Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

This leaves Dish unlikely to be sought after by Verizon now, opening up more chance for a merger with T-Mobile. However, I would love for Softbank to go after both Dish and T-Mobile at this point, something which unless Trump and the new FCC administration have taken a major liking to Masa, very unlikely will happen, let alone the Sprint/T-Mobile merger possibility. Although, I'd be really supportive of it

I think it great Softbank when after Dish. To use Dish Spectrum on Sprints network.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think it great Softbank when after Dish. To use Dish Spectrum on Sprints network.

I like the idea too, even if Softbank were to just get Dish and not T-Mobile, especially as Sprint could use more midband spectrum. However, a Sprint/Dish/T-Mobile tie-up would be the ultimate deal, with absolutely plenty of spectrum for many years of really excellent service capability.

I like the idea too, even if Softbank were to just get Dish and not T-Mobile, especially as Sprint could use more midband spectrum. However, a Sprint/Dish/T-Mobile tie-up would be the ultimate deal, with absolutely plenty of spectrum for many years of really excellent service capability.

I'm sure a Sprint/Dish/T-Mobile tie up will require the newly formed company to divest a lot of spectrum.

I'm sure a Sprint/Dish/T-Mobile tie up will require the newly formed company to divest a lot of spectrum.

Perhaps, but maybe not. I've been wondering how Masa seems so confident about the T-Mobile US merger possibility with Sprint, but he seems to think it has a good chance to happen, and I doubt Sprint is going to give up any of its spectrum, nor T-Mobile. Maybe if Dish gets involved, they'll keep what they got out of the 600mhz auction, so that Sprint/T-Mobile can have a strong 15x15 minimum on low-band nationwide spectrum, along with getting back the AWS-3 spectrum they gave up in the tax incentive loss, so Sprint/T-Mobile could have a strong mid-band portfolio, but possible dump the AWS-4 spectrum. That is the only thing that I can see them giving up, in terms of spectrum.

I have a love & hate relationship with Verizon now. Although Im a Sprint customer, I want to be Verizon's, too. sooner or later.

They bring a healthy competition.

Just looking at the mmWaves for my city, nyc.. ????

Amazing, it got me excited????.

Hopefully in the later future, Sprint will respond with something awesome too.

Perhaps, but maybe not. I've been wondering how Masa seems so confident about the T-Mobile US merger possibility with Sprint, but he seems to think it has a good chance to happen, and I doubt Sprint is going to give up any of its spectrum, nor T-Mobile. Maybe if Dish gets involved, they'll keep what they got out of the 600mhz auction, so that Sprint/T-Mobile can have a strong 15x15 minimum on low-band nationwide spectrum, along with getting back the AWS-3 spectrum they gave up in the tax incentive loss, so Sprint/T-Mobile could have a strong mid-band portfolio, but possible dump the AWS-4 spectrum. That is the only thing that I can see them giving up, in terms of spectrum.

15x15 will not be everywhere. Their are cities that will only be 10x10. Small amount can do 20x20. Some cities might have enough for 2 carriers.

Son seems to be the only one that wants a T-Mobile merger. Unfortunately for him, DT doesn't seem so hot on that idea. If you ask me, Son may just end up selling his interests to America Movil, Telefonica, or another large international telecom company. Son seems dead set on making a move...any move...and quick, even if he doesn't get a merger. Edited by greenbastard
  • Like 1

15x15 will not be everywhere. Their are cities that will only be 10x10. Small amount can do 20x20. Some cities might have enough for 2 carriers.

Are you referring to AWS-3? I'm unsure if Dish's AWS-3 spectrum is all 10x10 minimum or 15x15 minimum. If that is what you mean, then yes it seems that way, but I had thought the AWS-3 spectrum was 15x15 Dish had received.

Regarding the 600mhz, between Dish and T-Mobile, it would become a minimum of 15x15, from T-Mobile's current 10x10.

Son seems to be the only one that wants a T-Mobile merger. Unfortunately for him, DT doesn't seem so hot on that idea. If you ask me, Son may just end up selling his interests to America Movil, Telefonica, or another large international telecom company. Son seems dead set on making a move...any move...and quick, even if he doesn't get a merger.

We'll have to see what happens, but hopefully he won't sell to Movil, as that would be very bad for Sprint subscribers. Straight Talk, which is owned by Movil, has really bad cs from what I've heard.

I've got a big box that says it's an ONT on the side of my house with battery backup and it's plugged in, so I assume it's FTTH - copper wouldn't need all that, no?

ONT= Optical Network Terminal so yes FTTH

• Like 1

We'll have to see what happens, but hopefully he won't sell to Movil, as that would be very bad for Sprint subscribers. Straight Talk, which is owned by Movil, has really bad cs from what I've heard.

Movil in Mexico isn't terrible. They have the best network and also decent customer service. Straight Talk seems to be an anomaly in their portfolio. Everywhere else in the world Movil acts like Verizon. They are the gold standard in Mexico.

For whatever reason, they decide to act like Comcast customer service here in the US. But it's profitable so Slim doesn't care.

Movil in Mexico isn't terrible. They have the best network and also decent customer service. Straight Talk seems to be an anomaly in their portfolio. Everywhere else in the world Movil acts like Verizon. They are the gold standard in Mexico.

For whatever reason, they decide to act like Comcast customer service here in the US. But it's profitable so Slim doesn't care.

As much I despise John Legere, I think Sprint needs to go the "revolutionary route" John Legere used with improving Sprint. Granted, I don't credit Legere with being original by doing this as so many others seem to do, them going so far as to praise him as a visionary for doing something others have done before. Still, the concept he used ought to be done for Sprint to some regard, in making Sprint "cool". I think a name change for Sprint is important, but first Sprint either needs to deploy and densify, or get T-Mobile. Then I think Sprint ought to change its name to a fun, exciting, yet also professional-sounding Japanese word and maybe take an advertising approach with youthful Asian influence that captures the anime/manga/ video game crowd. In this sense, Sprint's ventures into Pokemon could actually become useful. This revolutionary rebranding of Sprint done in this way, at least will be professional and respectful, unlike the uncarrier.

The other thing I think Sprint ought to do, is to bring back Malcolm Mc Dowell and James Earl Jones. Those two bring class to Sprint and will help in the part of marketing towards the older and intellectual crowd. The commercials they were in for Sprint some years ago were great. Also, Sprint could aim for the business market by bringing back the guy who did the commercials back years ago who looked like a detective on a television nighttime drama. He was used to advertise Sprint's Fair & Flexible Plan, and if brought back to help Sprint advertise to business, they should use him alongside Paul. By doing these three different marketing strategies under a cool-sounding, yet professional new name, it ought to help Sprint's reputation heal, and in the case they merge with T-Mobile, bring dignity back to T-Mobile in casting away the crass rudeness of John Legere's image from the company.

Bad grammar. Absurdly long posts. Incessant obsession with things that will never happen and/or make zero sense. Come on, guys, get it together! Get offended if you like , I'm still right. Stay on track. Be intelligent. Use proper grammar. Make sense.

• Like 15

John Legere > Marcelo Claure

Sprint doesn't need a name change, but I wouldn't be mad if "Nextel" was brought back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

John Legere > Marcelo Claure

Sprint doesn't need a name change, but I wouldn't be mad if "Nextel" was brought back.

Nextel isn't a bad name in itself and I thought was one of the better names for wireless carriers in the past. However, there are a few problems with bringing back the name.

One being that Nextel is associated with what is widely considered to have caused a vast amount of damage to Sprint and its reputation. The other issue, is in part of the name of Nextel, that being "tel", since wireless is so much about data nowadays more than the telephone. I've been reading plenty of articles recently, where writers are claiming death to the smartphone. Not meaning literally against the devices themselves, but to the name of them, what they are called "smartphones", along with various suggestions at renaming them to be more computer-sounding, as these devices are much more computers than they are phones nowadays.

The mint Charlie Ergen will want for his company is going to dwarf all but the biggest players. If no one caves and buys him out, he will continue to squirm, hold and acquire spectrum. He's running a long, long hand

Are you referring to AWS-3? I'm unsure if Dish's AWS-3 spectrum is all 10x10 minimum or 15x15 minimum. If that is what you mean, then yes it seems that way, but I had thought the AWS-3 spectrum was 15x15 Dish had received.

Regarding the 600mhz, between Dish and T-Mobile, it would become a minimum of 15x15, from T-Mobile's current 10x10.

I was talking about 600mhz.

I'd rather see the name SunCom come back before Nextel, when I think of Nextel I am reminded by those annoying ass people using PTT/chirp in sit down restaurants, cringe!  

Nextel isn't a bad name in itself and I thought was one of the better names for wireless carriers in the past. However, there are a few problems with bringing back the name.

One being that Nextel is associated with what is widely considered to have caused a vast amount of damage to Sprint and its reputation. The other issue, is in part of the name of Nextel, that being "tel", since wireless is so much about data nowadays more than the telephone. I've been reading plenty of articles recently, where writers are claiming death to the smartphone. Not meaning literally against the devices themselves, but to the name of them, what they are called "smartphones", along with various suggestions at renaming them to be more computer-sounding, as these devices are much more computers than they are phones nowadays.

Sprint doesn't need a rebrand.

Instead, it needs much better branding for coverage investments it makes. For example, if a DAS or other Coverage enhancing equipment is deployed, make the Sprint branding much more visible on it. Also, put up signs/stickers on locations that have Sprint equipment for Coverage.

When customers on other carriers aren't getting good reception in an area, and they notice that Sprint has a posted sign which says something like "You'd be getting better coverage here if you switched to Sprint", they might reconsider their current choice of wireless carrier.  :)

• Like 7

I'd rather see the name SunCom come back before Nextel, when I think of Nextel I am reminded by those annoying ass people using PTT/chirp in sit down restaurants, cringe!

I had Nextel on a few occasions. At the first try of it, I thought the VQ was the best, and I tested the sound quality by listening to a music recording over the phone. Nextel was the only wireless carrier at the time where the music was as crisp and clear over the signal as a landline. The other wireless carriers sounded like garbling radio static. The only reason I didn't end up keeping Nextel, was that I was wanting a decent (for that time) wireless internet service, which led me to T-Mobile and their Sidekick device.

The second try with Nextel was somewhere during the reallocation process or the merger talks, I don't remember exactly when. However, the service was really bad then, much worse than it had been the first try, which the first try wasn't bad at all, if only it had somewhat better data. I got tons of dropped calls when testing it with a friend who lived in the same building as I did. Every time I stood up from a chair I had in my living room, the call would drop within 5 to 10 seconds later. My friend and I tested this several times, which each time it did the same thing, other than when I remained seated.

The only other thing I didn't like about Nextel was their slogan. Nextel.Done However, the sales people there at the stores I went to were by far the best.

Here's an idea:  How about NexCom.   or Nex-T-Com.   Since it's all about communications whether it's Texting, Talking or Data... Kinda has a little T-Mobile in it as well as Sprint / Nextel.   Sprint still owns the right to Nextel and it's logo....Just some new name ideas.    I agree with others though... got to bring the network together first (still not quite there yet) or wait for merger before changing names.   

Sprint doesn't need a rebrand.

Instead, it needs much better branding for coverage investments it makes. For example, if a DAS or other Coverage enhancing equipment is deployed, make the Sprint branding much more visible on it. Also, put up signs/stickers on locations that have Sprint equipment for Coverage.

When customers on other carriers aren't getting good reception in an area, and they notice that Sprint has a posted sign which says something like "You'd be getting better coverage here if you switched to Sprint", they might reconsider their current choice of wireless carrier. :)

I completely understand your perspective, RedSpark, and you make very valid points. However, I think this may be one area we disagree, with respect. I believe you that customers would be better served by having a higher quality wireless experience, and everything you've suggested from deployment, density, spending, etc. are all great ideas Sprint ought to be doing/changing.

The problem though which I share the same viewpoint with those mentioning Sprint's past reputation, is with a rebrand, the company can start fresh, without the stigma in the mind of people who still are stuck on the old Sprint and whatever negative experiences they remember having that makes them think and sometimes say really bad things about the company.

Still, a name change alone isn't enough. They need a complete rebranding in advertising, etc. to get through to customers that this is a whole new opportunity for the company based of course on the most important aspect of them all, network improvements. I would like to see them do a Domino's-style advertisement campaign at first, directly addressing those people who "hate" on Sprint with a positive message meant hopefully to give them another try, including those who aren't so negative towards Sprint, but simply are skeptical.

I completely understand your perspective, RedSpark, and you make very valid points. However, I think this may be one area we disagree, with respect. I believe you that customers would be better served by having a higher quality wireless experience, and everything you've suggested from deployment, density, spending, etc. are all great ideas Sprint ought to be doing/changing.

The problem though which I share the same viewpoint with those mentioning Sprint's past reputation, is with a rebrand, the company can start fresh, without the stigma in the mind of people who still are stuck on the old Sprint and whatever negative experiences they remember having that makes them think and sometimes say really bad things about the company.

Still, a name change alone isn't enough. They need a complete rebranding in advertising, etc. to get through to customers that this is a whole new opportunity for the company based of course on the most important aspect of them all, network improvements. I would like to see them do a Domino's-style advertisement campaign at first, directly addressing those people who "hate" on Sprint with a positive message meant hopefully to give them another try, including those who aren't so negative towards Sprint, but simply are skeptical.

With all do respect it seems like you're in a dream. I would love a rebrand and so would most. Financially it's not a few thousand, its millions. The worst part is the wireless industry is so aggressive the negative press would absolutely slaughter sprint. Can't you hear JL and everyone saying "you can change the name but the network is the same"

I fully agree at some point sprint needs a rebrand but that can't some until the network is in a much better position it's just money wasted that could have been put somewhere more useful. As mentioned early sprint needs to advertise more where the network is strong, increase advertising in areas as the network gets better. --- meaningful advertising directed at that specific local market... As in Sprint has the fastest speed/coverage etc here in this specific market vs whoever was the top.

--- But I do agree with your last part about the domino effect

• Like 2