Samsung Galaxy Note 4 User Thread

COZisBack

If anyone is still having issues with random reboots, I seemed to have fixed the problem with a factory reset. I finally had the time to do it this evening and my phone has not rebooted once since. Yesterday, my phone rebooted around 10 times at random times and I finally had enough of it. I'll post back if I start having problems again, but hopefully that fixed the problem for good.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I had the same problem 2 weeks ago, it was a hardware memory failure according to the sprint tech. Got a replacement and everything is fine now

If anyone is still having issues with random reboots, I seemed to have fixed the problem with a factory reset. I finally had the time to do it this evening and my phone has not rebooted once since. Yesterday, my phone rebooted around 10 times at random times and I finally had enough of it. I'll post back if I start having problems again, but hopefully that fixed the problem for good.

Factory reset may or may not fix it. If it's a software problem it probably will, but if it's a hardware failure it won't.  Mine kept doing it after several factory resets.  Pretty much chalked it up to failing hardware somewhere inside the phone.  Probably either the internal storage or the ram was starting to fail.  The replacement phone I received hasn't shown any of those problems.  

Anyone else having an issue where the phone is slow to accept the swipe to unlock?  Seems like the phone is taking its time "waking up"  I wonder if that's an issue with the doze mode or what.  It seems right after you turn the screen on there's an animation making the phone sluggish for a moment.  Any way to turn that off?

-- Seems to be better now after clearing cache in factory menu --

Factory reset may or may not fix it. If it's a software problem it probably will, but if it's a hardware failure it won't. Mine kept doing it after several factory resets. Pretty much chalked it up to failing hardware somewhere inside the phone. Probably either the internal storage or the ram was starting to fail. The replacement phone I received hasn't shown any of those problems.

Doesn't it seem weird that it's happening to a bunch of people after a software update? It would seem to me that it's a software issue, not a hardware issue.

My phone has rebooted itself once since I did the factory reset yesterday. I guess I'll keep using it for awhile to see how it goes. I hate to have to pay for a replacement device. I don't have TEP so someone earlier said it would be $75. I could probably also use my 3rd party warranty, but the replacement cost through them would be even more.

• Like 1

Doesn't it seem weird that it's happening to a bunch of people after a software update? It would seem to me that it's a software issue, not a hardware issue.

My phone has rebooted itself once since I did the factory reset yesterday. I guess I'll keep using it for awhile to see how it goes. I hate to have to pay for a replacement device. I don't have TEP so someone earlier said it would be $75. I could probably also use my 3rd party warranty, but the replacement cost through them would be even more.

Didn't say it's one or the other. Yours might very well be faulty software. Mine was not. I think the marshmallow update was just the last straw. I always had problems with mine freezing and re-locking itself randomly.  So I wonder if those were just early signs of failure.  I hope yours continues without issue.  So far my replacement has worked fine.  

And yes, $75 is what I was charged at my local shop to replace the phone. Although they did make sit there until I got the phone to reboot.  They wouldn't order a replacement otherwise.  I don't do TEP.  Instead I was putting the $11 I would have paid into a savings account each month.  After 10 months of having the phone I actually came out ahead.  

• 2 weeks later...

New software update. States just security but we'll see. Hopefully fixes some bugs too.

I'm hoping it fixes the restart bug. I just installed it. We'll see what happens.

I'm now going about 16 hours without an unexpected reboot. I did a phone reprovision using ##72786# and it went through the process and the phone has been OK so far. I'll report back later to see if it kept working or not.

I'm now going about 16 hours without an unexpected reboot. I did a phone reprovision using ##72786# and it went through the process and the phone has been OK so far. I'll report back later to see if it kept working or not.

Question for you. Do you encrypt your Note 4? Mine did a soft reboot yesterday and I've trying to figure out if maybe the encryption is part of problem. But I don't want to wipe my phone again just to unencrypt it. 

Since 11am PDT my note4 has been trying to get me to install Samsung Gear at about 145mb.  I don't have SG and probably won't get it, but my phone keeps bugging me...

Just now it started making odd wah-wah noises and provides a printed message saying to install the software!  I can't seem to get it to acknowledge I don't want it.  I guess I'll have to install.

Oh- says Samsung Gear VR.  Eight programs including two Oculus programs.  Sorry, 128.48mb.

Now it's saying I'm supposed to create an Oculus acct., I have no need.

It also said that there was a "power sharing" app that I had to get from the Samsung App Store that it has just loaded onto my device that if I don't use 'just right' will drain my battery IMMEDIATELY...  Scary stuff.  Not loading that if I can avoid it.

I don't have any of this Gear, why should I be messing with these scary Galaxy apps?

This rom was smooth in the beginning but now has become laggy like the prior version. Also have a stuck alarm icon that wont go away. I can clear the clock data and it'll go away only to come back once the service is started. I even deleted all my alarms

EDIT: alarm icon was from todoreminder

• 3 weeks later...

If you're experiencing random rebooting or powering down, try this:

With battery at 100% type *#0BAT# (that's a zero) in the dial pad.

Unplug phone and then click on "quick test" and the screen will shut off and come back on

If battery shows 100% after the test then you're good to go.

This re calibrates the battery which the new updates messed up. 90 percent of power cycling Note 4's I've seen come into my work has been fixed this way and it doesn't require a hard reset to complete!

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

If you're experiencing random rebooting or powering down, try this:

With battery at 100% type *#0BAT# (that's a zero) in the dial pad.

Unplug phone and then click on "quick test" and the screen will shut off and come back on

If battery shows 100% after the test then you're good to go.

This re calibrates the battery which the new updates messed up. 90 percent of power cycling Note 4's I've seen come into my work has been fixed this way and it doesn't require a hard reset to complete!

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 3 batteries. Do I need to do this with all three batteries?

Just once with any battery you have. Preferably a Samsung branded battery

I did it last night. So far so good, but sometimes it would go a day or two with not rebooting itself, then reboot 4 or 5 times in a row. I'll report back after a few days. Hopefully this is the fix though.

• Like 1

I never had a problem with random reboots. But i had a problem with the battery dying at 30%, and it was the battery that its life shortened so i bought a new samsung battery and its fine since then.

If you guys have random reboots then you guys should reinstall the software, it could be the system got corrupted. If you guys know how to. If you dont i could help out just PM me. I could link you guys the program and the software but itll erase everything on the phone except the microSD card.

Sometimes factory reset on the phone dont work as well because it uses the same system files and formats the data partition. So it is always good to have the files on the computer to reinstall the factory system.

Sometimes it could be a hardware problem but its best to reinstall the software first rather than factory reset on the phone and assume its hardware.

Also getting replacements from insurance gives refurbished phones which sometimes have problems in their hardware already lol