Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Sprint's Regional Market Twitter Feeds.

For example, Salt Lake City, Utah: https://twitter.com/Sprint4Utah/status/874299656355946496

I wonder if @digiblur would be able to confirm whether Sprint's speeds actually improved around him or not.  I recall him leaving a few years ago because they weren't rolling out LTE in the areas around him.

EDIT: He's in New Orleans. 

• Like 2

I wonder if @digiblur would be able to confirm whether Sprint's speeds actually improved around him or not.  I recall him leaving a few years ago because they weren't rolling out LTE in the areas around him.

That would be interesting to know. I'm looking forward to the "Hey DC" graphic.

• Like 2

I wonder if @digiblur would be able to confirm whether Sprint's speeds actually improved around him or not. I recall him leaving a few years ago because they weren't rolling out LTE in the areas around him.

I thought he was in baton rouge.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Nice to see Sprint's progress in specific markets. Especially NOLA, which has been historically "challenged" for Sprint.

He's in Baton Rouge, which is part of the New Orleans market. The New Orleans metro area has never been a "challenged" area for Sprint -- it was one of their strongest markets (and had their highest market share percentage nationally) for years. Baton Rouge (and most of greater Louisiana), however, were former affiliate markets which were basically left to rot until enough subscribers ported out to normalize usage with deployment.

The problem in Baton Rouge wasn't speeds, it was coverage. AT&T literally has 2-3 macro sites for almost every Sprint site in the area, whereas you still in 2017 can't drive across the city without ending up on 3G. They added a total of TWO (EDIT: THREE) new macro sites during Network Vision, and cancelled about two dozen planned builds. That, of course, didn't stop Marcelo a while back from posting a 200+ Mbps speed test earlier this year performed about a block away from one of the handful of macro sites that got 8T8R equipment.

• Like 6

He's in Baton Rouge, which is part of the New Orleans market. The New Orleans metro area has never been a "challenged" area for Sprint -- it was one of their strongest markets (and had their highest market share percentage nationally) for years. Baton Rouge (and most of greater Louisiana), however, were former affiliate markets which were basically left to rot until enough subscribers ported out to normalize usage with deployment.The problem in Baton Rouge wasn't speeds, it was coverage. AT&T literally has 2-3 macro sites for almost every Sprint site in the area, whereas you still in 2017 can't drive across the city without ending up on 3G. They added a total of TWO (EDIT: THREE) new macro sites during Network Vision, and cancelled about two dozen planned builds. That, of course, didn't stop Marcelo a while back from posting a 200+ Mbps speed test earlier this year performed about a block away from one of the handful of macro sites that got 8T8R equipment.

Keep in mind, these new scores are average speeds.

T-Mobile is rolling out 600 MHz Spectrum this summer: https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/t-mobiles-new-600-mhz-network-rollout-begins-this-summer.htm

Even though the FCC set a 39-month repacking plan for the 600 MHz airwaves recently sold at auction to give TV broadcasters time to move off that spectrum onto other channels, this seems very quick.

I remember when Tarek Robbiati explained Sprint's decision not to participate in the auction: http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/sprint-cfo-robbiati-600-mhz-spectrum-past

----------

“We did not participate in the 600 MHz (auction) not because we didn’t have money at the time, or we were under-resourced for it,” he said. “It is simply spectrum that is spectrum of the past. The world is moving toward high-capacity wireless data networks, and in that world the best and most efficient spectrum that is needed for that… is mid-band spectrum, the spectrum that we have, the 2.5 GHz spectrum.”

Robbiati also noted that the TV broadcasters’ airwaves currently up for grabs may not be available for several years. The FCC has issued a 39-month repacking plan for that spectrum, enabling the broadcasters to move to other airwaves while their former spectrum is reshuffled for wireless use.

“Why invest in 600 MHz spectrum if that spectrum doesn’t really cater for the future, and also it’s spectrum you cannot deploy for four years?” Robbiati asked rhetorically. “And it doesn’t have an ecosystem in support as widespread as 2.5 spectrum, which is the largest ecosystem in the world.”

---------

Is T-Mobile running ahead of schedule or was this deployment schedule expected all along?

• Like 2

T-Mobile is rolling out 600 MHz Spectrum this summer: https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/t-mobiles-new-600-mhz-network-rollout-begins-this-summer.htm

Even though the FCC set a 39-month repacking plan for the 600 MHz airwaves recently sold at auction to give TV broadcasters time to move off that spectrum onto other channels, this seems very quick.

I remember when Tarek Robbiati explained Sprint's decision not to participate in the auction: http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/sprint-cfo-robbiati-600-mhz-spectrum-past

----------

“We did not participate in the 600 MHz (auction) not because we didn’t have money at the time, or we were under-resourced for it,” he said. “It is simply spectrum that is spectrum of the past. The world is moving toward high-capacity wireless data networks, and in that world the best and most efficient spectrum that is needed for that… is mid-band spectrum, the spectrum that we have, the 2.5 GHz spectrum.”

Robbiati also noted that the TV broadcasters’ airwaves currently up for grabs may not be available for several years. The FCC has issued a 39-month repacking plan for that spectrum, enabling the broadcasters to move to other airwaves while their former spectrum is reshuffled for wireless use.

“Why invest in 600 MHz spectrum if that spectrum doesn’t really cater for the future, and also it’s spectrum you cannot deploy for four years?” Robbiati asked rhetorically. “And it doesn’t have an ecosystem in support as widespread as 2.5 spectrum, which is the largest ecosystem in the world.”

---------

Is T-Mobile running ahead of schedule or was this deployment schedule expected all along?

They had come out with their 5G plan a while back with multiple phases to roll out 600mhz by 2020.  This is nothing new. The roll out is limited to parts of the country and not nationwide.  

Sprint says my Nexus 5x is carrier-locked (despite me being able to use it freely on AT&T/T-Mobile/Ringplus)...Anyone know how I can bypass the level 1 care and get a ClickIT ticket submitted?  I'm trying to take advantage of the free year plan so I can monitor upgrades in my area on Sprint.

They had come out with their 5G plan a while back with multiple phases to roll out 600mhz by 2020.  This is nothing new. The roll out is limited to parts of the country and not nationwide.  

There are parts of the country outside the big cities where their winnings in the 600Mhz band are not occupied by broadcasters. Those are free to develop.

• Like 2

I'm wondering about this. I tried putting in my VZW iPhone's IMEI into the website and it said it wasn't eligible. Not sure why.

After searching around, it looks like my Nexus 5x isn't working because it's registered as a Prepaid device (when I used it on Ringplus).  I am going to see if I can submit a ClickIT ticket to get this thing moved back to postpaid eligible.

We expected the first areas to be deployed this year anyway. These areas had no one occupying the spectrum. It'll be a while before most major metros see deployment though. NYC for example is likely years away. Additionally there is a lack of device support. Sprint already had several devices capable of using 800MHz CDMA by the time it started deploying.

Now that I think about it, I am glad that Sprint did not participate in the 600 MHz auction.  It would have been a disaster and the rollout schedule for 600 MHz for Sprint would have been a huge crawl.  I am glad that Tmobile was able to get the bulk of the 600 MHz spectrum since they had the least amount of spectrum of the major carriers and was able to help reach parity in low band spectrum with the big 2 carriers.  Not to mention that Tmobile has been just fantastic when it comes to deploying new spectrum for LTE use.

But in terms of whether what Tmobile is according to schedule the answer is Yes.  There has always been areas that are not affected by 600 MHz and if Tmobile follows through with the strategy that you deploy 600 MHz whereever and whenever is ready regardless of market they will be in great shape in terms of expanding native coverage and providing overall better LTE coverage and speeds.  Tmobile has come out and said that they want to cover more area in LTE with this low band spectrum.

Now that I think about it, I am glad that Sprint did not participate in the 600 MHz auction. It would have been a disaster and the rollout schedule for 600 MHz for Sprint would have been a huge crawl. I am glad that Tmobile was able to get the bulk of the 600 MHz spectrum since they had the least amount of spectrum of the major carriers and was able to help reach parity in low band spectrum with the big 2 carriers. Not to mention that Tmobile has been just fantastic when it comes to deploying new spectrum for LTE use.

But in terms of whether what Tmobile is according to schedule the answer is Yes. There has always been areas that are not affected by 600 MHz and if Tmobile follows through with the strategy that you deploy 600 MHz whereever and whenever is ready regardless of market they will be in great shape in terms of expanding native coverage and providing overall better LTE coverage and speeds. Tmobile has come out and said that they want to cover more area in LTE with this low band spectrum.

Yeah but, now Sprint will be the only one of just 5x5 on low band. Doesn't matter how much B41 gets build out their will be places you cannot get the B41 signal. I can't at work.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Yeah but, now Sprint will be the only one of just 5x5 on low band. Doesn't matter how much B41 gets build out their will be places you cannot get the B41 signal. I can't at work.

The counter argument for not participating in the 600 MHz auction is that even though B41 small cells won't reach everywhere indoors, it will still be enough to offload users from B25/26. That would then create a decent B26 experience if you happen to need it.

But I'm one of the few who disagrees and hopes Sprint can find a way to get more low band spectrum. They're going to need it if they want to continue to be reliable in Voice.

5x5 of B26 or not, if you don't get it now you won't even with a 10x10 setup. Moreso lack of signal from your nearest tower, which at least in my opinion B26 is optimized like shit.

• Like 1

The counter argument for not participating in the 600 MHz auction is that even though B41 small cells won't reach everywhere indoors, it will still be enough to offload users from B25/26. That would then create a decent B26 experience if you happen to need it.

But I'm one of the few who disagrees and hopes Sprint can find a way to get more low band spectrum. They're going to need it if they want to continue to be reliable in Voice.

They didn't participate because they didn't have money for it period. 

• Like 5

I could be wrong, but does it really matter that Sprint didn't participate in the 600MHz auction and T-Mobile did when most likely they will merge in the near future. The new company will have everything from low to high. (insert evil laugh now).

TS

• Like 4

I'm sure Marcello disagrees with you. Every customer counts at this point. Back then, Sprint was willing to let you walk from a contact free of charge if you roamed excessively. Today, they just cut you off from roaming instead of losing you.

Eh, I really don't care what you think about it. I already explained that i never implied they didn't need more customers. For the last time they just don't need them in low performing areas. Those places are not where their (new customer acquisition) efforts should lie.

And it's "Marcelo." One "l."

New topic.

Edited by JonnygATL
  • Like 2