Samsung Galaxy Note 4 User Thread

COZisBack

New issue started today.  I fear it is a hardware problem.  I can't keep a stable LTE connection.  Using Signal Checker my LTE signal is still great and should be fine to stay on it, but whenever I turn on the phone, toggle airplane mode etc... It will keep an active LTE connection for about one minute.  I start a streaming music app to see if I can keep the connection going, but it does not keep going.  After about a minute the LTE and Spark icon go gray and then the app buffers because it has no signal then it reverts to 3G.  Happens every time.  Called customer care and they say there is no outages in my area.  I have not tried at home yet but at work it doesn't keep a LTE signal.  I am in the Atlanta area.  They are supposed to have a technician call me in 72 hours to see if I still have an issue.

I'm outside the 15 day return window for Best Buy, so I'm not sure they will exchange the phone for a new one.  I have tried updating profile and PRL, they sent a refresh from Sprint's end also and it did not fix it.  

Any thought?

The only thing I have not done yet is factory reset.  I may do that tomorrow if I still am having issues.

Edited by troyd96

New issue started today. I fear it is a hardware problem. I can't keep a stable LTE connection. Using Signal Checker my LTE signal is still great and should be fine to stay on it, but whenever I turn on the phone, toggle airplane mode etc... It will keep an active LTE connection for about one minute. I start a streaming music app to see if I can keep the connection going, but it does not keep going. After about a minute the LTE and Spark icon go gray and then the app buffers because it has no signal then it reverts to 3G. Happens every time. Called customer care and they say there is no outages in my area. I have not tried at home yet but at work it doesn't keep a LTE signal. I am in the Atlanta area. They are supposed to have a technician call me in 72 hours to see if I still have an issue.

I'm outside the 15 day return window for Best Buy, so I'm not sure they will exchange the phone for a new one. I have tried updating profile and PRL, they sent a refresh from Sprint's end also and it did not fix it.

Any thought?

The only thing I have not done yet is factory reset. I may do that tomorrow if I still am having issues.

Can you post screen shots of engineering screen?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Has anyone noticed how well the WiFi radio performs? I can get 60/12 in my basement now (router is on 2nd floor) on m uh 5ghz network which on my gn2 was more like 5/1 oh and I'm on Comcast 50/10 plan using a Asus router. Very happy with thus improvement!

New issue started today. I fear it is a hardware problem. I can't keep a stable LTE connection. Using Signal Checker my LTE signal is still great and should be fine to stay on it, but whenever I turn on the phone, toggle airplane mode etc... It will keep an active LTE connection for about one minute. I start a streaming music app to see if I can keep the connection going, but it does not keep going. After about a minute the LTE and Spark icon go gray and then the app buffers because it has no signal then it reverts to 3G. Happens every time. Called customer care and they say there is no outages in my area. I have not tried at home yet but at work it doesn't keep a LTE signal. I am in the Atlanta area. They are supposed to have a technician call me in 72 hours to see if I still have an issue.

I'm outside the 15 day return window for Best Buy, so I'm not sure they will exchange the phone for a new one. I have tried updating profile and PRL, they sent a refresh from Sprint's end also and it did not fix it.

Any thought?

The only thing I have not done yet is factory reset. I may do that tomorrow if I still am having issues.

That's like the issue I'm having too. Although if I keep the connection active by streaming a video or music, the connection stays active for as long as it keeps streaming. but if it goes idle with no activity it drops to 3g..sometimes it has problems staying connected to 3g also!

I'd agree with both of you the cellular performance is not been impressive so far. Hopefully it's a software issue that can be fixed/improved via update

Can you post screen shots of engineering screen?

Here you go the 13:42:24 image is when I am connecting and getting an active connection with LTE. Where I'm at now I usually always get Band 26 and get signal levels from -92dbm to -104dbm  which is perfectly fine to stream music and do other activities on my phone in LTE.  

The 13:43:01 image is when the LTE and spark icon go gray and thought it might be useful.  It says the signal is -140dbm all of a sudden.  I didn't touch the phone or location of the phone when it does this.  Then it reverts to 3G.

I even went and changed the priorities of the LTE bands to 1st: 41, 2nd: 25, 3rd: 26 and it won't keep a LTE no matter what band I'm on.

Needless to say this is killing my battery on this phone.  

post-1713-0-89375500-1415213181_thumb.png

post-1713-0-19713000-1415213183_thumb.png

That's like the issue I'm having too. Although if I keep the connection active by streaming a video or music, the connection stays active for as long as it keeps streaming. but if it goes idle with no activity it drops to 3g..sometimes it has problems staying connected to 3g also!

You are lucky then, cause it doesn't matter what I do to try to keep it connected it just drops after about a minute.  This just started happening today, so I fear it is a faulty piece of hardware which means I will have to send it to Samsung and be without a phone for several days.

Yeah you may need to contact Samsung. That seems very strange though I'm no expert by any means. Have you looked on xda to see if there is anyone having similar issues?

Yeah you may need to contact Samsung. That seems very strange though I'm no expert by any means. Have you looked on xda to see if there is anyone having similar issues?

Haven't seen anything on XDA yet, but being that Sprint hasn't put all bands in all markets yet I would take someone having issues in the Sprint Note 4 forum with a grain of salt since most don't even talk about dbm's just that it goes back and forth from 3G to LTE which described the issue on my S3 when they were still in the infancy of LTE.

Here you go the 13:42:24 image is when I am connecting and getting an active connection with LTE. Where I'm at now I usually always get Band 26 and get signal levels from -92dbm to -104dbm which is perfectly fine to stream music and do other activities on my phone in LTE.

The 13:43:01 image is when the LTE and spark icon go gray and thought it might be useful. It says the signal is -140dbm all of a sudden. I didn't touch the phone or location of the phone when it does this. Then it reverts to 3G.

I even went and changed the priorities of the LTE bands to 1st: 41, 2nd: 25, 3rd: 26 and it won't keep a LTE no matter what band I'm on.

Needless to say this is killing my battery on this phone.

I know.. It makes little difference since the network puts you on whatever band it wants, but you can change the LTE band initial scan priority on the N4? Where?

I know.. It makes little difference since the network puts you on whatever band it wants, but you can change the LTE band initial scan priority on the N4? Where?

##DATA#... enter MSL code then click edit>>>>LTE>>>LTE Priority

Well after that minor mishap this morning I mentioned earlier, the afternoon went well signal wise and also in my home neighborhood tonight. I did drive by the 3 towers near my work and didn't see anyone working. So I'll take it as a fluke. If it happens again, I'll report it.

TS 

Ok so my issue resolved itself. I was having issues even near home. My wife was having similar issues then all of a sudden it just started working again on its on. So I'm gonna chalk it up to network issues.

Too bad I factory reset before it resolved itself.

Edited by troyd96

Ok, having twrp recovery issue (rooted).

In recovery and trying to perform nandroid backup.... One I go to backup, the phone just reboot back into recovery without doing a backup.

Any suggestions.

That happened once on a previous device, seems like a faulty twrp install. See if you can re-install twrp. Also as simple as it may seem, make sure the backup is set to backup to Micro SDcard that has sufficient space and not Internal Storage. 

TS

That happened once on a previous device, seems like a faulty twrp install. See if you can re-install twrp. Also as simple as it may seem, make sure the backup is set to backup to Micro SDcard that has sufficient space and not Internal Storage.

TS

I've tried internal and external, near 30 gb free on external and 20 gb internal.

Updated twrp version to latest.... Ugh

I've read on xda, another guy had this and wiped phone by unroot and rooted again, working fine with backups.

Sending twrp my logs after crash now!

Fingers crossed!

I found a way to flash a PRL. I was able to successfully load older prl that are withing the same series. I used DFS CDMA TOOL v. 14.10.21.0.
1. Turn off wifi and data on the phone.
2. press ##3424# on phone.
3. Qualcomm usb setting
4. Select RMNET+DM+MODEM.
5. ON DFS Click on port on and select the port your phone is displayed. 
6. Enter your MSL right below.
7. Once you enter the MSL click the SPC icon. 
8. Next click on NAM.
9. On the bottom right hand corner click Load and select the PRL you want and click WRITE.
10. Return to ##3424#, Qualcomm usb setting, select MTP and Restart.
11. Enable your wifi and data.

• Like 3

I need help with wifi calling. I am abroad right now. And i have activated wifi calling on my account and have it correctly setup on my phone. I wven have the handset and signal level icon on left top of the screen. Whenever i try to make a call, as soon as click on dial button, call screen turns orange and "wifi call ended".

Any suggestion on how to get this to work?

Thanks in advance.