop the phone so maybe he broke it....

Is your mom also my dad?

No comment  :zip:

• Like 1

Just activated this thing. I really like it! The Nexus was slightly snappier as far as typing was concerned, but this isn't gonna be my daily driver. Hope the keyboard speed increases as the phone settles... right now it kind of lags. 

I do not see Wi-Fi calling on the Boost version of this phone... so that's a bummer, unless I'm looking in the wrong place. 

Once it activated, a ton of bloatware pushed to it, but I was able to uninstall most of it. 

Signalcheck works great it seems. Call quality is excellent. When comparing call quality between my iPhone 6, the Aquos makes the other party sound "farther away" through the earpiece. It's slight, but voice through the iPhone sounds "right there," while it sounds like someone is talking through a pane of glass on the Aquos. (Probably because they are, ha!)

Yeah, this phone definitely needs a software update to address the poor keyboard performance. If you type too fast, it just skips letters and requires backspacing. It's bad, and I hope that it is purely software related, not just a cheap digitizer or something.

Yeah, this phone definitely needs a software update to address the poor keyboard performance. If you type too fast, it just skips letters and requires backspacing. It's bad, and I hope that it is purely software related, not just a cheap digitizer or something.

Have you tried a different keyboard?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Well that is depressing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Very. I'm curious what Robert's findings on this are with his Aquos compared to the Nexus 5. I had a Nexus 5 prior to this and it was beautiful to type on, just like an iPhone. 

This thing is running 4.4.2 still.... I really hope Sharp updates it at least once before it goes EOL!

• Like 1

I had to change keyboards. It's the dang swift key attempts on the keyboard that kept driving me nuts. Running JellyBean keyboard, and no longer having the keyboard issues of slow/delayed typing.

• Like 3

hmmm seems that Sharp has started something. The edge to edge display is here to stay or at the very leasst made others take notice..

LG just announced5.3 inch 1080p smartphone display with 0.7mm ultra narrow bezel. Probably will go in a future phone next year. 

IMHO, As long as they leave room for the front facing camera and dual (or quad) speakers, then bring on the edge to edge designs.

TS

• Like 1

I was afraid with the bezel-less display that my hands would cause all kinds of typing problems. I have had problems with some devices with normal smartphones where my big fat hands would cause problems on the sides of the device causing typing errors and mistypes. I thought this would be exaggerated worse with a bezel-less display. But it hasn't. Me and my big fat hands.

• Like 1

Rumor has it that the oil/grease from fried chicken stops any display from registering your fingers touch on any display. Maybe that is what is happening here.

:P

TS out (to a bunker to hide from Robert)

LOL. :lol:

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I was afraid with the bezel-less display that my hands would cause all kinds of typing problems. I have had problems with some devices with normal smartphones where my big fat hands would cause problems on the sides of the device causing typing errors and mistypes. I thought this would be exaggerated worse with a bezel-less display. But it hasn't. Me and my big fat hands.

Do you use a case?

If so, does it block the edges?

hmmm seems that Sharp has started something. The edge to edge display is here to stay or at the very leasst made others take notice..

LG just announced5.3 inch 1080p smartphone display with 0.7mm ultra narrow bezel. Probably will go in a future phone next year. 

IMHO, As long as they leave room for the front facing camera and dual (or quad) speakers, then bring on the edge to edge designs.

TS

You peaked my interest. I can get a new phone whenever I want, just waiting for something good  :drool:

Just sent mine back. After iOS was jailbroken, Signal 2 made it easier for me to check LTE bands at a glance on my iPhone and I didn't need the Aquos anymore. 

That, and phone calls in noisy areas were difficult. I had to press the phone very very hard against my ear in order to hear the other party speaking. 

The speakerless earpiece is a good proof of concept but it isn't ready for primetime, in my opinion. 

Just sent mine back. After iOS was jailbroken, Signal 2 made it easier for me to check LTE bands at a glance on my iPhone and I didn't need the Aquos anymore.

That, and phone calls in noisy areas were difficult. I had to press the phone very very hard against my ear in order to hear the other party speaking.

The speakerless earpiece is a good proof of concept but it isn't ready for primetime, in my opinion.

I would like it to be a little louder. But I found putting my ear in a lower spot on the screen works much better. Putting my ear at the top of the screen did not result in what I was looking for. I think the speaker behind the screen is quite a bit farther from the top than normal.

Also, WiFi calls are much louder and clearer than CDMA calls for some reason.

• Like 1