Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Sprint's equivalent to Nextel's pump & dump or T-Mobile's uncarrier moves? Get as many subscribers as you can as fast as you can before you merge?

What's to prevent people from getting a year's worth of free service and then move to another carrier?

Edited by bigsnake49

Sprint's equivalent to Nextel's pump & dump or T-Mobile's uncarrier moves? Get as many subscribers as you can as fast as you can before you merge?

What's to prevent people from getting a year's worth of free service and then move to another carrier?

Nothing. It requires you to bring your own equipment. Sprint would claim they want people to try their network and have a shot at converting them to a paying customer, but see as this "marketing effort" would likely drive up churn a year from now I think it is clearly a pump and dump scheme.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Considering Sprint fell from the solid #3 national carrier to distant #4, I beg to differ. Sprint wants as many subscribers as it can have.

As a matter of fact, based on the recent free service promo that Sprint is offering, you're statement is not only inaccurate, but 100% false.

That new promotion is interesting but has zero to do with what I said. My point is Sprint isn't necessarily trying to cover every single human in the lower 48. Nor should they necessarily be trying to. My point is clear and solid in that if it doesn't work for you (or whomever) then stop whining and find a carrier that does. Sprint doesn't owe you coverage. In fact, they don't owe you or me or anyone else (aside from shareholders) anything at all. Entitlement, that's a major problem these days.
  • Like 5

It seems like it will happen at least some point down the road: https://seekingalpha.com/news/3273003-sprint-chief-claure-enormous-synergies-t-mobile-merger?ifp=0

When your CEO starts publicly discussing it, they are working on something.

They're definitely not at all trying to hide that they are wide open for discussion. I guess my biggest concern is that they not scale back the rollout of band 41 to non b41 towers as they wait for a potential suitor.

Given recent capex guidance, however, it would seem they plan on plowing ahead either way.

They're definitely not at all trying to hide that they are wide open for discussion. I guess my biggest concern is that they not scale back the rollout of band 41 to non b41 towers as they wait for a potential suitor.

Given recent capex guidance, however, it would seem they plan on plowing ahead either way.

I don think they'll put there network plans on hold until they have a tie up. It is already baked in to their forward guidance, thus "baked in". After that there will be a six months to year and half delay as they coordinate network plans and close the deal.

That new promotion is interesting but has zero to do with what I said. My point is Sprint isn't necessarily trying to cover every single human in the lower 48. Nor should they necessarily be trying to. My point is clear and solid in that if it doesn't work for you (or whomever) then stop whining and find a carrier that does. Sprint doesn't owe you coverage. In fact, they don't owe you or me or anyone else (aside from shareholders) anything at all. Entitlement, that's a major problem these days.

The issue isn't entitlement, it's negligence on Sprint's end, or over-promising/under-delivering.  They stated a few times during network vision they were planning on having LTE on almost all of the sites, and then even NGN was supposed to be properly funded and going in full-throttle.  So in a sense, if Sprint says they're going to do it, you're very well entitled to what they promise.  That and of course, the terrible coverage maps that state you're covered when you're actually not.  :hmm:

I do think it's unrealistic to think Sprint is in a position to expand to 100% LTE coverage, but the point is they can't properly fund for the network, especially if they start giving away service for a year.  Something tells me they're juicing up their subscribers for a buyout/merger.

• Like 1

What I really hope is that if it is a tie up with T mobile then the networks merge almost right away though a project fi type set up.

My guess is they're completely decommission CDMA/EvDo and re-use that spectrum to further LTE capacity.  Similar to how they managed the MetroPCS transition.  The only difference is most of Sprint devices already support all of T-Mobile's frequencies so I think the transition will be quite smooth.

• Like 1

It seems like it will happen at least some point down the road: https://seekingalpha.com/news/3273003-sprint-chief-claure-enormous-synergies-t-mobile-merger?ifp=0

When your CEO starts publicly discussing it, they are working on something.

CEO?? the Chairman has been discussing since he bought Sprint.  Unless any official news about the merger is out, nothing to further discuss.  Stop beating a dead horse. 

Actually, none of this has anything to do with what I pointed out as false in your statement. Let me remind you of what you said and bold out the part that is just absolutely, 100% wrong.

This conversation isn't about T-mobile. So don't bring them in. If you don't like Sprint then walk the fuck away. No one will miss you in Overland Park.

Sprint is trying very hard to attract and retain customers. Your last sentence is just flat out wrong.
  • Like 3

CEO?? the Chairman has been discussing since he bought Sprint.  Unless any official news about the merger is out, nothing to further discuss.  Stop beating a dead horse. 

It isn't a dead horse now that you basically have all four officials talking about it. Furthermore, if you are an investor, this is when things get going. The stock price is up over 1% today, when the rest of the industry is down because of these remarks after the closing bell yesterday. And official news is definitely news that comes out of the mouth of a CEO at a tech conference in Miami. I do not get the hostility of talking about a process, especially when the person this thread is named after is giving the remarks. As much as I love the thought of 4 competitors for the sake of competition, it seems like in the end we will see a merger.

• Like 1

I do not think they would change guidance heading into a merger as that should help increase their asking price if they are the seller. If they are the buyer, then they would still be able to tout B41 as a major strength as a capacity carrier. I do think they would be able to have one hell of a network if they combine with T-Mobile if the merger was handled correctly. However, I personally enjoy the competition we have right now as I think all carriers are firing on all cylinders to retain and gain customers, it's just that T-Mobile and Sprint have been driving the majority of the competition right now.

It isn't a dead horse now that you basically have all four officials talking about it. Furthermore, if you are an investor, this is when things get going. The stock price is up over 1% today, when the rest of the industry is down because of these remarks after the closing bell yesterday. And official news is definitely news that comes out of the mouth of a CEO at a tech conference in Miami. I do not get the hostility of talking about a process, especially when the person this thread is named after is giving the remarks. As much as I love the thought of 4 competitors for the sake of competition, it seems like in the end we will see a merger.

The stock has been down the past 2 weeks, Marcelo speaking in Miami has no impact on today's stock performance as evident with the 1% increase, trading volume is under average level.  Not to mention Tmo stock is down today, not up!

Just because any time there's a "news" article about a merger, does not mean it's news.  Masa has been talking about this even before Marcelo ran Sprint, and Marcelo is not calling any M&A shots.  It's not a process when it's been in the "news" since 2013/14, it's speculating.  Like I said, until there is a news release from Sprint or Tmobile outlining any M&A for the two companies, we are beating a dead horse.  At this point, Trump has better chance of getting impeached than a Sprint and Tmobile merger.  

Edited by Hmight
  • Like 1

Like I said, until there is a news release from Sprint or Tmobile outlining any M&A for the two companies, we are beating a dead horse. At this point, Trump has better chance of getting impeached than a Sprint and Tmobile merger.

Well I certainly won't disagree with you there. But I wouldn't say we are necessarily beating a dead horse. This horse is very much alive since the CEOs are talking. If it was just analysts and Wall Street speaking, then yes it would be a dead horse. After the it became clear it would not pass through the prior time, I think many were beating a dead horse when it was clear nothing would be done. Now, I think within the next year we will certainly see some action in this arena. Besides this, there really is not much happening other than Tidal and the LTE rollout, which quite frankly isn't news.

Does Qualcomm have a gigabit LTE capable chip right now? If not, it doesn’t surprise me that Apple won’t have one in the iPhone 8. Specs for the device were more than likely finalized last month, and it will be going into mass-production mid- to late-July. If there wasn’t a capable chip from Qualcomm at these times, then Apple certainly wouldn’t have designed the iPhone 8 around one.

-Anthony

Does Qualcomm have a gigabit LTE capable chip right now? If not, it doesn’t surprise me that Apple won’t have one in the iPhone 8. Specs for the device were more than likely finalized last month, and it will be going into mass-production mid- to late-July. If there wasn’t a capable chip from Qualcomm at these times, then Apple certainly wouldn’t have designed the iPhone 8 around one.

-Anthony

Qualcomm yes the Snapdragon 835.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Qualcomm yes the Snapdragon 835.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ah yes that is correct. Forgot about that. The 835 is probably what Apple is using in the iPhone 8, but like others said, it will probably be limited to whatever the Intel modem is capable of, so as to not offer devices that drastically out-perform another on a different network. They did the same thing with the iPhone 7 by limiting the Qualcomm devices because the Intel modems weren't as powerful.

-Anthony

Maybe Apple has been testing Iphones with gigabits chips and the battery performance sucks. 

From the article that kg4icd posted, though I may have read it incorrectly, it stated that Apple wants two suppliers of chipsets (Qualcomm and Intel) and only Qualcomm can deliver at this time. 

My interpretation of the article is that Apple will not move forward without having two suppliers.  I believe Apple should press Intel's development team to catch up or fall to the wayside.  Providers are in the beginning stages of delivering gigabit speeds.  Should a phone that is not scheduled for release until Fall of 2017 not be able to provide that?

• Like 1

Actually, none of this has anything to do with what I pointed out as false in your statement. Let me remind you of what you said and bold out the part that is just absolutely, 100% wrong.

Sprint is trying very hard to attract and retain customers. Your last sentence is just flat out wrong.

I never said they were not trying to acquire new customers. I did say they wouldn't miss you, specifically. There is no need to read into something that isn't there.

Reaching out to new customers within their existing footprint and even increasing subscriber count in areas within that existing footprint where the network is particularly strong is a very attainable goal. But in their weaker areas they are bound to lose customers here and there. So long as they make up for that in their better served areas they will be just fine.

But there are areas that simply are not served well by them and that isn't likely to change anytime soon. So for those people complaining sometimes simply isn't the answer. Switching might just make more sense. Simple as that.

As I've said many times before, Sprint service here where I live and work is particularly strong. No issue for me.

• Like 1

I never said they were not trying to acquire new customers. I did say they wouldn't miss you, specifically. There is no need to read into something that isn't there.

I'm sure Marcello disagrees with you. Every customer counts at this point. Back then, Sprint was willing to let you walk from a contact free of charge if you roamed excessively. Today, they just cut you off from roaming instead of losing you.
  • Like 1

Nice to see Sprint's progress in specific markets. Especially NOLA, which has been historically "challenged" for Sprint.

KwtuEOUm.jpgTdeT0mmm.jpg

cWgHP3dm.jpgL4bIWTQm.jpg

Where do those screenshots come from?

• Like 1