Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Ahhh finally!

Thank you for actually answering my question.

The risk is on Softbank and, by proximity, Marcelo..... Potentially decreasing profits.

Which means wallstreet might be unhappy. Which means no huge bonus for Marcelo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Apparently, Marcelo was just on CNBC and said the plans were ready to go live tomorrow. So that's why Legere had to rush and throw together "Uncarrier 12" with no notice at all, and that's why T-Mobile can't launch the plans until September 6th... probably to get the billing software updated.

• Like 3

Apparently, Marcelo was just on CNBC and said the plans were ready to go live tomorrow. So that's why Legere had to rush and throw together "Uncarrier 12" with no notice at all, and that's why T-Mobile can't launch the plans until September 6th... probably to get the billing software updated.

Exactly!

Meanwhile Sprint's ready to go live tomorrow, and have been testing them for a few months prior.

• Like 5

I might be wrong about this, but there seems to be two major distinctions between the new Sprint plan and the new T-Mobile plan, With the new T-Mobile plan, it seems John Legere is saying this is a plan completely replacing "Simple Choice" for new customers from now on, which again for the most part I like this plan and think T-Mobile should have done this from the beginning, though the execution of it is a bit wrong (most notably, the starting price and some of the price structure, though not all of it). Whereas, with the new Sprint plan, it isn't replacing the other Sprint plan offerings, including data sharing plans, which still are there.

Another issue to mention is an HD option. While I'd prefer it to be put in as its own plan rather than as an add-on, especially as I see this potentially being a sneaky way for John Legere to charge legacy/loyalty customers and added fee for HD video, T-Mobile is offering it. Sprint isn't doing that on this particular plan. So, there are pretty big differences between them and I just don't see the comparison at all.

I might be wrong about this, but there seems to be two major distinctions between the new Sprint plan and the new T-Mobile plan, With the new T-Mobile plan, it seems John Legere is saying this is a plan completely replacing "Simple Choice" for new customers from now on, which again for the most part I like this plan and think T-Mobile should have done this from the beginning, though the execution of it is a bit wrong (most notably, the starting price and some of the price structure, though not all of it). Whereas, with the new Sprint plan, it isn't replacing the other Sprint plan offerings, including data sharing plans, which still are there.

Another issue to mention is an HD option. While I'd prefer it to be put in as its own plan rather than as an add-on, especially as I see this potentially being a sneaky way for John Legere to charge legacy/loyalty customers and added fee for HD video, T-Mobile is offering it. Sprint isn't doing that on this particular plan. So, there are pretty big differences between them and I just don't see the comparison at all.

Well Network quality and or speed aside

Tmo is offering less for more money

That's how I see it.

• Like 4

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkLooks like a test promo for people in phoenix and Oklahoma.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

These were the test plans limited to the Boston, Milwaukee, Phoenix and Oklahoma markets.

Well Network quality and or speed aside

Tmo is offering less for more money

That's how I see it.

I think T-Mobile messed up on these rates. I'll mention again as I did earlier, that the rates ought to have been a flat $45 monthly per line SD/$75 monthly per line HD, using autopay. Without autopay, add $15 monthly per line. Separating the plan a bit between SD and HD would be assurance this isn't an "add-on" that could easily be used towards legacy/loyalty plans. I'm very much suspicious this is exactly what John Legere has in mind.

I'm glad I'm gone from T-Mobile. I'd be worried now if I were there of my $45 monthly unlimited no-restriction legacy/loyalty plan getting a $25 HD "add-on option". to it, practically forcing me onto BingeOn, unless I paid more. Thank goodness AT&T doesn't play these shady "Uncarrier" games.

Neither t-no or sprint really impress me with these plans. Sprints trial of $50/50 and $25 thereafter would be something to talk about. It was only $10 less a month but the $50 number is what jumps out.

One thing I am getting outta this is - sprints network still needs a lot of work - T-no has probably starting to see a decline in the amount of new subs. Not saying they aren't getting any new subs but probably well below what they have been averaging monthly.

• Like 1

Neither t-no or sprint really impress me with these plans. Sprints trial of $50/50 and $25 thereafter would be something to talk about. It was only $10 less a month but the $50 number is what jumps out.

One thing I am getting outta this is - sprints network still needs a lot of work - T-no has probably starting to see a decline in the amount of new subs. Not saying they aren't getting any new subs but probably well below what they have been averaging monthly.

$60 is still a reasonable single line rate, $10 less that T-Mobile's exact same offering.

$50 isn't sustainable or feasible, borderline prepaid territory at that point.

• Like 2

He just dropped the 1 for $60 and 2/$100 Unlimited Freedom plan on Twitter that launches tomorrow. He also dropped some new Boost Mobile plans as well.

Where's my popcorn and soda...today has been lit so far with John and Marcelo.

Sent from my iPhone 6s+ using Tapatalk

Boost would be very attractive if they had better byod options.  Unlocked iPhones, Nexus devices, Motorolas, etc, and even the new Axon 7 should all be compatible with Boost.  Right now it's only unlocked iPhones that can be used.

• Like 1

$60 is still a reasonable single line rate, $10 less that T-Mobile's exact same offering.

$50 isn't sustainable or feasible, borderline prepaid territory at that point.

It seems many of these carriers are expecting people to sign up with 2 or more lines. They hike up the first line rate for individuals, who seem to be paying off the costs on plans where lines are paying around $30 or less. There really ought to be more balance to these plans, more fairness. I don't see an issue with a carrier making a plan at $45 monthly for all lines, no discounts, and placing a speed cap limitation on it of some sort, video optimization, etc., then lessening those limits on higher rate plan offering of Unlimited Data, such as $60 monthly per line, or $75 monthly per line. The main thing about it is keeping to the flat-rate aspect on every line, without lessening so steeply on additional lines as what is happening currently in these rate plans.

Days like this make me glad that FierceWireless got rid of the comments section.  :tu:

Very true!

Edit Note : This arstechnica article about the new plans happens to have some really great comments on it, complete opposite from what could be expected on FierceWireless. Makes me wonder why the trolls chose there to troll and not arstechnica.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/08/t-mobile-ends-cheaper-plans-and-imposes-new-limits-on-unlimited-data/?comments=1

Edited by Arysyn

It seems many of these carriers are expecting people to sign up with 2 or more lines. They hike up the first line rate for individuals, who seem to be paying off the costs on plans where lines are paying around $30 or less. There really ought to be more balance to these plans, more fairness. I don't see an issue with a carrier making a plan at $45 monthly for all lines, no discounts, and placing a speed cap limitation on it of some sort, video optimization, etc., then lessening those limits on higher rate plan offering of Unlimited Data, such as $60 monthly per line, or $75 monthly per line. The main thing about it is keeping to the flat-rate aspect on every line, without lessening so steeply on additional lines as what is happening currently in these rate plans.

You don't see an issue because you're ignoring how expensive it is to run a network.

Single line plans have to be priced higher because you're not buying in bulk. If you notice the trend, it gets cheaper per unit when buying additional lines. 

Ever been to a BJs or Costco? They stay in business because everything is sold in bulk which has a cheaper per-unit cost associated with it.

• Like 6

Very true!

Edit Note : This arstechnica article about the new plans happens to have some really great comments on it, complete opposite from what could be expected on FierceWireless. Makes me wonder why the trolls chose there to troll and not arstechnica.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/08/t-mobile-ends-cheaper-plans-and-imposes-new-limits-on-unlimited-data/?comments=1

Please keep them out of Arstechnica!

• Like 5

Very true!

Ars commenters are self-policing. If they get what they perceive to be AstroTurf in their midst, they react accordingly. FierceWireless never had that sort of commenter to begin with. 

• Like 4

I've been following the whole new T-Mobile One and Sprint Unlimited Freedom news all morning, reading into both subreddits, so I can build a proper opinion. I think I have one.

T-Mobile better executed this plan than Sprint.

Reason why I say this, despite the fact everyone is more pissed at T-Mobile than Sprint, is because this is the most rock solid business strategy I've seen. All new consumers, whether they want 1GB of data or 100GB of data, that want to do business with T-Mobile, have to pay $70 at least for one line. Their average revenue per new subscriber is gonna go up up up. Taking away options from the people but making it sound great for a price that sounds reasonable is a practical business model that yields big profits. Like some have said, it's so un-carrier that it's carrier.

Sprint on the other hand has this new plan, as well as Better Choice, and the 100s of other legacy plans they still support as well as 50% off plans. It's a disorganized chaotic mess. Will Unlimited Freedom bring in new customers? Absolutely. But they're not gonna see increased revenues like T-Mobile because Sprint is still pro-consumer with choice.

Sprint is clearly the new un-carrier here for giving people the benefit of choice, but T-Mobile doesn't need that. They're corporations, and what matters at the end of the day is big piles of revenue to continue operating, appeasing stockholders, and increased capex to support growing networks. Sprint cares too much about trying to make new customers happy that its hurting the rest, while T-Mobile is just making bank. Nobody on Simple Choice is porting out because they get to keep Simple Choice, and new customers won't care about the caveats. It's a brilliant business plan, it just sucks for us.

• Like 6