Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Not exactly. But if you are going to look at it that way, why bring up T-Mobile? Just compare it to the Airave, which Sprint has offered for more than a decade.

AJ

I brought up T-Mobile because 2 or so years ago they came out with a box users can put in their homes that helps with coverage both in and out. I was just looking at both from that aspect and that the magic box isn't a gimmick as some tend to think. But you at correct in a entire comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried but failed to roam on WCDMA/HSPA when I was roaming on AT&T LTE last month. Disabling LTE dropped me to VZW CDMA.

Agreed. I tried to go into WCDMA only mode, and I had no signal at all.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 1

Agreed. I tried to go into WCDMA only mode, and I had no signal at all.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

S4GRU do you ever seen Sprint roaming on T-Mobile in the future to?

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

That is true about T-Mobile. Voice quality still isn't great on T-Mobile, one thing I do miss about Sprint for sure is VQ.

That's interesting. T-Mobile runs AMR-WB 12.65 Kbps (HD Voice) on UMTS/LTE, and AMR 12.2 Kbps on EDGE. When on a VoLTE call with Verizon and AT&T subscribers, or any call on 3G or higher with other T-Mobile uses an HD Voice codec. Every other carier in the US uses the same codec.

Sprint on the other hand, uses a weird codec for voice calls, known as "EVRC-NW" and is only compatible with other Sprint users that are also using an "HD Voice" capable handset. When calling any other carrier, audio quality is horrible.

• Like 1

S4GRU do you ever seen Sprint roaming on T-Mobile in the future to?

I've seen fire, and I've seen rain.

I've seen strong signals that I thought would never end.

I've seen lonely times when I could not find a roaming friend.

But I always thought that I'd see Sprint again.

AJ

• Like 2

Sprint on the other hand, uses a weird codec for voice calls, known as "EVRC-NW" and is only compatible with other Sprint users that are also using an "HD Voice" capable handset. When calling any other carrier, audio quality is horrible.

The funny thing is when Im on the phone with a Tmobile and international caller it sounds great! But when im on the phone with Att users it sounds like dogsh*t.

The real issue is zoning. Mobilitie is making the rounds first with communities that will allow 70 ft. tall poles. It seems for now, they are just skipping towns and municipalities that object such tall poles.

Most of the FCC ASR applications I've seen for Mobilitie so far are for 120 ft poles, at least in my region

Most of the FCC ASR applications I've seen for Mobilitie so far are for 120 ft poles, at least in my region

Out west inside urban metros they seem to have wised up and is going mostly for existing infrastructure like light poles and telephone poles though sometimes they try for bs 70' poles in some area.

Out in the boonies though. They really try to push their luck and more often than not get smacked down hard after locals discover what they're doing.

Not very helpful in getting local municipalities on board when 70-120' poles appear out of nowhere.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

(Cross-posting in the DC Premiere thread.)

Finally!  I'm visiting my parents for the weekend, and just happened to open up my SCP log because I noted along the way that one of the 3G-only sites is now running LTE.  But what caught my eye in the log was actually the fact that my log now contains three more sites with B41 third carrier!  Braddock Road Metro, Huntington, and Mandarin Oriental all now have B41 third carrier in my log.  :)

- Trip

• Like 6

That's interesting. T-Mobile runs AMR-WB 12.65 Kbps (HD Voice) on UMTS/LTE, and AMR 12.2 Kbps on EDGE. When on a VoLTE call with Verizon and AT&T subscribers, or any call on 3G or higher with other T-Mobile uses an HD Voice codec. Every other carier in the US uses the same codec.

I may not be getting VoLTE or any advanced HDVoice service using the Microsoft Lumia 950xl I have. While some reports I've read say this device is capable of it, for some reason associated with Microsoft not following T-Mobile protocol, this device isn't using it on T-Mobile.

So, I'm left comparing the GSM VQ with Sprint's, which at least from my usage on Sprint, VQ was excellent. Perhaps when I was with Sprint, it wasn't using the codec you mentioned.

I guess what I meant to say, which wasn't clear, is that since AT&T has MFBI implemented, B12 devices will be able to access AT&T LTE on frequencies included in B17. Should have probably wrote it out more clearly in hindsight.

We all know that. B12 has to actually be in the phone to use MFBI.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

Any photos of the 70-120 foot Mobilite poles in the wild?

Yep. Quite a few. The Ohio guys can provide you with some pics of the first airspan ones they found in Ohio.

Out west inside urban metros they seem to have wised up and is going mostly for existing infrastructure like light poles and telephone poles though sometimes they try for bs 70' poles in some area.

Out in the boonies though. They really try to push their luck and more often than not get smacked down hard after locals discover what they're doing.

Not very helpful in getting local municipalities on board when 70-120' poles appear out of nowhere.

To say that "they really try to push their luck" is an understatement - they really try to push the boundary of what is legal: https://event-driven.com/sprint-approved-trial-for-contractor-mobilitie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really it was just two networks, Clearwire dealt with WiMAX. Really even after Sprint bought them there wasn't a whole ton of redundancy, they kept most of that around for B41 LTE. WiMAX was shuttered more to free up the spectrum than to remove redundancy.

Except for more 7 billion sprint invested in the wimax network.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

So, prospects of Sprints 5G...

Will their TDD config change be the light to their 5G deployment?

8T8R gear at with 3xCA, 4x4MIMO, 256QAM and Config 0 is it?  Gets Sprint what to, 897MBps?  Or maybe that 4th carrier to get them past 1Gbps. 

So, prospects of Sprints 5G...

Will their TDD config change be the light to their 5G deployment?

8T8R gear at with 3xCA, 4x4MIMO, 256QAM and Config 0 is it?  Gets Sprint what to, 897MBps?  Or maybe that 4th carrier to get them past 1Gbps. 

It was a four years ago using outdated Nokia tech that they demonstrated 2.6Gpbs  in a lab test using 120mhz spectrum in a  8T8R setting . So Nokia and the others network companies have come a long way since that time. the new tech is 64T64R with massive MIMO so Sprint won't have a problem breaking over 1Gbps  using only  60mhz of 2.5GHZ spectrum. 

Sprint problem is not the tech or Spectrum, basically is $$$$$$. If they had not money and no the debt problems the network would be at 60k 2.5hgz macro sites and over 25k small cells by now with planning to deploy the 64T64R radios this Fall.

I'm still very skeptical/doubtful on a Sprint/T-Mobile merger, though one thing I've found interesting lately is the lack of attacks between the two companies recently, no back and forth Twitter matches between Claure and Legere either.

i see tmobile merging with a cable provider or dish

• Like 2

With all these small cells popping up, how will sprint handle the backhaul?  fibers will be expensive.  Verizon and att have large network of fibers installed already.  Sprint and Tmobile will be not able to compete when 5g arrive.  Even the cable companies have more fibers close to premise than Sprint or tmobile.  Any idea how Sprint approaches this problem?

With all these small cells popping up, how will sprint handle the backhaul?  fibers will be expensive.  Verizon and att have large network of fibers installed already.  Sprint and Tmobile will be not able to compete when 5g arrive.  Even the cable companies have more fibers close to premise than Sprint or tmobile.  Any idea how Sprint approaches this problem?

They use whatever is readily available. Sprint has a slight advantage over Tmobile because they can use 2.5 for backhaul. But generally speaking they use whatever the lowest cost vs performance.

I guess my concern is:  will Sprint be at a disadvantage in term of cost when it comes to 5g because they will need lots of fibers since verizon and att have been laying fibers for years?

I guess my concern is:  will Sprint be at a disadvantage in term of cost when it comes to 5g because they will need lots of fibers since verizon and att have been laying fibers for years?

Unless anyone has the fiber muscles of Verizon, ATT, or cable providers, everyone will need a lot of fiber build out for 5G.  Sprint can use spectrum as backhaul for now, but eventually fiber build out will be needed.  Softbank is toying with providing satellite backhaul with their investments.  I don't know how will this work or how feasible this is, but fiber backhaul is the reason why many people think a merge with a wireline service (cable) is inevitable. 

Unless anyone has the fiber muscles of Verizon, ATT, or cable providers, everyone will need a lot of fiber build out for 5G.  Sprint can use spectrum as backhaul for now, but eventually fiber build out will be needed.  Softbank is toying with providing satellite backhaul with their investments.  I don't know how will this work or how feasible this is, but fiber backhaul is the reason why many people think a merge with a wireline service (cable) is inevitable. 

I know funding is tight and I'm not trying to say I sprint should have their cake and eat it too but...

Is there a reason Sprint doesn't just slowly start to run their own back haul? Like get a crew or two going and working on it slowly? From tower to tower and eventually start to have their own fiber backbone? Like they say they're being surgical on how they spend CapEx to deploy the network in the future. Couldn't this same logic be applied to slowly running their own fiber back haul? Maybe it would take years (probably more like decades) to finish but I'd imagine it would eventually pay for it's self in the long run?

I seem to at least think that would be way more profitable in the long term than spending money on Tidal or pokemon go

Edited by sleet