Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I completely agree! All signs show Softbank wants to merge Sprint with T-Mobile, though DT doesn't seem interested in selling T-Mobile at this point, which even if they did, its very unlikely the FCC would approve of the merger.

Besides, DT has a good thing going with T-Mobile right now, and there's no way they're going to want to deal with the mess of integrating those two networks if they were going to buy Sprint. No deal. DT is much more likely to buy Dish and integrate it with T-Mobile, giving T-Mobile plenty of spectrum that should greatly ease its spectrum burdens, particularly in areas where ut really needs the added extra spectrum, such as in the Chicago area.

It is very likely to get approved by the FCC. Have you seen the new FCC chair? He is as free-market as they come, shit I think an ATT/T-mobile merger would get approved at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Which carrier are you on? Aren't you located in Chicago and on AT&T?

I was on AT&T. I'm now trying Verizon. So far, the Verizon network here in the Chicago suburbs has been very good. Although, I'm having issues with the smartphone I have for Verizon ( the Kyocera Duraforce Pro with Sapphire Shield display).There is an issue going on with the brightness keeping adjusting automatically every 10 to 30 minutes or so, despite that I've turned that feature off, along with the relating battery saving features.

It is very likely to get approved by the FCC. Have you seen the new FCC chair? He is as free-market as they come, shit I think an ATT/T-mobile merger would get approved at this point.

I definitely believe if DT decides to sell T-Mobile and Softbank tries to buy it from them, AT&T will make a counter offer, or else look very weak by not trying. Not just weak, but even more defeated by their previous lost attempt, especially as they'd have a real chance this time around, which I agree with you regarding that and the general merger friendly environment now in the government.

The reason I don't believe the FCC would approve of the Sprint/T-Mobile merger, putting aside the issues that maybe wouldn't matter to them so much, a few I've mentioned such as the combined network size, and the scope of the combined spectrum assets. There still remains the issue of a foreign company having that much of an advantage, especially over AT&T and Verizon, both of which have been allegedly favored by the FCC for many years over the smaller carriers.

I think this is why Softbank would have difficulty with their merger ideas. However, we'll see what happens...

Sprint getting out HPUE has to count as a win, right?

Anyway I am hoping this is the checklist for 2017:

Average network speeds increase from 15 to 25 Mbps

VoLTE trials start in earnest with EVS and AMR-WB support

256 QAM and 4x4 MIMO hit the entire network

5G New Radio trials in major cities

Massive MIMO sites start being deployed

Ericsson and Nokia antenna integrated radios become de facto network deployment going forward

Expand LTE to 300 million native POP's.

VoLTE roaming with USCC

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

You literally just wrote my Christmas list.

• Like 1

Lol - so true.

I bet a ATT and VZW buyout would get through.

Now I'm not suggesting that to occur.

That said I do think a tmo and att makes the most sense. But under the current debt load on att's books I don't see it.

• Like 2

Lol - so true.

I bet a ATT and VZW buyout would get through.

Now I'm not suggesting that to occur.

That said I do think a tmo and att makes the most sense. But under the current debt load on att's books I don't see it.

An AT&T merger with Verizon probably would be bordering on fantasy, ????

It is going to be interesting what happens with these merger possibilities once the 600mhz spectrum auction ends. Granted, I'm doubtful of a T-Mobile/Sprint merger, but I know it'll be great for customers of both of those carriers, if it happens. Then again, so would a T-Mobile buyout of Dish.

While I've been suspecting AT&T of buying T-Mobile, I can't really say it'll be good for T-Mobile's customers, other than an improved network quality with added spectrum that is much needed for T-Mobile. However, AT&T's pricing has been ridiculous lately. While I'm happy with them having the first ever postpaid speed-capped data plan I've long been calling for here on S4GRU, I'm really disappointed in how it turned out. Same with AT&T's changes to the more expensive unlimited data plan. Going by that, I'm figuring AT&T would be horrible for T-Mobile's pricing, which I think T-Mobile has done very well with by bringing back the two line for $100, this time tax included, that gets even better with the 20% discount deal going on now.

I don't know if AT&T cares about the consumer mobile market any more.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

It sure doesn't seem they do. After all, while 3mbps is a useable speed for most things, $60 monthly for it is a ripoff! Especially with Cricket only costing $5 more per month with autopay or $10 more per month without autopay yet Cricket provides a much more useful 8mbps. Not to forget the video streaming speedcap at 1.5mbps exclusive to the AT&T speedcap customers that doesn't affect Cricket customers who get to stream video at the full 8mbps, just the same as for website browsing on Cricket.

AT&T might as well merge Cricket in with AT&T and have what I think would be a much better plan scenario, unlimited data plans of the following speedcaps (all usage speedcaps) : 3mbps for $45 monthly 1st line, $30 monthly every additional line. 6mbps for $60 monthly 1st line, $45 monthly every additional line. 9mbps for $75 monthly 1st line, $60 monthly every additional line. On those three plans, unlimited 4G LTE hotspot at those listed throttled speeds, no deprioritizing. Then offer an "ultimate unlimited data plan", limited to five lines per account, no speed throttle, at $90 monthly 1st line, $75 monthly 2nd line, $60 monthly 3rd line, $45 monthly 4th line, $30 monthly 5th line. 30gb per line deprioritization limit, unlimited 3G hotspot with the option for Unlimited 4G hotspot at $15 monthly per line.

I think those plans would be much more reasonable than what AT&T has now, with these plans showing some variety for consumer choice.

It sure doesn't seem they do. After all, while 3mbps is a useable speed for most things, $60 monthly for it is a ripoff! Especially with Cricket only costing $5 more per month with autopay or $10 more per month without autopay yet Cricket provides a much more useful 8mbps. Not to forget the video streaming speedcap at 1.5mbps exclusive to the AT&T speedcap customers that doesn't affect Cricket customers who get to stream video at the full 8mbps, just the same as for website browsing on Cricket.

AT&T might as well merge Cricket in with AT&T and have what I think would be a much better plan scenario, unlimited data plans of the following speedcaps (all usage speedcaps) : 3mbps for $45 monthly 1st line, $30 monthly every additional line. 6mbps for $60 monthly 1st line, $45 monthly every additional line. 9mbps for $75 monthly 1st line, $60 monthly every additional line. On those three plans, unlimited 4G LTE hotspot at those listed throttled speeds, no deprioritizing. Then offer an "ultimate unlimited data plan", limited to five lines per account, no speed throttle, at $90 monthly 1st line, $75 monthly 2nd line, $60 monthly 3rd line, $45 monthly 4th line, $30 monthly 5th line. 30gb per line deprioritization limit, unlimited 3G hotspot with the option for Unlimited 4G hotspot at $15 monthly per line.

I think those plans would be much more reasonable than what AT&T has now, with these plans showing some variety for consumer choice.

Why would ATT kill off their own MVNO Cricket?

Cricket allows ATT to be very nimble without compromising their own brand nor network QoS. All while leaching small numbers from other mvnos and even T-Mobile. Oh not to mention no real risk as all the money is upfront.

Cricket can have higher speeds than the new low cost ATT plan as again it's a tool that helps defend their ATT network yet being faster than what most subscribers get on TMO and Sprint when away from city centers.

The new 3mbps plan on ATT is slow yes. But it's pricing is decent especially if you currently have sprint or TMO in a non upgraded area. Yet you still have a carrier that will finance your new $900 iPhone or Galaxy with zero interest.

Is the plan perfect- hardly. The structure you listed above is great, but not for shareholders. As companies aren't in business to make friends, their goal is to offer a product that sells and makes a profit. I suspect that 3mbps plan will attract many customers.

• Like 1

Cricket allows ATT to be very nimble without compromising their own brand nor network QoS. All while leaching small numbers from other mvnos and even T-Mobile. Oh not to mention no real risk as all the money is upfront.

Cricket can have higher speeds than the new low cost ATT plan as again it's a tool that helps defend their ATT network yet being faster than what most subscribers get on TMO and Sprint when away from city centers.

The new 3mbps plan on ATT is slow yes. But it's pricing is decent especially if you currently have sprint or TMO in a non upgraded area. Yet you still have a carrier that will finance your new $900 iPhone or Galaxy with zero interest. Is the plan perfect- hardly. But companies aren't in business to make friends, their goal is to offer a product that sells and makes a profit. I suspect that 3mbps plan will attract many customers.

I think that plan will as well. My friend said she's going to sign up for the $60 plan as soon as it's available. The average person who isn't doing Speedtests all day don't care. As long as their videos, music and social media are loading at decent times that's all they care about. For them to see unlimited at $60/$65 AND with a carrier that is not Sprint or T-Mobile is icing on the cake. This move was a smart play by AT&T.

The way my friend found out about it was through a email that AT&T sent her. 65893ab9311ef0d8f0cc0345aed2f210.jpg655c41418a8c98aeec34563a49b5f9fd.jpg

• Like 3

I think that plan will as well. My friend said she's going to sign up for the $60 plan as soon as it's available. The average person who isn't doing Speedtests all day don't care. As long as their videos, music and social media are loading at decent times that's all they care about. For them to see unlimited at $60/$65 AND with a carrier that is not Sprint or T-Mobile is icing on the cake. This move was a smart play by AT&T.

The way my friend found out about it was through a email that AT&T sent her. 65893ab9311ef0d8f0cc0345aed2f210.jpg655c41418a8c98aeec34563a49b5f9fd.jpg

I'd actually be shocked if Vzw doesn't follow up with a similar one.

And the majority will never use a hotspot feature.

Heck I don't need 100mbps on my phone. I just want to know I can stream music, podcasts, YouTube and surf the web. With it just working.

I know some do care and that's fine as there are options for that.

If my Sprint phones had a constant 3mbps connection I'd kindly give up the occasional 50-100+ Mbps bursts I get.

• Like 4

I'd actually be shocked if Vzw doesn't follow up with a similar one.

And the majority will never use a hotspot feature.

Heck I don't need 100mbps on my phone. I just want to know I can stream music, podcasts, YouTube and surf the web. With it just working.

I know some do care and that's fine as there are options for that.

If my Sprint phones had a constant 3mbps connection I'd kindly give up the occasional 50-100+ Mbps bursts I get.

I don't need the 50 and 60mbps for my needs but I know that get users on and off the towers faster. I'll be happy with a consistent 10mbps. Even though Verizon has been a lot customer friendly over the past few weeks, I don't see them trying to match in price but maybe in speed caps maybe 8mbps for $60.

• Like 2

The new 3mbps plan on ATT is slow yes. But it's pricing is decent especially if you currently have sprint or TMO in a non upgraded area. Yet you still have a carrier that will finance your new $900 iPhone or Galaxy with zero interest.

Is the plan perfect- hardly. The structure you listed above is great, but not for shareholders. As companies aren't in business to make friends, their goal is to offer a product that sells and makes a profit. I suspect that 3mbps plan will attract many customers.

It is going to be some time to tell if the 3mbps plan will be successful or not. Already though, I've read alot of comments against it, and so much as I support the concept, I'm just not a fan of its execution. I think its too little for too much, especially in contrast with what is being offered at Cricket. However, I do believe the obe success this plan at least is likely to have, is in that its concept could likely will spread to the other carriers, which of course I'll be updating the thread I created for that purpose, with the additional information.

Regarding Cricket, I doubt AT&T will get rid of it and merge plans as I suggested. Just a preference of mine they do this. I'm not a fan of these prepaid brands at all, and I'd rather see them merge as part of the main company owning them. Surely these small brands still do serve some purpose, but it is getting less necessary to have in contrast to what I think could be done better by merging them in with their parent carrier.

One negative thing about the unlimited data plans from AT&T and Verizon is their autopay does not accept use of credit cards. Whereas, T-Mobile's autopay accepts them. Accepting credit cards is a pretty big deal, in my opinion.

One negative thing about the unlimited data plans from AT&T and Verizon is their autopay does not accept use of credit cards. Whereas, T-Mobile's autopay accepts them. Accepting credit cards is a pretty big deal, in my opinion.

One way that people have gotten around this apparently is by activating/linking AutoPay with a checking account as required, but manually making a credit card payment prior to the AutoPay date, which is usually on the Due Date (or just prior to it).

• Like 2

One way that people have gotten around this apparently is by activating/linking AutoPay with a checking account as required, but manually making a credit card payment prior to the AutoPay date, which is usually on the Due Date (or just prior to it).

Interesting idea. Still would be nice if this wasn't needed for the savings. I'm not even that supportive of the autopay concept, unless it can be done by Credit Card or PayPal, similar to a Netflix subscription. Then again, I'm surprised by the massive amount of employees these carriers employ to various customer care roles, when a big part of customer care calls is billing-related. Perhaps this will eliminate many of those jobs, and if cuts are made to the workforce, I'd want rate pricing to reflect that. Otherwise, I don't like the idea of people getting hurt over this losing their jobs to something like this.

• Like 1

AT&T doesn't really care about the wireless division that much anymore because they just want to become a media empire. Regardless  we shouldn't forget how they got here, selling their core product which until now was the wireless network. Verizon and Ma Bell became big money machines because they focused on their core product, something Sprint has been neglecting.

You can't give customers 600 dollars to switch to your carrier while your higher postpaid customers are leaving. Being a budget value carrier is not sustainable long term, and that is why  I think they know and the reason for a merger in the near future.

• Like 1

I'd be curious if the complaints for the 3mbps plan are from phone sluts like us, or everyday average customers.

Called the deathstar today and oddly they said for the prices listed on the two new plans - directv was required. Which I either missed or they aren't fully trained yet.

• Like 1

From what I've heard, you can still pay with Credit Card, just pay your monthly bill before the AutoPay kicks off. 

• Like 1

The guy that just took credit for unlimited plans? 

I noticed Boost Mobile is having a four line unlimited plan deal for $100 monthly, which is pretty good, even with the video streaming limits, which can be upgraded on a per line basis. I figure this is to counter T-Mobile's third line free promo. I wonder if Sprint will do so also.

Incorrect. I have auto-pay enabled with my Chase Sapphire Reserve card. 

(Verizon account)

proof

4b2ad39545.png

2a09a810a7.png

Edited by WiseGuy321
  • Like 1

From what I've heard, you can still pay with Credit Card, just pay your monthly bill before the AutoPay kicks off. 

So wait if you pay off your monthly bill before the Autopay kicks off, what happens to your bank accounts when it sees a $0 balance?  I guess what Verizon and ATT is seeing is that as long as you sign up for Autopay then you will get the $5 discount?

So wait if you pay off your monthly bill before the Autopay kicks off, what happens to your bank accounts when it sees a $0 balance? I guess what Verizon and ATT is seeing is that as long as you sign up for Autopay then you will get the $5 discount?

It shouldn't try to withdraw anything from your account as the balance is $0. That way you still get AutoPay discount while still paying with credit.