Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Looks like Andy Rubin's magical Halo device will work on Sprint.

Pretty nice device, but no 3.5 headphone jack, Seriously!? Why?

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/30/15711170/essential-phone-announcement-price-android-andy-rubin

Looking forward to seeing this on Sprint.

Hopefully WiFi Calling is supported on it. At least there's a "My Sprint" App for BYOD now.

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing this on Sprint.

Hopefully WiFi Calling is supported on it. At least there's a "My Sprint" App for BYOD now.

Don't look too far ahead yet. Sprint could ultimately decide not to support this phone on their network.

Sprint's strict BYOD policy is very off-putting.

Don't look too far ahead yet. Sprint could ultimately decide not to support this phone on their network.

Ruben already mentioned support for all major US carriers.

We should get 100% confirmation tonight when he does his live presentation.

Yes, in DC, my S8 connected to 2 B25 carriers.

Awesome is anyone seeing this on any phone other than the S8?

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

Sprint has confirmed support for it. (https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/is-andy-rubin-android-founder-essential-phone-well-essential/)

"Spokesmen for Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint declined to comment about carrying the phone, although Sprint and T-Mobile confirmed it would work on their networks. AT&T couldn't immediately be reached for comment."

• Like 5

Sooo when are they announcing this merger?

Nobody knows.  But I know I made a merger with yo momma last night.

AJ

• Like 7

Awesome is anyone seeing this on any phone other than the S8?

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

I noticed that on my G6 this evening here in DC. I'll try and grab a screenshot.

• Like 2

SPRINT AND OPEN MOBILE SEEK FCC CONSENT TO THE ASSIGNMENT AND TRANSFER OF CONTROL OF LICENSES AND AN INTERNATIONAL SECTION 214 AUTHORIZATION IN PUERTO RICO AND THE U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-17-527A1.pdf

Sprint PR Spectrum LLC, Nextel of Puerto Rico, Inc., Sprint Puerto Rico Holdings LLC, and SprintCom, Inc., as subsidiaries of Sprint Corporation (collectively, Sprint), and PRWireless, Inc., d/b/a Open Mobile (Open Mobile, and together with Sprint, the Applicants), have filed applications pursuant to Sections 214 and 310(d) of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended,1 seeking Commission consent to a multi-step transaction resulting in the assignment or transfer of control of licenses and authorizations to a new limited liability company, PR Wireless PR, LLC (PRW). At the conclusion of the transaction, PRW would be jointly owned (indirectly) by Sprint and Open Mobile. Sprint would have a 68 percent economic interest and a 55 percent voting interest, and Open Mobile would have a 32 percent economic interest and a 45 percent voting interest in PRW. Sprint would have majority control of the governing Board of Directors and the owners of Open Mobile would be represented on the Board and continue to be active in the management and operations of the company.

Open Mobile would assign its two Personal Communications Service (PCS) licenses, one Lower 700 MHz C Block license, microwave licenses, and an international Section 214 authorization to PRW. In addition, all of Open Mobile’s operations, including wireless network assets, employees, retail stores, and retail subscribers in Puerto Rico, would be transferred to PRW as part of the proposed transaction. Sprint would contribute seven 1.9 GHz PCS licenses, constituting all of its 1.9 GHz spectrum covering Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands (USVI), two Broadband Radio Service (BRS) licenses and its interest as a spectrum lessee under a third BRS license (the BRS licenses and spectrum leasing arrangement provide coverage only in Puerto Rico), and microwave licenses to Sprint PR Spectrum LLC, as a wholly-owned subsidiary of PRW. In addition, Sprint would convey all of the related wireless network assets, employees, retail stores, and prepaid subscribers to PRW, and would pay a revenue-based fee to PRW for managing all post-paid subscribers.

• Like 1

Don't really get the buzz about that phone.  It's expensive, has the same hardware as other flagships.  Ok, has a unique screen layout which is cool, but a lot of phones are coming out with unique features like LGs 2nd screen, HTC squeeze, Samsung edge display, Blackberry keyboards, etc.  It isn't modular which I have been hearing about but is going to be accessory "rich", which hasn't panned out at all for ah lets say oh Motorola!  Some other phones have accessories like some older Windows Nokia phones and the G5 which didn't help them at all.

• Like 2

The materials the phone is made out of for 1, titanium which is stronger then steel while having the same weight as aluminum and ceramic instead of plastic.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

Don't really get the buzz about that phone. It's expensive, has the same hardware as other flagships.

I agree completely. What happens when Essential goes out of business, like LeEco or Nexbit? Or gives us crappy support like Huawei or OPO?

This offers nothing over the Galaxy S8 at a similar price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by WiseGuy321
  • Like 2

I agree completely. What happens with Essential goes out of business, like LeEco or Nexbit? Or gives us crappy support like Huawei or OPO?

This offers nothing over the Galaxy S8 at a similar price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps Essential could rename itself LeEssential. Or be bought by Razer and fade off into oblivion.

I'm thinking this Essential is going to fail just the same as the companies you mentioned. I wonder why with all the tech startups, one of these companies cannot come up with a truly revolutionary phone, especially as I've seen many great specs of concepts that regular online forum participants have made that look much better than anything currently bring made by both the major manufacturers and these startups.

It is always a quandary on data services and providing those to customers.  We all know about the complaints of poor service but when a solution is offered, it is frowned upon. 

Either these customers will have to decide that their phone data services will be poor and stop complaining about data connections or allow the companies to provide the services they need regardless for the appearance. 

• Like 6