Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I have to subscribe to read that article.  What does the article talk about?

merger between T-Mobile & Sprint the owner of Softbank just talked about this 5 hrs ago inbox me I screened shot the whole thing & I will email it to you 

That is pretty awesome. I've been waiting for this. Doesn't ATL only have 30MHz on PCS?

I don't know the answer. Going by Spectrum Omega they don't have the C block. I believe it's A block.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

That is pretty awesome. I've been waiting for this. Doesn't ATL only have 30MHz on PCS?

Spectrum omega shows A,G,D,B blocks in Atlanta

I would rather see Sprint become Softbank USA. After the network improves even more.

I would much rather see 4 national carriers instead of 3.  Just the thought about how much divestiture in spectrum that needs to be made in order to get this to past regulators is staggering.  I would much rather see Sprint partner up with a cable company or something.

• Like 8

I would rather see Sprint become Softbank USA. After the network improves even more.

At one point long time ago, this was discussed here on S4GRU where I was in agreement of this, until one of the members brought up a very good point about Americans not taking well to the name "bank" as part of a wireless carrier's name.

Windstream sucks. are you sure it's actually fiber to home -or- fiber to 'almost' home?

I've got a big box that says it's an ONT on the side of my house with battery backup and it's plugged in, so I assume it's FTTH - copper wouldn't need all that, no?

Americans not taking well to the name "bank" as part of a wireless carrier's name.

Well, they aren't taking the name "Sprint" very well at this point either. The sad truth is that Sprint has become synonymous with "slow" and "bad". The Sprint Spark era didn't help matters either. So many Android phones incorrectly showed 1 bar of signal anytime the phone fell below -99 RSRP. That left a lot of people with a bad taste in their mouth.

A total rebranding may be in order. At the very least, Sprint needs to change their logo, font, color, slogan and anything that remotely ties them to the 2011-2015 era.

Edited by greenbastard
  • Like 2

I wouldn't even waste the money on a rebrand. It would get slaughtered. The press and critics would say same people same network quality as yesterday and don't fall for a new name.

Once the network gets to s certain point with b41 and ca and so forth then I would be all for it. Only way to rebrand now and sell it is another company merging or buying sprint.

Well, they aren't taking the name "Sprint" very well at this point either. The sad truth is that Sprint has become synonymous with "slow" and "bad". The Sprint Spark era didn't help matters either. So many Android phones incorrectly showed 1 bar of signal anytime the phone fell below -99 RSRP. That left a lot of people with a bad taste in their mouth.

A total rebranding may be in order. At the very least, Sprint needs to change their logo, font, color, slogan and anything that remotely ties them to the 2011-2015 era.

Open Mobile. Use the name from the Puerto Rico Company they purchased. They have a great logo too!

• Like 2

I completely agree with you, greenbastard. Something needs to be done regarding Sprint's PR perception regarding the negative reputation its past has had on it. I've been promoting the urgency of a name change for Sprint here on S4GRU for a long time, but I question myself if now really is the right time for a name change, and thinking that its probably better they haven't yet changed the name, despite that I believe Sprint eventually needs one.

The problem with the name change happening right now, is that Sprint ought to first deploy and densify, then start seeing great improvement in their reports first, then begin the rebranding process. This all sounds more like its going to be delayed even further though, because according to TmoNews, Masayoshi Son is going to begin pursuing the merger process with T-Mobile, seemingly starting with getting positive signs from Ajit Pai and the others at the FCC, then make his next move.

I know I've been pretty negative about this merger possibility, and in hoping DT gets Dish for T-Mobile, which I still believe is more likely to happen at this point. However, I'm beginning to be a bit more appreciative of Sprint again seeing their recent reports on Lombard, which is very closeby to me and I travel there pretty often. The other thing is, I'm always pretty irritated by John Legere, but his latest attacking of unhappy customers on his Twitter account, which is really is upsetting to me that I'm essentially supporting this by paying for T-Mobile service, has me hoping DT changes its mind about keeping T-Mobile US and sells it to Sprint. At least Marcelo is professional towards customers, rather than acting like a selfish, arrogant bully as Legere does.

I would much rather see 4 national carriers instead of 3. Just the thought about how much divestiture in spectrum that needs to be made in order to get this to past regulators is staggering. I would much rather see Sprint partner up with a cable company or something.

I agree. I think Sprint and a cable company would be good for each other. Even despite how much I despise the cable companies.

Tmobile-sprint-dish. Said company would be able to compete with tradition wired ISPs. This would be my dream. Cable companies are regional, so a tie up with one of them would be really good in some areas and not so exciting for most of the country.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Open Mobile. Use the name from the Puerto Rico Company they purchased. They have a great logo too!

Logo looks nice, 

Open-mobile-logo.jpg

I'm thinking if they ever are going to change the name, then make it reference the main asset they have. Spectrum. But since Charter has a hold on it, I figure maybe something along those lines.

Spectre, Spectracom, Continuum, Gigacom come to mind. Or just leave it since who ever takes over will change it to whatever suits them anyway.

TS

• Like 1

I've got a big box that says it's an ONT on the side of my house with battery backup and it's plugged in, so I assume it's FTTH - copper wouldn't need all that, no?

ya you wouldn't think. windstream is so shady though so you never know with them...

• Like 1

I wouldn't even waste the money on a rebrand. It would get slaughtered. Same people same network don't fall for a new name.

Once the network gets to s certain point with b41 and ca and so forth then I would be all for it. Only way to rebrand now and sell it is another company merging or buying sprint.

Only problem it's not same people. 2011-2014 wasn't Marcelo. So 2015 he was just starting.

Any new name Sprint might change to, if not for Softbank US, I think they ought to drop the "S" from the beginning of the name. However, despite my being in agreement that the word "bank" being odd here in the US, I believe they might change it to that, in order to have naming synergy with the main company.

Only problem it's not same people. 2011-2014 wasn't Marcelo. So 2015 he was just starting.

I am fully aware of that. My point was people would think it's the same. I will edit my post so to reflect thank you

I wouldn't even waste the money on a rebrand. It would get slaughtered. The press and critics would say same people same network quality as yesterday and don't fall for a new name.

I agree. I don't think it makes any sense to do a rebrand.

Rebranding doesn't work as well as it used to. People are now able to see right through it.

Look at Comcast which has tried to become Xfinity. People still call it Comcast... and the bad reputation Comcast has followed it through the "rebrand".

Also, it's very expensive to do a rebrand. That money would be better spent on real CapEx to upgrade the worst performing cell sites, to expand coverage to reduce roaming costs in highly trafficked areas, or to pay down debt.

• Like 3

This leaves Dish unlikely to be sought after by Verizon now, opening up more chance for a merger with T-Mobile. However, I would love for Softbank to go after both Dish and T-Mobile at this point, something which unless Trump and the new FCC administration have taken a major liking to Masa, very unlikely will happen, let alone the Sprint/T-Mobile merger possibility. Although, I'd be really supportive of it