Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

36 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

...so with this sort of thinking, it will not truly help Sprint's user numbers (user lines) .   ARPU  (Average revenue per user) as it's known, will be cut in nearly half if this sort of thinking holds true... which is why I doubt Sprint will count as "users".  Millions of magic boxes are or will be deployed with no addition revenue source.  I guess I fail to see what the intent of the thinking on your part and swintec's as to how this will positively affect Sprint "lines"??     Trying to figure out the thinking process here... I'm not following it....

If you look at the other posts above, you will see, Sprint simply needs to link a box to a user and they are using account numbers... appears one Magic Box per account number is allowed.   If you want a 2nd box, you need to link it to a different number/account.   Don't know where "Padding the numbers" came to be?? 

As said, they add a phone number to these so it is a "line" and the necessary phone line charges / taxes for your local area are added to it.  it has been this way ever since the airave came out years ago.  i believe one user had his account maxed out on "lines" and that is why they could not add a MB to his account because there was no open lines available and he had to get approved for more.  so that is why i am thinking this will allow them to pad the # of lines they have...if its taxed like a line and treated like a line...then it must be a line.

ARPU aside, why wouldnt it help their figures for total # of lines?  if you have 40 million lines before the MB and now there is 1.5 million MBs in service any carrier would love to trot out "we added 1.5 million lines this past quarter" or even better, when they continually add MBs every quarter they can say we added X number of lines this past quarter.  it just looks good on paper.

48 minutes ago, jonathanm1978 said:

It's given a line on an account. I know this because I already had a magic box, on my residential account, and I requested a magic box for business location.

i have two MBs on my account currently.  Most likely a mistake but they are there, two separate phone numbers, two separate lines and i have two MBs sitting in my office as we speak, so it can be done.  Neither of them work due to my area but they are here waiting to be shipped back.

It has an LTE radio, so that requires a sim card to authenticate on the network. Sim cards are given numbers to make the handshake, also so the network knows who it is talking to on a data call. I believe this is why it is attached to a line. That and it may offer some form of accounting for magic box locations, inventory, and user counts.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, belusnecropolis said:

It has an LTE radio, so that requires a sim card to authenticate on the network. Sim cards are given numbers to make the handshake

but this was done even way back on the old original Airaves.  while it may technically be needed now, they hacve little incentive to try to do it differently when they can continue to assess those sweet "administrative charges" and all the other fluff, per line.

2 minutes ago, swintec said:

but this was done even way back on the old original Airaves.  while it may technically be needed now, they hacve little incentive to try to do it differently when they can continue to assess those sweet "administrative charges" and all the other fluff, per line.

Great point, revenue is revenue.

1 hour ago, swintec said:

i have two MBs on my account currently.  Most likely a mistake but they are there, two separate phone numbers, two separate lines and i have two MBs sitting in my office as we speak, so it can be done.  Neither of them work due to my area but they are here waiting to be shipped back.

Do you have a friend/family member/business in a different market that you can take them to??

3 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

CA on upload.

It's coming..

It should be a top priority. Upload is very important as more and more people upload pictures, videos, and host live streams on social media. Those UL speeds reflect this. Too many people uploading junk to the internet.

Personally, I don't get the need for people to have their lives displayed 24/7. But I'm sure I'm in the minority...now get off my lawn.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, greenbastard said:

...I'm sure I'm in the minority...now get off my lawn.

Love the reference!   I feel like that too sometime!   Hahahaha.     Don't forget... at the right moment,  turn the sprinklers on full blast for an extra laugh!

Just came back from Montreal for the weekend.  My Sprint service worked fine for calls and text, but data was throttled to 2g speeds (speedtests were showing 0.02 Mb/s down and 0.05 Mb/s up).  My Unlimited Freedom plan has global roaming, but I thought I was supposed to receive a text to invite me to pay for high speed data passes?  I'm using an unlocked Moto G4 Plus, so maybe only Sprint branded phones get that option?  In my hotel I was on wifi and looked at my Sprint plan online and didn't see an option for high speed data.

39 minutes ago, avb said:

Just came back from Montreal for the weekend.  My Sprint service worked fine for calls and text, but data was throttled to 2g speeds (speedtests were showing 0.02 Mb/s down and 0.05 Mb/s up).  My Unlimited Freedom plan has global roaming, but I thought I was supposed to receive a text to invite me to pay for high speed data passes?  I'm using an unlocked Moto G4 Plus, so maybe only Sprint branded phones get that option?  In my hotel I was on wifi and looked at my Sprint plan online and didn't see an option for high speed data.

You shouldn't have had to pay for high speed data in Canada anyway. In addition to Global Roaming, did you also have the $0 Premium International Experience enabled on your line(s)?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, avb said:

You should have had this:

https://www.sprint.com/en/support/solutions/international/faqs-about-premium-international-experience.html

I am in Montreal a few weeks a month for work, and I find the LTE coverage provided by Rogers is pretty impressive.  I'd call into customer care and explain what happened - I'm fairly sure you should have Premium International Experience.

edit: @Rawvega beat me to it.  :P

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rawvega said:

You shouldn't have had to pay for high speed data in Canada anyway. In addition to Global Roaming, did you also have the $0 Premium International Experience enabled on your line(s)?

I went into my account online and thought I added $0 Premium international Experience the week before I left on the trip.  The day before the trip I double checked again, and premium international was still an option so again I added it again to my plan.  After both times maybe an hour or two later I did receive a confirmation email that my services were changed.

I just checked my account again and the Premium International Experience is still available as an option. It looks like it's not sticking when I select it as an option to add to my plan.  This is despite the fact that I do receive confirmation emails that a change to my plan was made (but the email doesn't specify what changed, only that it did change).

6 hours ago, chamb said:

Are they not doing CA upload at all right now?  I had thought that they were at least doing it on 2xCA but maybe not on 3xCA.  Can they make it work on older phones like a Galaxy S-7 or it going to take improved hardware?

Upload CA is not currently used at all. No, there is no way to make it work on older devices. Currently there are only a few devices that support upload CA, and they were released this year.

4 hours ago, clbowens said:

Also, when will they start doing B41 for download but B25/B26 for upload?

41+25 is on the roadmap, however it is not clear when that will happen. Only one device that I know of even possibly supports this CA combination. 

5 hours ago, dro1984 said:

Seems like you folks need to get facts straight....    

asking a sprint chat rep a question like that  (or really any question, imo) is just asking for possibly unreliable information.  you think maybe they will give me back the years of taxes and fees i paid on my airave "line"?

• Like 1

I do not recall ever seeing Sprint count Airaves in new customer counts/new line additions. So I would not expect them to use Magic Boxes to 'pad numbers' either.

They have counted new lines with free tablet giveaways, but they actually add a new line of service that is not free forever. Just for a promotional time. And this is something that all carriers do.  Whether for free phones or free tablets that provide service.

But I think we all see a distinctive difference between phones/tablets and Airaves/Magic Boxes, regardless if a phone number is assigned to the device. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, swintec said:

asking a sprint chat rep a question like that  (or really any question, imo) is just asking for possibly unreliable information.  you think maybe they will give me back the years of taxes and fees i paid on my airave "line"?

I’ve had an Airave forever and I haven’t paid Sprint a cent for it...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 9/16/2017 at 10:25 AM, swintec said:

Has anyone who roams on US Cellular (LTE or EVDO) noticed that roaming traffic is no longer being updated in account usage (as roaming)?  I only noticed around labor day time frame, at the same time i noticed that i was no longer limited to about 2 mbits.  Labor day weekend i put through about 1.5 gigs of data on USCC and it was not reflected and i was not cut off but then my statement cut and everything got reset and here we are several weeks into a new period and again no roaming traffic has been counted, still set to zero.  I used about 150 megabytes yesterday afternoon but i can not tell if it was added to my normal non-roaming LTE totals or not.

See... now maybe what I saw wasn't so weird after all.

I was most certainly roaming with an "R" listed, however SCP represented it as Sprint data. And 2 days later I have an updated usage account still with 0 data used for roaming. I still don't know, but I'm happy about it. Because it filled the gaps in nicely.

This was between Steven's Point, Waupaca and New London.

8 hours ago, chamb said:

I understand why the upload looks poor and I understand why that are doing it that way.  But the optics of it looks bad.  Just too bad that they can not somehow improve the upload even if it is not really needed. Most of us S4GRU users have it figured out, but the average non-educated cell phone user just looks at the figures and thinks something is wrong with Sprint.

Does the average, non educated user conclude that about his/her home broadband Internet, which almost always is skewed heavily toward downlink? By the above rationale, I should conclude that something is wrong with my 30/5 Mbps home broadband.  But I do not.  And maybe average, non educated users do not either.

AJ

23 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

I’ve had an Airave forever and I haven’t paid Sprint a cent for it...

but do you have a bill from before you had an airave to compare taxes and fees?  Because, guess what...i do.  Actually, i returned my airave earlier this year after three years of not using it.  the bills after returning the device are about $2.50 LOWER.  The difference came from lower admin fees and other surcharges that are charged per line.