Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Here's an interesting twist:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/31/softbank-hasnt-given-up-on-charter-yet-sources-say.html

SoftBank hasn't given up on Charter, yet, sources say

• SoftBank looking at an offer of at least 50 percent in cash to form a company to buy Charter and Sprint.

• It's unclear what price SoftBank would offer for Charter shares or for the 20 percent of Sprint shares owned by the public for which it would also make an offer.

• SoftBank has lined up financing for the offer from three global banks and would be comfortable levering up the balance sheet, sources tell CNBC.

• Like 4

Here's an interesting twist:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/31/softbank-hasnt-given-up-on-charter-yet-sources-say.html

SoftBank hasn't given up on Charter, yet, sources say

• SoftBank looking at an offer of at least 50 percent in cash to form a company to buy Charter and Sprint.

• It's unclear what price SoftBank would offer for Charter shares or for the 20 percent of Sprint shares owned by the public for which it would also make an offer.

• SoftBank has lined up financing for the offer from three global banks and would be comfortable levering up the balance sheet, sources tell CNBC.

I wonder what happened with Comcast in this deal? If Comcast is gone from this, then I definitely do not want this to happen, particularly if it does and they start having discounted regional bundles in areas where Charter has cable coverage, leaving out the remainder of the nation where Sprint serves with wireless.

That would be a bad thing I really don't believe cable companies want. As I've been writing about lately here, these cable companies want national scale, which right now they're mostly stuck with being local/regional. AT&T doesn't even bundle wireless with landline, which is partly why they got Directv for that national television broadcast coverage they could use for bundling with wireless.

At this point, despite the disadvantages compared to going with cable, perhaps Sprint is better off going with T-Mobile. I'd really like to see both of them get Dish after they merge. That would place the combined company in an excellent position to compete against AT&T. The next thing I know I'd love to see Sprint do, is Fiber internet. If that happens, I'd switch to Sprint faster than a T-Rex can rip a caveman to shreds. ????

I wonder what happened with Comcast in this deal? If Comcast is gone from this, then I definitely do not want this to happen, particularly if it does and they start having discounted regional bundles in areas where Charter has cable coverage, leaving out the remainder of the nation where Sprint serves with wireless.

That would be a bad thing I really don't believe cable companies want. As I've been writing about lately here, these cable companies want national scale, which right now they're mostly stuck with being local/regional. AT&T doesn't even bundle wireless with landline, which is partly why they got Directv for that national television broadcast coverage they could use for bundling with wireless.

At this point, despite the disadvantages compared to going with cable, perhaps Sprint is better off going with T-Mobile. I'd really like to see both of them get Dish after they merge. That would place the combined company in an excellent position to compete against AT&T. The next thing I know I'd love to see Sprint do, is Fiber internet. If that happens, I'd switch to Sprint faster than a T-Rex can rip a caveman to shreds. [emoji16]

I believe, might be miss reading your long post though

You can’t think of cable companies as being locked to their native region.

Most will soon offer OTT solutions on a national level.

This is what the “foreign “ companies are looking at for future profits And mobile ties perfectly to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sprint has stated that 4XCA will be deployed via software update. I have been told time and time again that current Sprint b41 equipment can only do 3XCA×2 at the most. Can someone explain?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

maybe they mean software update to the tower. I've always heard that CA at some point is just a remote update once the equipment is in place.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sprint has stated that 4XCA will be deployed via software update. I have been told time and time again that current Sprint b41 equipment can only do 3XCA×2 at the most. Can someone explain?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Your question got kinda lost in the shuffle..

But here is Tim's answer from reddit...

"4th / 5th / 6th carrier is a software configuration change at 8T8R eNB sites. Requires changing site configurations from a 8T8R to 4T8R x2 transmit chains ie 4 ports transmit 3 unique carriers so on 6 unique carriers possible. For triband antenna sites where they run 4 ports they do 2T4Rx2 transmit chains to do the same thing minus 4x MIMO.

The ultimate capacity setup is a tri sector virtual split where a radio runs 3 sectors. I've only seen such a setup on macros with huge data demand ie EDC.

Massive MIMO is a massive upgrade in that it does 3D beam forming which means you can have one massive mimo unit aimed at a building and get 360 coverage in it due to how the antenna arrays is designed. Helps get rid of a lot of RF shadows due to site placement but it depends entirely on local RF conditions as they need the signal to "bounce" around. So it's going to be a extremely targeted deployment at high density urban areas. Softbank, who has it deployed for more than a year, has only just a few hundred such setups."

• Like 2

I believe, might be miss reading your long post though

You can’t think of cable companies as being locked to their native region.

Most will soon offer OTT solutions on a national level.

This is what the “foreign “ companies are looking at for future profits And mobile ties perfectly to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may be misreading what I wrote, but then again I'm not quite understanding what you're saying either.

What I mean is this... Initially both Comcast and Charter were going to get Sprint together in some form of deal. That would have been quite large, both in terms of coverage where a cable company had a wireless service, and in terms of scale that would give these cable companies more power, motive, reasoning; basically the means to be able to push for more consolidation in cable.

Prior to hearing about this, and even now, seeing that perhaps its better not to have a wireless service in which to do these things, which essentially is what I believed in before. To simplify my statement, while cable companies could leverage their ownership in wireless to get more consolidation in cable, perhaps it isn't needed for them to get wireless in the first place, rather try to consolidate in cable first.

As I've been saying, the ultimate goal of cable regarding their aims in wireless l, is to bundle plan packages, which make the companies more money and give them essentially more power over the consumer by locking them into these large bundles of service. Yet for now, until cable companies can do this nationwide, it is worthless to buy into wireless, other than as an MVNO, because if they own a wireless company without national scale, it will be impossible to fairly offer bundles to tv packages within the wireless side

Good on ya sprint! I'd like to see more twice the price advertisement... I think it's a really effective message. Like tmo did, sprint should really turn on the advertising jets

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Remember how so many people on this forum were saying that T-Mobile and Sprint had to merge to be profitable and invest in their network to take on AT&T and Verizon, typically with no actual financial assumptions or models to back up whatever BS they were saying?

Well, here ya go...

FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME - SPRINT AND T-MOBILE DO NOT NEED TO MERGE TO BE PROFITABLE.

Whew, with that said, let's actually talk stuff:

Free year of unlimited data was 1% of new customers

115k new subs in July

Postpaid net phone adds of 88k (total postpaid net adds of -39K, losses on tablets)

Prepaid net adds 35k

Wholesale net adds 65k

Postpaid churn of 1.65% (OUCH, this is not good); postpaid phone churn of 1.5%

Prepaid churn of 4.57% (not bad)

$1.6 billion in capex (yay)

• Like 4

$1.6 billion in capex (yay)

Actually $1.121 Billion for Network.

See Page 24 at the bottom: http://s21.q4cdn.com/487940486/files/doc_financials/quarterly/2017/q1/03_Fiscal-1Q17-Sprint-Quarterly-Investor-Update-FINAL.pdf

Tarek just said it related to ramping of its Densification program.

Congrats to Sprint in getting its financial house in order. That being said, I am still in favor of T-Mobile and Sprint merging because of the tremendous fixed cost investment it takes to have a nationwide network. I hope that Softbank at some point or another invests in acquiring the 600Mhz spectrum from Dish, Comcast and some smaller companies and then lease it to Sprint. 7Mhz is not enough to compete with the other three.

• Like 3

I wish we could get more color on the CapEx spending, but as we all have noticed there has been a surge in permitted and COMPLETED MM B41 work in many markets. So hopefully we are starting to see a continuing investment trend.

• Like 3

I'm glad to see work is being done, but that's just hilarious.  I think it's easy to see why permitting has been an issue with work like that.