Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

45 minutes ago, WiseGuy321 said:

This is correct. In the medical world, I prefer Apple hardware. For example, the software I use to read scans is far better optimized for iOS/OS X than PC/Androids. I've used Windows desktops + laptops with high-res displays and there hasn't been a single one without image scaling problems across the OS. This is important because size + shape is used as a method of diagnosis. 

Another example is as simple as looking through MRIs on my phone. If I'm quickly flipping through the scans, Android phones typically can't keep up. There is lag and choppiness. I experience none of this with an iPhone or iPad.

These arguments are a waste of time. Why do PC/Android guys feel so strongly against Apple's ecosystem?

If people want to call me "tech illiterate" and a "sheep" for using the best tools to diagnose my patients, so be it. 

Because of cost and upgradability, for example, as I can upgrade my ram and my ssd in my Dell Inspiron, where on a MacBook they are soldered in. 

3 hours ago, S4GRU said:

Also...I did not buy any insurance. And my device was nearly two years old.  I purchased my device September 29, 2015 and they agreed to replace it September 5, 2017.  Count me as one happy customer. 

Sorry guys, but I had too...

Lol!

Screenshot_20170914-144302.png

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, WiseGuy321 said:

Interesting, but who else offers in-store replacements at the Genius Bar?

Google + Pixel? Nope

HTC? Nope

Samsung? Nope

LG? Nope

Even a company as large as Samsung doesn't offer flat-rate screen replacements for their products. There's a price to pay for superior customer service. Why are we acting like Apple is suddenly doing something different?

Have you ever been to one of their stores? It's so bloody annoying. The Apple Store is one of the reasons I can't own an Apple phone. Walk in for a purchase, and the blue shirts will swarm you. Walk in for a repair, and they'll avoid you like the plague. And maybe this is just me, but every store I've been to just rubs me off as smug.

If you need your phone serviced you have to make an appointment, which at times can take up to a week. Sure, you can always mail it in, but that means being without a phone for over a week and a half.

With Google and Fi, they'll just overnight you a replacement for warranty claims. There's no taking time off your day to drive to a crowded shopping center and losing time waiting for them to service your phone. 

1 hour ago, kg4icg said:

Because of cost and upgradability, for example, as I can upgrade my ram and my ssd in my Dell Inspiron, where on a MacBook they are soldered in. 

While I love being able to replace RAM in laptops to increase their lifespan, unfortunately this is going away. Most manufacturers are heading this way in the race to make everything as thin as paper. Microsoft, Dell, Apple, Samsung, etc all have models like this now. If I had to guess, I would say onboard non-replaceable memory will be the only option in laptops in the next few years. Personally, as much as I love thin devices, I find it a waste to have to replace the whole board when something happens to the RAM. That being said, yes the prices Apple charges for RAM are astronomical. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WiseGuy321 said:

You replied to the wrong post, but yes, you are correct about HTC. 

According to XDA, it seems that LG does not supply the newest Quick Charge adapter with the G5, etc. 

My point still stands with the likes of OPO and Motorola. Why not bash them for charging extra? Or is it cool to bash Apple for no reason at all these days?

I'm not really interested in the argument here, but just want to point out that I got a Quick Charge with both my G5 and G6.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WiseGuy321 said:

This is correct. In the medical world, I prefer Apple hardware. For example, the software I use to read scans is far better optimized for iOS/OS X than PC/Androids. I've used Windows desktops + laptops with high-res displays and there hasn't been a single one without image scaling problems across the OS. This is important because size + shape is used as a method of diagnosis. 

Another example is as simple as looking through MRIs on my phone. If I'm quickly flipping through the scans, Android phones typically can't keep up. There is lag and choppiness. I experience none of this with an iPhone or iPad.

These arguments are a waste of time. Why do PC/Android guys feel so strongly against Apple's ecosystem?

If people want to call me "tech illiterate" and a "sheep" for using the best tools to diagnose my patients, so be it. 

In terms of video editing, at least in news, there has been a strong trend away from Apple products lately. With the phasing out of Final Cut, and the more widespread use of Adobe Premiere, more and more stations are now swapping out Apple machines for more powerful PCs with the Adobe suite on them.

This is not an argument for or against anything, just pointing out a trend.

3 hours ago, greenbastard said:

If you need your phone serviced you have to make an appointment, which at times can take up to a week. Sure, you can always mail it in, but that means being without a phone for over a week and a half.

AppleCare has offered exactly what you want for years...

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/service/express-replacement

7 hours ago, WiseGuy321 said:

Another example is as simple as looking through MRIs on my phone. If I'm quickly flipping through the scans, Android phones typically can't keep up. There is lag and choppiness. I experience none of this with an iPhone or iPad

Off topic but in all of the hospitals I've worked in - the truly high res diagnostic imaging, like what a radiologist uses, is done on a PC with big monitors in portrait mode. I've never seen a Mac in a reading room...aside from the radiologist's iPhone (which is being used to scroll through ESPN while working...) (that's a joke...sorta)

5 minutes ago, Jones said:

Off topic but in all of the hospitals I've worked in - the truly high res diagnostic imaging, like what a radiologist uses, is done on a PC with big monitors in portrait mode. I've never seen a Mac in a reading room...aside from the radiologist's iPhone (which is being used to scroll through ESPN while working...) (that's a joke...sorta)

The workstations hooked up to the MRI/PET/etc are PC. 

We use Macs in the reading room. Many of my fellow radiologists use Retina MacBooks (with dock + ext. monitor) and/or 4k/5k iMacs in our offices. IT has testing Surfaces, but hardware reliability hasn't been the greatest...

14 minutes ago, WiseGuy321 said:

IT has testing Surfaces, but hardware reliability hasn't been the greatest...

I work with one company that uses surfaces 4 and 5 exclusively for 200+ employees working remotely, and they have been awesome. Less than 5% of them have had issues.

10 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

I work with one company that uses surfaces 4 and 5 exclusively for 200+ employees working remotely, and they have been awesome. Less than 5% of them have had issues.

Good for them I guess...

Apparently Consumer Reports recently pulled their recommendations for entire lineup due to poor quality and most of the comments on Surface subreddit seem to show similar issues. 

I have no idea, they wouldn't give me one when I asked :rofl:

Edited by WiseGuy321

1 hour ago, WiseGuy321 said:

Good for them I guess...

Apparently Consumer Reports recently pulled their recommendations for entire lineup due to poor quality and most of the comments on Surface subreddit seem to show similar issues. 

I have no idea, they wouldn't give me one when I asked :rofl:

MY DAD CAN KICK  YOUR DAD'S ASS!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/13/2017 at 11:18 PM, nexgencpu said:

I really don't want to veer this thread to a PC vs Mac thing. Being an IT admin for multiple companies I can tell you testing the most powerful equipment, PC is the name of the game. 

We are currently testing 16 core/32 threads CPU's for architectural devs. Apple will take years to even consider stuff like this.

Yeah... no. They've already announced 18/36. 

Regardless, this Mac/PC and Droid/iOS piss contest BS needs to stop. Let's talk about Sprint and stop with these useless mine is bigger than yours and can do this or that. All the current top line phones are capable. Pick what you want without putting down the other. 

Anyone able to point out the new coverage for Macro sites. The images on Imgur are not clear to me being slightly colorblind. I can't tell if my area would have anything new or added.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/13/2017 at 11:07 AM, jamesinclair said:

Thats certainly one innovative way to move the goal posts.

Nope, and thats why I said otherwise. Removing the subsidy was just a price hike for the consumer.

Yes, because the smartphone of today is the same as the smart phone of 2013.  

On 9/13/2017 at 6:36 PM, jamesinclair said:

Used to be $199 on a 2-year actually.

Now it;s $999

No. You paid for the device cost the carrier ate in the plan. No free lunch.  And again the smart phone of today isnt the smart phone of 2013.  Want proof, look at the pictures you took then and now. 

I am looking for transcripts or a handytastic link from the CFO speech, or the recent one from Marcelo. Does anyone here have links to expansion and such that everyone who is still discussing Sprint here, is talking about up a couple posts?

Thanks in advance, I just haven't found anything describing these plans in an informative format.

Maybe Mr. Tim or a user:RedSpark could point me in the right direction, thanks again you guys are the best.

20 minutes ago, belusnecropolis said:

I am looking for transcripts or a handytastic link from the CFO speech, or the recent one from Marcelo. Does anyone here have links to expansion and such that everyone who is still discussing Sprint here, is talking about up a couple posts?

Thanks in advance, I just haven't found anything describing these plans in an informative format.

Maybe Mr. Tim or a user:RedSpark could point me in the right direction, thanks again you guys are the best.

Marcelo (CEO): http://investors.sprint.com/news-and-events/press-releases/press-release-details/2017/Sprint-CEO-Marcelo-Claure-to-Speak-Sept-14-at-Goldman-Sachs-Communacopia-Conference/default.aspx

SeekingAlpha also has a Transcript:
http://www.seekingalpha.com/article/4107108

Tarek (CFO): http://investors.sprint.com/news-and-events/press-releases/press-release-details/2017/Sprint-CFO-Tarek-Robbiati-to-Speak-September-7-at-Bank-of-America-Merrill-Lynch-2017-Media-Communications-and-Entertainment-Conference/default.aspx

You can replay the webcasts. Just enter anything for company name when you "register".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

We got some expansion maps and numbers courtesy of reddit! 

2.2M Magic Boxes? That's a serious production run. Perhaps we'll see models which transmit more than single carrier of Band 41 as a clean signal?

8K new Macro Tower Sites should expand the network quite nicely, but I'm surprised to see such an investment in Mini Macros (45K new sites) when they are currently limited to 2CA.

I imagine the same limitation applies to Strandmounts and AirPoles (15K)?

30k Tower Upgrades: Given that Sprint has approximately 50,000 Sites currently, that's a substantial number that will upgraded.

Here's what Marcelo said at the Conference: http://www.seekingalpha.com/article/4107108

Marcelo Claure

Yes. I think the scenario where, I don't think we have done a great job of explaining. So I am going to try to do this. You have to look at the strength from Sprint, all the way down from 2013 to this year. And if you average that, you are going to realize, that Sprint was spending, potentially a larger amount as a percentage of service revenue than our competitors. You go back to 2013-2014, we are spending close to 20%, and now we are spending in the mid-teens. So if you average, because there are spending cycles in which you upgrade your network, you are going to spend more. So from that end, we feel very good at how we manage our CapEx.

Secondly, is we have a different culture. When I came to Sprint, hey this is the CapEx budget, and then everybody in the network team believed that it was actually good to go spend that money at whatever expense, because next year was going to be gone. Today, we setup a budget, but we look at every single dollar that comes out, to make sure we are not overspending, that we are not buying the wrong inventory, that we are not overpaying as to build our network. So we have a very disciplined amount, in terms of how do we spend.

Now going forward what are we going to do? I think we have by far, the most diverse toolkit. We are going to get back at expanding our coverage. We plan to add a few thousand macro sites in the next 18 months. We have launched a massive upgrade, in terms of our existing towers or existing macro-sites, in which I expect every one or -- very-very high 90s, that every single one of our site should have 800, 1.9 and 2.5. These are things that we hadn't done in the last three years. But the time has come now to expand our coverage, and basically to make sure that every single one of our towers have basically three sites.

We have done it in specific markets and the results have been incredible. Whenever we pull our entire kit of macro, macro upgrades, or mini-macros, we basically are by far the best network. And now, that we have a business that has been stable, you are going to see higher levels of investment.

In addition, we are going to continue the massive deployment that we have of mini-macros or small cells, that is going quite well. We have a network meeting every week. Every week, we are getting more and more permits. I am very happy with all the states signing the small cell bill, that basically every single week, we get more approvals on the previous week, which has been hard, because now I think most cities and counties have realized that actually having a smart connected city is good for them. And then, our latest innovation, which is the magic box, is working incredibly well. We are sold out and we already tried to deploy. There are no longer thousands. By the end of this year, we are going to have hundreds of thousands of small cell or mini-macro -- what we call the magic boxes, customer's homes. So when you look at a combination, magic boxes, mini-macros, site upgrades, new macro towers, or new macro site. I think you are going to see our network continues to get better.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Much more in there!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

We got some expansion maps and numbers courtesy of reddit! 

Ok the green areas on the map that is labeled as expanded coverage, is that what it'll look like once finished or is the green the towers and the coverage will expand much further once live? 

And we know that there are more green areas than shown. Like in South Dakota. They already have permits and leases going, but were not reflected in the map.  Hopefully it's an example of under promise, over deliver. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, S4GRU said:

And we know that there are more green areas than shown. Like in South Dakota. They already have permits and leases going, but were not reflected in the map.  Hopefully it's an example of under promise, over deliver. 

The same is true on the Olympic Peninsula among other areas one Washington state. This will be interesting to follow :).