Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Latest prl is 55054. It came out last month.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Maybe it's my carrier settings. I'm on 24.2 and finding 3G, 1x, or No Service all over St. Louis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest prl is 55054. It came out last month.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks. I haven't had issues on it myself. Perhaps it's market specific though.

Yeah, while WiMax wasn't a great technology for how it was implemented, the legacy Clear network has been godsend in DC once they added B41 LTE (and then CA once WiMax was retired). I think WiMax still could have a future in certain fixed WISP environments.

Didn't the Dual Mode equipment from Clearwire enable Sprint to quickly implement 2xCA via a software update?

Didn't the Dual Mode equipment from Clearwire enable Sprint to quickly implement 2xCA via a software update?

2xCA wasn't updated quickly in New York - it didn't happen until this past spring.  Granted, that was because the Clear network had to be shutdown first.  But that's also partly because Wimax wasted so much spectrum with the number of channels it used.  I'm not sure if that's a deployment issue or technical issue.

2xCA wasn't updated quickly in New York - it didn't happen until this past spring.  Granted, that was because the Clear network had to be shutdown first.  But that's also partly because Wimax wasted so much spectrum with the number of channels it used.  I'm not sure if that's a deployment issue or technical issue.

From start to finish the deployment was very very quick. Id say between 4-6 weeks.

• Like 2

PRL doesn't affect LTE

I think it was the carrier update or something, then. I've had spotty at best coverage in very dense b41 areas.

It's funny how some people were so adamant about Softbank preparing to drop Sprint and here Masayoshi Son is again saying that that is not going to happen.

I wonder how long it'll be until someone brings it up again.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

You're absolutely right, but we can't forget he is a business man. When the right opportunity comes you take it, if the right offer comes he would probably take it .

As far as I can tell our dual mode sites are STILL single carrier. That's as of about a week ago when I was last near a dual mode site.

Edit: removed market-specific ranting that doesn't belong in this thread.

Look at the mess he inherited at Sprint. It's a minor miracle Sprint is still above water. Did you see where things were at the end of the Hesse tenure?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Look at the mess Hesse inherited after Forsee... :rolleyes:

• Like 6

Look at the mess Hesse inherited after Forsee... :rolleyes:

Forsee is still getting paid...

At the end of 2007 he was fired “without cause.” But he had negotiated well. Sprint gave him $40 million, including a $1.5 million salary through 2009, $5 million in bonuses, stock options and restricted shares worth $23 million and an $84,000-a-month pension for life. This package was structured under his contract as if he were still running the company and had met all his goals. Oh, Sprint also paid for “outplacement services” that landed him the presidency of the University of Missouri (where his annual salary and bonus amount to $500,000).

• Like 1

Yeah, while WiMax wasn't a great technology for how it was implemented, the legacy Clear network has been godsend in DC once they added B41 LTE (and then CA once WiMax was retired).

I am quoting just this post for a representative sample of the Clearwire/WiMAX discussion this morning.  avb and Paynefanbro made several other relevant posts, but in the interest of brevity, I will not quote them.

Guys, be careful with any explicit or implicit comparisons between WiMAX and TD-LTE.  WiMAX and TD-LTE have far more in common than in difference.  And the empirical idea that WiMAX was like Wi-Fi hotspots, good only while stationary, poor at handoffs is specious.  You are comparing circa 2010 WiMAX user equipment and infrastructure to circa 2015 TD-LTE user equipment and infrastructure.  That is a faulty comparison.  Five years can make a lot of difference.  Had WiMAX trumped LTE or even remained competitive with it, WiMAX development and performance would equal or exceed that of TD-LTE today.

Back to Wi-Fi for a moment.  WiMAX, like Wi-Fi, was standardized by IEEE, not 3GPP.  WiMAX is a far more open standard, and Intel, et al., had plans to embed WiMAX chipsets automatically in countless devices, much like Wi-Fi chipsets have been standard for many years now.  And as a consumer, you do not pay a premium for, say, a Wi-Fi capable tablet, unlike an LTE tablet.

WiMAX should have won out.  But politics, economics, and history were not on its side.

AJ

• Like 6

But that's also partly because Wimax wasted so much spectrum with the number of channels it used.  I'm not sure if that's a deployment issue or technical issue.

Naw, calling that "wasted" spectrum is too extreme for several reasons.

Clearwire had plenty of BRS/EBS spectrum to burn.  Its RRUs were bandwidth limited -- each RRU could not have run 160 MHz worth of 10 MHz TDD WiMAX carriers, for example.  And by deploying a frequency reuse pattern instead of a single frequency network, Clearwire greatly minimized co-channel interference at sector/cell edge.

Had WiMAX survived the LTE onslaught, however, the network would have evolved closer and closer to a single frequency network as infrastructure was replaced or augmented and more carriers were added.

AJ

• Like 3

I think it was the carrier update or something, then. I've had spotty at best coverage in very dense b41 areas.

Maybe it's the same problem we had in the LA Metro market a few months ago.  There was an incompatibility between a carrier update and site/core configuration that was fixed with an update on the network side.

• Like 2

For those who want to know, premarket has Sprint at $4.39 a share, about to pop over $4.40 mark, which will tick off a lot of shorters on the stock.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Naw, calling that "wasted" spectrum is too extreme for several reasons.

Clearwire had plenty of BRS/EBS spectrum to burn.  Its RRUs were bandwidth limited -- each RRU could not have run 160 MHz worth of 10 MHz TDD WiMAX carriers, for example.  And by deploying a frequency reuse pattern instead of a single frequency network, Clearwire greatly minimized co-channel interference at sector/cell edge.

Had WiMAX survived the LTE onslaught, however, the network would have evolved closer and closer to a single frequency network as infrastructure was replaced or augmented and more carriers were added.

AJ

Was WiMax ever standardized for wider channels than 10 MHz?  I remember back in the day speeds were 3-10Mbs down and 1.5Mbs up (why were uploads capped?).  Speeds were usable especially since 3g speeds became almost unusable during the HTC Evo days.  The hotspot like performance I figured was due to the poor coverage.  Back then I remember Clear wasting money trying to build their own retail presence instead of pouring more money into the network.

For those who want to know, premarket has Sprint at $4.39 a share, about to pop over $4.40 mark, which will tick off a lot of shorters on the stock.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

That must mean that we're due for another hit piece starring the one and only Craig Moffett.

• Like 8

Was WiMax ever standardized for wider channels than 10 MHz?  I remember back in the day speeds were 3-10Mbs down and 1.5Mbs up (why were uploads capped?).

The 802.16e standard allows for greater carrier bandwidths. However, for mobile WiMAX, I am uncertain that any bandwidths other than 5/8.75/10 MHz TDD ever were codified or implemented in infrastructure and devices.

And uplink speeds may have been throttled for a variety of reasons. I do not recall exactly what downlink/uplink time ratio that Clearwire utilized, but it is documented here at S4GRU somewhere. More likely, though, the uplink may have been throttled for power management reasons. Remember, all of these early generation hybrid CDMA2000/WiMAX devices incorporated multiple chipsets -- with the emphasis on CDMA2000 and WiMAX as a supplement. Moreover, WiMAX, honestly, was a battery hog. Had WiMAX prospered, maybe Qualcomm would have gotten on board and built multimode chipsets with WiMAX.

Speeds were usable especially since 3g speeds became almost unusable during the HTC Evo days.  The hotspot like performance I figured was due to the poor coverage.  Back then I remember Clear wasting money trying to build their own retail presence instead of pouring more money into the network.

Some of the shortcomings may have been due to coverage footprint.  But I chalk up the weaknesses at least as much to the early generation infrastructure and devices.  Even with no changes in site density, WiMAX coverage and performance would have improved with future generation chipsets, especially if they were multimode.

AJ

• Like 1

I'm not even a mod here anymore and I've been really hard on Sprint lately. Yet I'm having people dox me on Fierce.

Yes I'm still listed as such but it might be time to delist me as such.

Getting really sick and tired of it. Especially considering the hate is more or less coming from one individual.

• Like 5

I'm not even a mod here anymore and I've been really hard on Sprint lately. Yet I'm having people dox me on Fierce.

Yes I'm still listed as such but it might be time to delist me as such.

Getting really sick and tired of it. Especially considering the hate is more or less coming from one individual.

It's some dude over on HowardForums.  It's ridiculous though.  Fiercewireless doesn't even let people post the word S4GRU there anymore. LOL