Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Part of me would like to see s merger to stick it toothrb big2, however, the other part wants to see sprint get their **** going full speed take back #3 and then stick it to the big2.

As in winning all these root awards and making commercials that shut mr foxx the hell up!

(Ouch))

• Like 1

Ok, just to be on the safe side, we probably stop the political discussion on this thread, because we don't want it to devolve into a horrible fight on here. Yes, we all disagree on certain aspects of this election, but only time will tell what a Republicican majority FCC will do. It certainly won't happen until the next FCC appointment occurs, which is still over half a year away.

And frankly, I'm hoping there will never be a merger between Sprint & T-Mobile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks Josh for moderating. My main point wasn't to point fingers, but instead to say don't expect lots of quick changes. The president and Congress still have to follow procedures and rules. At my company the red tape can be horrible, but I can't even imagine how much red tape a government agency has to deal with. 

• Like 3

Part of me would like to see s merger to stick it toothrb big2, however, the other part wants to see sprint get their **** going full speed take back #3 and then stick it to the big2.

As in winning all these root awards and making commercials that shut mr wayans the hell up!

Who is Mr. Wayans?

Has anyone roamed on Carolina West Wireless LTE yet? I knew US Cellular but just saw the new(?) lte roaming partner today in my logs. I know they signed an agreement in 2014 but I have not roamed on them yet. I will try and watch next time I go through there.

provider                         plmn      gci              pci    tac      strongest_rsrp strongest_latitude strongest_longitude

Carolina West Wireless 310130 _0C395F01   60 40000 -113                36.52881              -80.749116
Carolina West Wireless 310130 _0C39EF02 445 40000 -103               36.532728            -80.750528

Edit: It also may be nothing I have AT&T and TMobile also in my logs.

Thanks Josh for moderating. My main point wasn't to point fingers, but instead to say don't expect lots of quick changes. The president and Congress still have to follow procedures and rules. At my company the red tape can be horrible, but I can't even imagine how much red tape a government agency has to deal with. 

I understood your meaning and agree with you that it won't be a quick decision. I often talk about mergers here, and usually respond to most discussions when someone mentions a merger on this site. I suppose I'm a supporter of mergers, despite being aware of corporate greed and the like, because I also believe that if things were done correctly, properly regulated (not over-regulated to any conservatives here, but properly regulated for those regulations that are important to have in order to maintain fairness, etc.). I understand that a lot of the time there are problems that exist in mergers and is a major reason why they are not popular towards many consumers. Yet, I still see the benefit in them and hope they produce a good result for all, at least in the important things.

Regarding wireless, I see it as a way of expanding spectrum to customers of the combined brand. My views of spectrum here are well known, as I've stated many times of the mess I believe the FCC has made towards carriers with spectrum auctioning and the uneven partitioning of spectrum among markets. I'd like for a company to be able to mainstream spectrum more evenly among markets to better serve customers so that they don't have to research spectrum as a deciding factor of what carrier to choose from, especially since spectrum is provided to the carriers by the government, which in a sense is determining the success or failure of a carrier in a specific market where the carrier may have either plenty or not enough spectrum. The network quality determination to customers should only be on that which the carrier has utmost control over, such as having enough towers in a given area. Where local municipalities can obstruct network build, at least the carrier can object and fight against, giving some level of control, whereas spectrum isn't something a carrier has much say in, other than to bid for what is made available.

Besides, most customers don't want to spend much time researching these issues. They just want something that works for them and at a price that is manageable. Usually it is when there are problems that customers begin researching the cause of them, then find out about stuff such as cell sites, spectrum, etc. Those that do research from the beginning though, usually still like to keep it simple, which spectrum shouldn't be something they need to worry about. Again, it ought to be kept to things like cell site locations and the capability of their devices. In order to simplify this, I believe carriers having more spectrum/mainstreamed spectrum portfolios, is needed, and by merging is a great way to accomplish this, besides gaining more customers in which to offer more unique services to.

My thought is that while AT&T is in a very good situation regarding spectrum, getting T-Mobile would be the finishing touch on what they are trying to do with their business. I believe that there inevitably will be more consolidation in the market, while possibly further competition will come from other mobile technologies that do not operate on cellular systems with conventional towers and such. Given that the political landscape now is such that favors big business, I believe this will make it easier for these companies to do, regardless of what has been said about the voting patterns of Marcelo Claure, John Legere, etc. Yet, I agree with those here on S4GRU mentioning the issue pertaining to foreign companies. I don't see Sprint being able to merge with T-Mobile, unless it drops Softbank and DT from ownership in the combined company. That gives way for AT&T to possibly get T-Mobile, or Comcast getting Sprint, etc. Although as I've mentioned recently, there are analysts who've discussed believing in a possible merger between Comcast and Verizon, which I strongly agree with, among other things.

Has anyone roamed on Carolina West Wireless LTE yet? I knew US Cellular but just saw the new(?) lte roaming partner today in my logs. I know they signed an agreement in 2014 but I have not roamed on them yet. I will try and watch next time I go through there.

provider                         plmn      gci              pci    tac      strongest_rsrp strongest_latitude strongest_longitude

Carolina West Wireless 310130 _0C395F01   60 40000 -113                36.52881              -80.749116
Carolina West Wireless 310130 _0C39EF02 445 40000 -103               36.532728            -80.750528

Edit: It also may be nothing I have AT&T and TMobile also in my logs.

Not yet, but I may have some free time tomorrow to go for a drive to check it out.  I believe this is just a start and not yet full, comprehensive coverage on all Carolina West tower sites.  I'm interested to see how quickly my S7 Edge will pick it up and if it will show roaming or not.  Carolina West normally does not show a Roaming indicator, it has always shown as native, but Data and Voice Roaming must be turned on.  I will keep a close eye on SCP around here as CWW has always been a great Sprint partner.

• Like 1

'Bout time. Future CWW LTE roaming was announced a very long time ago.

Now that I think about it, if Sprint knew which sites CWW was eventually launching LTE on back during the 8T8R rollout that could explain why Sprint chose such odd sites to install 8T8Rs on (to avoid naming any specific locations *cough* App State area *cough*) up in the parts of western NC I visit somewhat regularly.

• Like 1

I don't know if this has been posted already so here it goes:

"Sprint has become a target for acquisition in recent months given both its subscriber gains and the increasing interest in tie-ups between wireless carriers and content providers. “I would say that our strategic value to many has significantly grown, as we’ve had a lot of bankers placing more calls than usual over the weekend, which is definitely quite interesting because of what is going on in our industry,” Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure said during a recent earnings call, according to a Seeking Alpha transcript.  “Now, I think the (AT&T/Time Warner transaction) validates the point of content providers and wireless carriers can go hand in hand. It’s happening in other parts of the world.”"

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/wireless-likely-to-consolidate-following-incentive-auction-but-trump-question-looms

So while a Sprint/T-Mobile tie up might not be in the works, a tie up with a content company might not. Dish or cable cos? Disney?

• Like 1

Looks like HTC bolt is the first phone with 3xCA enabled out the box.

Last week there were a few reviewers who were sent the phone. I know for a fact they are going to test the network. One reviewer who unboxed it had the speedtest app already loaded up. I pray that the results are atleast decent. The videos did say in some form that the phone works on Sprints LTE-A Network. I'm kinda cringing for the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The gains are pure speculation.

Any "disruption to the norm" in Washington is always met with gains and losses. 

The ATT/TW tie up's fate will set the tone going forward.  If there are post election undercurrents about that being denied, its never too soon to sell your S stock. 

The ATT/TW tie up's fate will set the tone going forward.  If there are post election undercurrents about that being denied, its never too soon to sell your S stock. 

Agree.  I severely recall back in late 2013 when Sprint surged to $11 on T-Mobile merger rumors only to fall two years later to almost $2.

There's definitely speculation baked in, but the company's recent performance has not been accounted in the stock since the last earnings release. It was already at 7 dollars before Trump was elected.  Anything between 7 and 8 is reasonable at this point.  Anything more than 8, there's room for a sell off until the next earnings announcement.

Trump has already said T and TW will yield too much power.  We will see if his administration will follow through. 

• Like 1

Their stock is rising fast. That's good to see

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

It's certainly nice to see more people placing bets on Sprint's success, rather than its failure - even if only driven by speculation.

• Like 1

Can someone tell me what the "speculation" is that has caused the stock to rise to $7.50 yesterday? Thanks!

Actually, if it wasn't for some shorting the stock, Sprints shares would have been up a long time ago. There are some who wants to get there hands on Sprints assets.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

Can someone tell me what the "speculation" is that has caused the stock to rise to $7.50 yesterday? Thanks!

It's still based on politics, really. Folks assume a "conservative"-controlled government (after January, all three houses of government, mind you) will go easier on M&A activity. What they're not considering is that Trump is not a traditional conservative and at least his stated views on M&A tend to lean more liberal than anything...i.e., he does not look favorably on consolidation of big players in a market. 

• Like 1