Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Really there's no need to attack each other. The customers they want are from the big 2. That's where Sprint and T-Mobile will get their customer adds.

I agree. I don't like seeing CEOs attacking each other verbally, whether its on Twitter or wherever else. The market will tell for itself what customers prefer.

I've been back on T-Mobile for around a couple of months now, and haven't had any network issues using the Microsoft Lumia 950xl. Considering its an older smartphone that doesn't even have all the latest technical features T-Mobile supports, I'm pretty impressed, especially compared to my experiences with T-Mobile in the past. Although, I never left T-Mobile because of the network, as the price made up for the few network issues I noticed. The main reason I left a few times, was due to smartphone pre-order issues. I won't have to worry about that happening again though, since I'm sticking with ordering only unlocked devices from now on.

However, my opinion about John Legere still is the same as its been for the past few years. I just can't seem to like the guy, despite that he's done some things lately that have impressed me. He does good things, only to ruin it either with unfair attacks against his competitors, such as some of the awful things he's said about Marcelo Claure. Yet the other day while I was reading through a bit of John Legere's Twitter account, he called someone a liar.

I'm someone who highly values honesty, and I am an extremely honest person. So, accusations like that of lying really upset me, regardless of who it is being targeted. Still, it isn't enough for me to switch away from T-Mobile. I try looking at the company as separately from John Legere as I can, whenever he says something very offensive.

You guys say these things. Sprint can't compete. Yet they still do. You cite people leaving for Verizon, but dismiss people that come back because they don't notice much of a difference in service. The thing is, is that Sprint is less competitive in the things YOU care about. I think it's well proven now that just because you extrapolate your feelings across the entire market does not make it everyone's feelings. Because Sprint still continues along.

I have had a business line on Verizon since 2010. I have used VZW extensively all over the country. During that time, at some points the experience on VZW was vastly better. However, all my use in 2017, Sprint and VZW data quality/throughput speed have never been closer. I have more instances where Sprint is faster, Sprint is similar to VZW speeds, or where Sprint is still way more than fast enough (even if slower) than ever before. Some of you act like Sprint is in the middle of its worst days. I'd argue they are in the midst of their best in the 4G era. They just aren't where we wish'd they'd be.

Verizon has always had more coverage in rural areas. Now Tmo has some more than they used to and wants to do more. That's great. But obviously 50 million people aren't too concerned with simultaneous voice and rural coverage. Otherwise Sprint would have not existed 5 years ago.

It's hard to fathom, but there are all different kinds of consumers than you. And Sprint is a viable choice for millions and millions. Sprint's short term gamble with the few Capex dollars it can muster is all on B41 expansion within existing footprint and get LTE on GMOs. Either that will work or it won't. We'll see.

But VZW is treating Sprint as a competitor. Why don't you?

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 25

That is why I am still a customer. 

I left VZW a while ago cause I had 4GB bucket and Sprint had unlimited data for way cheaper.  Got LTE everywhere I needed, and offered talk/text roaming to the areas I go a few times a year out in the sticks (VZW roaming).  Didn't do TMobile cause they just started their LTE push and had zero roaming in many places, let a lone coverage at my house.

Things have changed these few years.  Sprint has a lot of B41 in the area.  Speeds are still great.  1x800/B26 went live so coverage improved, increased 3G/LTE roaming agreements I now get LTE roaming in those places I go a few times a year.  So even though VZW has unlimited again and TMobile coverage is way better, I still have the lowest bill I can get directly on a major carrier, have service all the time, data all the time, and have improved LTE speeds and coverage.  Been no point for me to change. 

• Like 4

Verizon has always had more coverage in rural areas. 

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

Isn't this where Sprint relies on Verizon's 1x/3g network for roaming?  People probably don't care as much about coverage difference if they can still get a text/call through.  But when Verizon shuts off their 1x/3G network, won't it make Sprint's coverage disadvantage much more noticeable?  

• Like 1

Isn't this where Sprint relies on Verizon's 1x/3g network for roaming?  People probably don't care as much about coverage difference if they can still get a text/call through.  But when Verizon shuts off their 1x/3G network, won't it make Sprint's coverage disadvantage much more noticeable?  

Verizon is set to shutdown its 1X network by December 31, 2019: http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/verizon-to-shut-down-2g-cdma-1x-network-by-end-2019

• Like 2

Verizon is set to shutdown its 1X network by December 31, 2019: http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/verizon-to-shut-down-2g-cdma-1x-network-by-end-2019

Then the next question is will Sprint find reliable regional carriers to roam on when Verizon shuts off their Legacy network, or will Sprint be forced to improve it's native coverage with the limited capex it currently has?
  • Like 1

Then the next question is will Sprint find reliable regional carriers to roam on when Verizon shuts off their Legacy network, or will Sprint be forced to improve it's native coverage with the limited capex it currently has?

I do not think its such a huge factor, and will be less so in another 2 years. Anybody who relies heavily on Verizon roaming would be better served just moving to Verizon.

• Like 2

Perhaps this is Sprint's plan for those affected areas?

Gilat’s Satellite-based Cellular Backhaul Solution Selected by Sprint to Extend LTE Services to Metro Edge and Rural Areas in the US (Oct 26, 2016)

• Like 1

It looks like Sprint will be going with AT&T for LTE roaming. We are already seeing it now. There is talk of some expansion in the coming months/years into Montana as well as the Dakotas although I don't think those decisions have been finalized yet.

• Like 2

What happen to Sprint's CCA plans there seems to be serveral players that never seemed to come online with roaming agreements.

90eda5a6a076db88c4cd2bbbf3681978.jpg

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm hoping Sprint starts to take advantage of more of those rural carriers for Extended LTE (pseudo-native LTE roaming)…

• Like 2

It looks like Sprint will be going with AT&T for LTE roaming. We are already seeing it now. There is talk of some expansion in the coming months/years into Montana as well as the Dakotas although I don't think those decisions have been finalized yet.

Where have you seen/heard this talk?

Where have you seen/heard this talk?

64664be6d5ff6bbf556388032fae07cf.png

74ff49fcedef15845d734b7af8343cf7.png

This was yesterday on 1 tower in the middle of Arizona.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

This was yesterday on 1 tower in the middle of Arizona.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk Pro

How about that... Hopefully AT&T is more reasonable about roaming rates than Verizon was.

How about that... Hopefully AT&T is more reasonable about roaming rates than Verizon was.

They must be, if Sprint is switching to them.  It'd be kind of funny if they had T-Mobile as a roaming partner in the future.  :hee:

Does anyone know if this existing AT&T roaming is in-market, or only outside of Sprint coverage?

• Like 1

They must be, if Sprint is switching to them.  It'd be kind of funny if they had T-Mobile as a roaming partner in the future.  :hee:

Does anyone know if this existing AT&T roaming is in-market, or only outside of Sprint coverage?

Sprint roaming on T-Mobile... We'd never be able to live that one down...

• Like 4

Yeah, lots of LTE roaming already from CCA partners.  Sprint will fill the rest in with VZW/ATT roaming deals. With Sprint roaming on AT&T, they might be working on getting ready to add CCA partners to their coverage who never went with CDMA technology and/or are fully LTE only.  That'll add a lot of roaming partners.

I think it would be great if Sprint shuts down 1x/EVDO on PCS when VZW shuts down CDMA. Should give a boost/strengthen to their PCS coverage.  Lot of sites could boost LTE power and go full 4T4R. Keep 1x800 for legacy and fallback. 

Edited by red_dog007
  • Like 3

What happen to Sprint's CCA plans there seems to be serveral players that never seemed to come online with roaming agreements.

90eda5a6a076db88c4cd2bbbf3681978.jpg

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Many of those partners are on board. Much of what you see in the Midwest, Mid-Atlantic, and pacific coast is from USCC where roaming is live. In Kansas, Oklahoma and Colorado, pseudo-native roaming is live, as it is in South Dakota, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, and North Carolina. 

• Like 4

VoLTE could allow Sprint to roam on other carriers beyond Verizon 1X.  I am beginning to warm to the idea that Sprint's plan for B41 buildout/B41 small cells and LTE at GMO's is a VoLTE play.  Sprint needs ubiquitous in footprint LTE in order to go VoLTE.  It can't turn on VoLTE in any market until there is a strong enough LTE signal over the existing footprint.  

There is no VoLTE fallback for Sprint.  If you start a phone call on VoLTE you will need to stay on it until you travel out of Sprint coverage.  Customers are used to where 3G ends now.  If they suddenly get dropped calls within their normal 3G footprint, it would be a disaster.  Especially in the cities and suburbs.  It's one thing to get dropped on a desolate stretch of interstate between towers in New Mexico.  But not because you drove around the corner to the Panera pick up window in Omaha, Ogden or Oshkosh.

When Sprint goes VoLTE, its roaming partner options become much better.  Sprint knows 1x is played out.  But they have to keep talking it up until they are prepared to talk about VoLTE.  And that will be right before they are ready to do it.

• Like 7

When Sprint goes VoLTE, its roaming partner options become much better.  Sprint knows 1x is played out.  But they have to keep talking it up until they are prepared to talk about VoLTE.  And that will be right before they are ready to do it.

Indeed. I still recall Hesse hyping WiMAX right up until they officially announced that they were launching LTE even though that was one of the worst kept 'secrets' in the industry.

• Like 2

Marcelo's currently visiting SoftBank in Tokyo, Japan:

Another great day @SoftBank in #Tokyo discussing @sprint business with my boss !! Exciting times ahead.

John Legere is currently heading "FAR to the east":

UpUpandAway Goodbye Denver!great meetings , I'm certain I'll be back soon... now I will fly FAR to the east... Happy Thursday!

The FCC's gag order on Auction participants period will expire April 27th (Today):

Merger talks in the wireless industry have been on hold for almost a year because of a government spectrum auction that required participants to avoid negotiating deals with each other. That gag order gets lifted April 27. In addition to making contact with T-Mobile, Sprint also believes it could get overtures from cable companies, such as Comcast Corp., Charter Communications Inc. and Altice NV, that have entered or expressed an interest in the U.S. wireless market, the people said.

Coincidence?

• Like 10