Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

For anyone upset with sprint's pricing for current customers-  if they aren't meeting your needs and /or you want to pay more for service/quality, the best thing you can do is in fact just leave.  It doesn't surprise me that Sprint hasn't slashed the price for current subs yet.  Its "wait and see" at this point.  What is the effect on churn?   When he was first hired, Marcelo bragged about being intimately involved in monitoring growth and churn on a day to day basis.  Is he still doing that?  Surely to some degree.  If sprint sees a massive defection, there will be a reaction.   As for the fantasy wireless plans we dream up and our desires to leave, we are still only a tiny % of the sprint population.

It's not a small percentage. 29% of the Postpaid userbase is on a Subsidized Plan, which means there are millions of customers who are no longer eligible for 2 Year Contracts. When these people are told this, they ask about current plan pricing, are told they aren't eligible for any promos to get this and then they look at what another Wireless Carrier offers.

• Like 3

Fact you pay for service you ALWAYS have the right to complain. Or you can switch carriers.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Sure you do. But here on this very site we have limits to such complaining and specifically you and others are pushing it close.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Has anybody tried to sign up for the new plan today?

I did this morning. I got a big fat no go

Yep, same here I tried yesterday and figured I would try again today I'm 0-2...

denied_small.JPG

Sorry couldn't resist.

Read the responses of Sprint and it's CMO, Roger Solé, in this article:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2017/02/16/sprint-returns-fire-ups-its-unlimited-plan/97995290/

There is a section in that article that bugs me and it's this...

The $90 pricing requires you sign up for Sprint's automatic payment system (or AutoPay) and is only temporary, going from now until March 31, 2018. After that date, the price will jump to $60 for one line, $100 for two lines, $160 for four lines and $190 for five lines, though given the competition, it’s likely there will be newer plans when that date comes.

First it bugs me when any carrier states a certain promotion is temporary and gives a date. Like if the date actually means anything. The second part really irks me, it implies that even if the price does goes up at the end of the promotion (date), that there are newer plans one can change to, But in reality once you become a customer, new promotional plans do not apply to existing customers.

I get the math and I appreciate the analysis but I think at this point with this price war going on from all the carriers, maintaining customers should just be as important as attracting new ones for damage control. ...

Once you lose that loyal customer, it will be hard to grab them back which we all know there is a cost for customer acquisition. A paying customer is always better than not having a customer and of course the word that gets spread around from former customers about Sprint service reputation can have a negative effect as well.

It's like a love hate relationship, I too understand the math and the reasons why Sprint may not offer these plans to existing customers, but as a loyal customer of Sprint for years, it surely sucks to see existing (and very loyal) customers are always giving the "No you can't have it" when it comes with some of these plans.

Oh well, it is what it is. No need to complain about it.

• Like 4

We are finally seeing the type of competition we have all been excited for and we finally got it. Competition is great. I am rooting for Sprint, but I agree they are on very thin ice. Their financials are recovering, but they could just as easily slip quickly. They are in a precarious situation. The other three are in a much more stable situation than Sprint. That is the difference that very few have noticed. This move by Verizon was strategic. It is not a gift to everyone. Sprint's ARPU cannot drop much further than it already has to remain on stable financial ground. This will be a very interesting quarter for financial results. Remember if Sprint drops back below $8 a share, then Marcelo's bonus won't happen. I forgot how many days he has to keep the stock above $8 to receive it, but I think we are getting close to it. Marcelo has done miracles for Sprint to be honest. One year ago today the stock was at $2.93 per share. Today it is at $8.85. That is phenomenal. While we all agree CAPEX needs to go up and the network still needs a lot of work compared to Verizon, it takes time. Now we Verizon truly threatening the market that Sprint and T-Mobile were dominating, unlimited at a fair price. 

• Like 2

We are finally seeing the type of competition we have all been excited for and we finally got it. Competition is great. I am rooting for Sprint, but I agree they are on very thin ice. Their financials are recovering, but they could just as easily slip quickly. They are in a precarious situation. The other three are in a much more stable situation than Sprint. That is the difference that very few have noticed. This move by Verizon was strategic. It is not a gift to everyone. Sprint's ARPU cannot drop much further than it already has to remain on stable financial ground. This will be a very interesting quarter for financial results. Remember if Sprint drops back below $8 a share, then Marcelo's bonus won't happen. I forgot how many days he has to keep the stock above $8 to receive it, but I think we are getting close to it. Marcelo has done miracles for Sprint to be honest. One year ago today the stock was at $2.93 per share. Today it is at $8.85. That is phenomenal. While we all agree CAPEX needs to go up and the network still needs a lot of work compared to Verizon, it takes time. Now we Verizon truly threatening the market that Sprint and T-Mobile were dominating, unlimited at a fair price.

Well said. The problem is that the other carriers are competing to keep current customers by making their plans available to all. Sprint isn't, and that will slowly hollow out the company of loyal customers and leave it with promo seekers who have little to no loyalty.

As for the stock/bonus benchmark:

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/sprint-extends-claure-s-contract-until-2019-will-give-him-10m-shares-if-he-gets-stock-to-8

"The 10 million shares will only be earned "upon the achievement of specified volume-weighted average prices" of Sprint's common stock during regular trading on the New York Stock Exchange over any 150-calendar day period during a four-year period from June 1, 2015, through May 31, 2019. In order to earn 100 percent of the 10 million shares, the volume-weighted average price must be at least $8 during that period. If the volume-weighted average stock price during the period goes above $8, Claure could earn more stock, but no more than 120 percent of the original award."

• Like 2

I am personally not a fan of the exploding promos. They just make it hell on billing and on billing people. Verizon might be expensive, but they have predictable billing, I know since I've been a customer for many years now. It isn't just Sprint that struggles with this though, look at the T-Mobile subreddit. Every time I look or post on there, I see a thread complaint about something that their billing either did or didn't do that required either T-Force or one of their executives to go back and fix. Ideally, I'd like the simple pricing structure to be the way forward for all carriers. Now that we're in the unlimited age, people are going to demand simplicity. If it isn't provided, people will be looking for carriers that can provide it. 

• Like 2

Sure you do. But here on this very site we have limits to such complaining and specifically you and others are pushing it close.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

My observations always seem to come off as complaining somehow. I'm definitely not complaining. There is more competition and options now. I'm just stating the obvious that Sprint very well could be and probably is in hot water after these moves.

• Like 3

My observations always seem to come off as complaining somehow. I'm definitely not complaining. There is more competition and options now. I'm just stating the obvious that Sprint very well could be and probably is in hot water after these moves.

but.. but.. you're now complaining about someone that was complaining about your complaints.  :P

anyway, on a side note, and this is not to you but for all. This week has been a bit stressful on everyone in regards to these plan changes from all the carriers and many want to voice their opinions on the matter, myself included. But we should also adhere to the negative comments policy and not make some of these posts leaning as borderline Sprint complaints. 

• Like 4

but.. but.. you're now complaining about someone that was complaining about your complaints. [emoji14]

anyway, on a side note, and this is not to you but for all. This week has been a bit stressful on everyone in regards to these plan changes from all the carriers and many want to voice their opinions on the matter, myself included. But we should also adhere to the negative comments policy and not make some of these posts leaning as borderline Sprint complaints.

you had me at but...but [emoji23] We need to calm the complaints ppl

Sons given up on Sprint. It's now all about get as many customers and clear up as much debt. I hate to hear that. Maybe it's all a lie in some form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Lol

Tmo won???

Masa won he has been trying to offload sprint since he was denied buying Tmo. Vzw and the unlimited plan is like a nail in the coffin for a merger.... Or it's vzw opening up Pandora's box with a merger.

~130 mil subs ridiculous amount of spectrum converting sprint to gsm

Not so sure vzw and att want that

A month ago, I was really against the idea of the duo merging because it would hurt competition. At this point I'm for the merger because SoftBank clearly is not trying to fix Sprint.

Very well said!

I'm not against the merger, and at this point I'd much rather see Softbank selling Sprint to DT. Thing is though, I just don't believe the FCC would allow that to pass, based on the combined network strength and spectrum far eclipsing both Verizon and T-Mobile. With that said, seeing as DT is no longer interested in selling T-Mobile, it'll probably remain the way it is now, and perhaps DT can buy Dish to add ott to T-Mobile's business.

• Like 1

Lol

Tmo won???

Masa won he has been trying to offload sprint since he was denied buying Tmo. Vzw and the unlimited plan is like a nail in the coffin for a merger.... Or it's vzw opening up Pandora's box with a merger.

~130 mil subs ridiculous amount of spectrum converting sprint to gsm

Not so sure vzw and att want that

Maybe not but since Son seems to have already massaged the FCC this time, I'd say it is done. 

Am I missing something? I pay $120/month. We get a $24 discount so we pay $96 plus tax for three lines that share 40gb. - there's about $20 in fees and taxes. And as far as I know sprint is the only one that has a plan like the open world plan that has free calls in Latin America. Why would I want to switch at this point...

• Like 2

T-Mobile won. 

At this point, I have to recognize it.

It hurts. But it all makes sense now what Sprint has been doing to prepare for a sale. Pay off debt, add customers for valuation, cut costs...

Maybe they'll name the company SprinTmobile.

Or we could be totally wrong on this and the government won't let it happen,

• Like 2