Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Anyone else having problems with the My Sprint app on Android? It throws up errors everywhere in the app. Updated it and still errors.

Yes, I've been having issues even logging into the website since the weekend started. I did manage to see a device was added to my account (magic box that's en route I presume). I think there's a bug preventing accounts with a magic box from logging in correctly.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I assume in LG fashion the v30 will have O at launch.

That said the rumors point to....

Pixel 2 (standard) being an HTC with its “stupid” squeeze sides.

Pixel 2xl being an LG v30 redo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knowing the V20 was released with Android N, normally I'd agree with you. However, LG made a pretty big deal last year about the V20 being released with N, yet still have made no comment about the LG V30 being released with O.

I'm thinking perhaps since LG got the contract to make the larger, more popular Pixel XL this year, the Pixel XL2, maybe Google told LG not to release O on the V30 until after the Pixel gets released. Regardless, I won't be purchasing the V30 if the Plus version has more features than just added memory and storage.

I wonder what this is?!?!

https://twitter.com/sprint/status/899826704612556801

Well, my guess is based on some commented on there about Prince Royce, who I understand is a musician of some sort. As I've mentioned before many times here on S4GRU, I don't follow, pay attention, nor participate in popular culture in any way. I'm leery of documented history and even written accounts/perspectives of things, so I'm not even going to try discussing the merits of having a popular musician involved with Sprint, other than I think it would be better for Sprint to stick with marketing based on its network's technical merits, rather than having people buy in because some celebrity figure endorses Sprint.

Perhaps Sprint is going to have a concert with this Prince Royce in making n announcement of a new promo. I wouldn't doubt Sprint may follow my suggestion of having postpaid service start at two lines, then having a really good pricing point to start it at, which I think it could be $75 monthly. Since Sprint is marketing this as "Live Unlimited", I'm thinking that Sprint will end having limited tethering data, and change it to being unlimited at 3G speed, with a 9mbps option available at some price point.

Speaking of 9mbps, I think more service features likely will be bumped up to that speed as an ideal streaming/tethering speed option to work well with a greater unlimited data plan. We'll see what Sprint offers here. Of course, it may just be another non-technical music promotion deal.

Verizon’s good unlimited data plan is now three bad unlimited plans

Cheapest plan limits video to 480p, and there’s no way to watch 1080p on a phone anymore

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/22/16181362/verizon-new-unlimited-data-plan-video-throttling-net-neutrality

Looks like Verizon could be running out of capacity... Unlimited has hit them pretty hard. It's now also clear why they were doing that "Netflix Test" not too long ago.

Sprint's Unlimited Freedom Plan with 1080P HD Streaming included is becoming a much better value... and you also have the option of Ultra HD Streaming for an additional $10/Month per line.

Don't get any ideas Sprint...

• Like 4

Well you got your cookie, now eat it. Of course now Google needs to pay license fees to Nabisco for using the trademarked name

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

According to this article, there was no money involved when Google named Android 4.4 Kit Kat and I imagine Google has a similar (promotional) agreement with Nabisco for Oreo.

• Like 1

Cheapest plan limits video to 480p, and there’s no way to watch 1080p on a phone anymorehttps://www.theverge.com/2017/8/22/16181362/verizon-new-unlimited-data-plan-video-throttling-net-neutrality

Looks like Verizon could be running out of capacity... Unlimited has hit them pretty hard. It's now also clear why they were doing that "Netflix Test" not too long ago.

Sprint's Unlimited Freedom Plan with 1080P HD Streaming included is becoming a much better value... and you also have the option of Ultra HD Streaming for an additional $10/Month per line.

Nah, after a month Sprint will switch back to that 480p because they are adding so many customers /s.

Cheapest plan limits video to 480p, and there’s no way to watch 1080p on a phone anymore

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/22/16181362/verizon-new-unlimited-data-plan-video-throttling-net-neutrality

This would be one of the few times I'd like to hear Sprint parade about how they can offer HD 1080p becuase they have the Spectrum to support it.

• Like 7

Nah, after a month Sprint will switch back to that 480p because they are adding so many customers /s.

God I hope not. If they do, atleast let people keep their 1080p for life and not pull a Verizon and move everyone to 720p or 480p.

• Like 2

Well you got your cookie, now eat it. Of course now Google needs to pay license fees to Nabisco for using the trademarked name

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

This is not the first time Google has done this and in fact Nestle took full advantage of the KitKat marketing  to offer Android Play promotion codes.  Who knows if sales of KitKat went up because of these promotions.  Google will have not problem paying Nabisco to use the Oreo name.

• Like 1

Yeah no kidding.  While Verizon had it, I jumped and added 10 lines of unlimited with 15% off.

Ends up being about 31.25/line after all taxes/fees for unlimited everything.  Now, prices are much much higher and with less features.

• Like 1

Just after the eclipse in Nashville, I ran a Speedtest to see what was happening.  To say this is impressive with the amount of people in town is an understatement.  This test was taken with a 2CA phone on b41.

eclipse.PNG

• Like 15

This is not the first time Google has done this and in fact Nestle took full advantage of the KitKat marketing  to offer Android Play promotion codes.  Who knows if sales of KitKat went up because of these promotions.  Google will have not problem paying Nabisco to use the Oreo name.

Oh I'm sure Kitkat sales went through the roof, especially since my waistline also went through the roof buying and eating so many kitkats  when they had that Nexus 7 device promotion. If they do something similar with the Oreo, then lord help me I may end up in a coma. lol

• Like 5

Too bad Sprint couldn't say 1080P+ streaming quality while only on B41 towers, but that would not be consumer-friendly.

they could simply say, 1080P+ streaming available when/where network traffic allows. subject to network de-prioritization as necessary to combat congestion.

Very good post, RedSpark. Quite kind of you to inform us of these rate plan changes. I use to keep track of them, but then sometime along the way I just lost interest in how the carriers were pricing them. Of course, that hasn't changed my interest in these rate plans regarding my personal opinions relating to the best type of rate plan for a particular carrier at any given time and popularity of service offerings. Still, I continue hoping at least one of the carriers does something good with their rate plans.

Anyways, here are some of my thoughts regarding the recent Verizon rate plan changes :

I like that the rate plan now starts at $75 monthly and now includes unlimited hotspot and tethering for data. I greatly support these pricing decisions. However, I definitely do not happen to like the automatic deprioritization, at all, in any way, shape, or form. I'm especially glad to have kept T-Mobile, rather than having made the switch to Verizon as I was planning on doing some time ago.

Additionally, knowing that taxes and fees are included in the monthly rate with T-Mobile, is a great free inclusion that is followed along (currently), 32gb of non-deprioritized data. Although, I'm now suspecting that deprioritization is going to be possible regardless of data usage. Concerning the video streaming quality limits, this is very bad, and very scary Verizon now is doing this, especially after being such strong defenders of quality over the years. Now that Verizon is limiting video streaming worse than Sprint and AT&T, this opens up the possibilities of other carriers doing the same.

I've said this here alot lately, but I really think it would be best to scrap all of these various limits down to just one simple speed cap in a format which progressively increases the sped the more that is paid for service, and market the pricing based on a particular plan's potential speed and price point. Example : Unlimited data, text, voice, and tethering up to the speedcap of selected plan. $15 monthly account charge (includes taxes and fees) plus $15 monthly per line charge. Service Charges (Must Select One per line) -Speeds up to- : 3mbps (480p typical) $15 monthly, 6mbps (720p typical) $30 monthly, 9mbps (1080p typical) $45 monthly, 12mbps (1440p typical) $60 monthly

Otherwise, I really don't see how 720p video stream limits are going to be accepted well by Verizon customers. This is a great opportunity for Sprint and T-Mobile to do some clever marketing and win big getting customers away from Verizon.

• Like 1

Anybody hear any new rumblings of merging? I thought both of our fearless Sprint leaders said a merger announcement was "imminent"??

No merger information from me.

I'm expecting more of this horrible video throttling stuff to continue before anything productive gets announced.

• Like 1

Anybody hear any new rumblings of merging?    I thought both of our fearless Sprint leaders said a merger announcement was "imminent"??

Imminent no, speculation yes, but a couple of members here talk like a merger is imminent. Personally I believe Sprint could stand on its own two feet and wreck havoc on Verizon and AT&T with the power of their spectrum holdings.

• Like 4

Imminent no, speculation yes, but a couple of members here talk like a merger is imminent. Personally I believe Sprint could stand on its own two feet and wreck havoc on Verizon and AT&T with the power of their spectrum holdings.

If there wasn't any issue with money that has been reported with Sprint, then if Sprint could spend alot of money on deployment and densification, they would do very well without needing a merger. Especially if Softbank were to do a major network investment and have the build done properly. I think a $10 billion investment into it would be plenty and have Sprint thriving on its own.

• Like 2

Also an update to what I mentioned recently regarding the LG V30. Since LG is making the Pixel XL2 featuring LG's FullVision display, unless LG definitely sells the V30+ here in the U.S., I'm most likely going to skip getting the LG V30 all together, instead wait for the Pixel XL2 to arrive. I'm hoping it won't be carrier limited to Verizon this time around, which I think its best just to have it sold as an Unlocked model, but also would be nice if it were sold on all carriers.

Being that its going to be made by LG, hopefully it'll be waterproof too.

Imminent no, speculation yes, but a couple of members here talk like a merger is imminent. Personally I believe Sprint could stand on its own two feet 

No, not speculation.   Son has been saying for the last few months.   The longer it takes, the less likely it is to happen.   

• Like 1

No, not speculation. Son has been saying for the last few months. The longer it takes, the less likely it is to happen.

He said an answer on the merger talk will take longer. He never said it was less likily.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

No, not speculation. Son has been saying for the last few months. The longer it takes, the less likely it is to happen.

I agree. Such as that sudden cable company merger that seemed such a big deal, so closely imminent, yet completely, suddenly stopped being discussed. I wasn't really supportive of the idea anyways. I'd much rather see mergers between current carriers within the wireless industry than see cable get involved.

I'm of course one of the biggest supporters of wireless industry consolidation, but even I'm seeing the complete lull in activity as a sign this isn't really close to happening and even now may not be the best time to speculate on mergers. There is more concern right now with where pricing may go, and this Verizon move is worrying.

If there wasn't any issue with money that has been reported with Sprint, then if Sprint could spend alot of money on deployment and densification, they would do very well without needing a merger. Especially if Softbank were to do a major network investment and have the build done properly. I think a $10 billion investment into it would be plenty and have Sprint thriving on its own.

I would love if sprint can stand on its own and keep 4 national carriers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 3