Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

5 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

I don't get it either, but as I consumer of all things tech, Apple still has hands down the best customer support. I have never had much success with dealing with other companies, but Apple has replaced multiple things out of warranty for me from batteries to iPad keyboards. Yes even they aren't perfect, but I am still satisfied when things go wrong.

I don't disagree that apple has the best customer support, but if I have to worry about that more than a couple of times at most it's not the device for me.

That's one of the reasons I believe apple is better suited for the less technically inclined.

2 hours ago, kg4icg said:

I guess you don't need to ask the UK why MacBook prices are 200 plus more then everyone else being charged, and Apple care being 199 for iPhone X, raised from 129, which was raised from 99. And don't go looking for band 71 on the new phones, it isn't there. Everything on the fcc certification site came out today. 

You said the prices have gone up for the last couple of years but this is the first year the base model has seen a price hike. It went up from 649 to 699.

31 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

I don't disagree that apple has the best customer support, but if I have to worry about that more than a couple of times at most it's not the device for me.

That's one of the reasons I believe apple is better suited for the less technically inclined.

I'd agree but you can't really buy self serviceable laptops that aren't crazy heavy anymore. Also working in high-tech labs I can tell you most machines are driven by macs or Linux computers. So I wouldn't say tech are less technologically savy. I'm around computers of all types. It all depends on your use case. Apple definitely is great for computer and smartphone newbies, but it is still quite prevalent in scientific settings. I'm not arguing one way or the other. Just don't like when people bash people for their tech decisions. 

48 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

I don't get it either, but as I consumer of all things tech, Apple still has hands down the best customer support. I have never had much success with dealing with other companies, but Apple has replaced multiple things out of warranty for me from batteries to iPad keyboards. Yes even they aren't perfect, but I am still satisfied when things go wrong.

Google has done the same for their phones (Nexus/Pixels). And they don't have the annoying stores where you are forced to make an appointment and wait for a repair. Google just replaces your phone for even the smallest of issues.

9 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

I'd agree but you can't really buy self serviceable laptops that aren't crazy heavy anymore. Also working in high-tech labs I can tell you most machines are driven by macs or Linux computers. So I wouldn't say tech are less technologically savy. I'm around computers of all types. It all depends on your use case. Apple definitely is great for computer and smartphone newbies, but it is still quite prevalent in scientific settings. I'm not arguing one way or the other. Just don't like when people bash people for their tech decisions. 

I really don't want to veer this thread to a PC vs Mac thing. Being an IT admin for multiple companies I can tell you testing the most powerful equipment, PC is the name of the game. 

We are currently testing 16 core/32 threads CPU's for architectural devs. Apple will take years to even consider stuff like this.

• Like 1

Im on the newer 2 for $110 unlimited, with $10 off with autopay.  So $100.  I get a work discount of $5/off per line.  So $90 before taxes is my bill.

Will the AAA discount stack? I hear its $5/off the primary line. And I remember a while back, Sprint was offering to pay for AAA, but I had already renewed my subscription a few months before.  Are they still paying for AAA service?

11 hours ago, greenbastard said:

Google has done the same for their phones (Nexus/Pixels). And they don't have the annoying stores where you are forced to make an appointment and wait for a repair. Google just replaces your phone for even the smallest of issues.

I was pretty impressed Google replaced Robert's Nexus 6P for a Pixel for free. That seems like an excellent customer service deal to me.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Arysyn said:

I was pretty impressed Google replaced Robert's Nexus 6P for a Pixel for free. That seems like an excellent customer service deal to me.

Also...I did not buy any insurance. And my device was nearly two years old.  I purchased my device September 29, 2015 and they agreed to replace it September 5, 2017.  Count me as one happy customer. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Hot off the Goldman Sachs Investor call with Marcelo Claure...   

Highlights at 35 mins into the call (11:05 Eastern)

-Sprint will add 2000 Macro sites (no time frame given)

- Will have EVERY cell site with 800, 1.9 and 2.5 (No time frame given)

- Will deploy many thousands of mini macro and such in addition to the Macro sites. 

-Capex will be $5-7 billion this year and "At least that much next year or more".... 

Marcelo's thoughts were that now that Sprint is growth positive and cash positive (his words) Sprint can now invest heavily and expand it's footprint.

• Like 17
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

- Will deploy many thousands of mini macro and such in addition to the Macro sites. 

-Capex will be $5-7 billion this year and "At least that much next year or more".... 

Marcelo's thoughts were that now that Sprint is growth positive and cash positive (his words) Sprint can now invest heavily and expand it's footprint.

Best Sprint news in quite some time!

• Like 5

14 hours ago, kg4icg said:

Paying extra for what android includes a standard, oh the Sheeple runs deep.

You seem very misinformed and quick to bash for no reason. 

How is this any different from what Android OEMs do? These phones typically don't come with the Dash charge or QuickCharge bricks. All of that costs extra. 

So it's ok for Samsung/LG/HTC/OPO/Motorola/etc to charge extra, but not Apple? Why the double standard?

Edited by WiseGuy321

12 hours ago, kg4icg said:

Interesting, but who else offers in-store replacements at the Genius Bar?

Google + Pixel? Nope

HTC? Nope

Samsung? Nope

LG? Nope

Even a company as large as Samsung doesn't offer flat-rate screen replacements for their products. There's a price to pay for superior customer service. Why are we acting like Apple is suddenly doing something different?

Edited by WiseGuy321
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, WiseGuy321 said:

You seem very misinformed and quick to bash for no reason. 

How is this any different from what Android OEMs do? These phones typically don't come with the Dash charge or QuickCharge bricks. All of that costs extra. 

So it's ok for Samsung/LG/HTC/OPO/etc to charge extra, but not Apple? Why the double standard?

My GS6 came with a fast charge adapter.  I'm pretty sure the GS7 and GS8 did also.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WiseGuy321 said:

Interesting, but who else offers in-store replacements at the Genius Bar?

Google + Pixel? Nope

HTC? Nope

Samsung? Nope

LG? Nope

Even a company as large as Samsung doesn't offer flat-rate screen replacements for their products. There's a price to pay for superior customer service. Why are we acting like Apple is suddenly doing something different?

Both my HTC's came  with a Quickcharge adapter. You might want to do some research. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dro1984 said:

Hopefully this will shut some people up for a bit. I know we're waiting to see execution of this but Sprint is definitely more competent and on a better footing now than ever before. It seems like we get more exciting info from these side engagements than we do during the quarterly reports.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, kg4icg said:

Both my HTC's came  with a Quickcharge adapter. You might want to do some research. 

You replied to the wrong post, but yes, you are correct about HTC. 

According to XDA, it seems that LG does not supply the newest Quick Charge adapter with the G5, etc. 

My point still stands with the likes of OPO and Motorola. Why not bash them for charging extra? Or is it cool to bash Apple for no reason at all these days?

Edited by WiseGuy321

7 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

Hopefully this will shut some people up for a bit. I know we're waiting to see execution of this but Sprint is definitely more competent and on a better footing now than ever before. It seems like we get more exciting info from these side engagements than we do during the quarterly reports.

yes.   I loved it though... 2 seconds into the call after introduction, the Goldman people litearly asked "you promised us a response regarding merger news during our last call"... "so when will the merger be announced"....   Marcelo's answer as "per our Lawyers, this is what I'm allowed to say: "No comment"" LOL.   They hit him hard and didn't hold back... that is a good thing.   

the Quarterly Earnings calls are events to polish their apples in front of the investment community and investors...   These technology calls and things like the Goldman Sachs calls are where the nitty-gritty comes out.

Massive Mimo came up and was addressed... we already know about that... but it's real and it's really happening "now".   I don't believe anyone should "Shut up" about Sprint though.   There has been so many promises made by Sprint that just never came to reality or was started and transitioned into something else.... that I think many of us are just a little skeptical until we actually see results and as it should be!   In the last month, I have never seen so much actual improvement in my area in the last 6 or 7 years as I have in the last 30- 60 days!

Lets see, 800 mHz up and running now, multiple carriers added on the sprint sites... Magic Box's being deployed and delivered... small cells going up and being worked on....    hallelujah!   

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JustinRP37 said:

It all depends on your use case. Apple definitely is great for computer and smartphone newbies, but it is still quite prevalent in scientific settings. 

This is correct. In the medical world, I prefer Apple hardware. For example, the software I use to read scans is far better optimized for iOS/OS X than PC/Androids. I've used Windows desktops + laptops with high-res displays and there hasn't been a single one without image scaling problems across the OS. This is important because size + shape is used as a method of diagnosis. 

Another example is as simple as looking through MRIs on my phone. If I'm quickly flipping through the scans, Android phones typically can't keep up. There is lag and choppiness. I experience none of this with an iPhone or iPad.

Just don't like when people bash people for their tech decisions. 

These arguments are a waste of time. Why do PC/Android guys feel so strongly against Apple's ecosystem?

If people want to call me "tech illiterate" and a "sheep" for using the best tools to diagnose my patients, so be it. 

Edited by WiseGuy321
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, WiseGuy321 said:

According to XDA, it seems that LG does not supply the newest Quick Charge adapter with the G5, etc.

Not sure about "newest" but I definitely got a quick charger with my G5.  I use it regularly and my phone charges quite quickly.

- Trip

Far as capex, cell site, blah.  We have heard it all before.  Real visiable action will be the sign.

IMO Sprint is show us with Magic Box and MM deployments, so hopefully we can see expansion with Massive-MIMO, additional Macros, and and all three bands on all towers. 

If Sprint IS going to add 2000 sites, and they drop these around all of their Extend 3G/LTE roaming partners, those sites could go even further in terms of new coverage. :D

• Like 2