Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Lately my note 5 been hang on band 41 very long -140 and band 26 up to -130 . Not dropping 3g. By the way im going by my opinion and no real data .just travel alot pa,nj,md,de,nyc.and yes i think dc pretty good.

Lately my note 5 been hang on band 41 very long -140 and band 26 up to -130 . Not dropping 3g. By the way im going by my opinion and no real data .just travel alot pa,nj,md,de,nyc.and yes i think dc pretty good.

Since the update to M my phone is seeing 3G a lot more then it should. Several times a day. All in good LTE coverage areas. 

Since the update to M my phone is seeing 3G a lot more then it should. Several times a day. All in good LTE coverage areas. 

Same but it wasn't due to Marshmallow, seems that the towers are just putting out weaker signals.

Same but it wasn't due to Marshmallow, seems that the towers are just putting out weaker signals.

No, it was Marshmallow.  The day my phones upgraded, I started dropping LTE in any previously weak spot.  Where I could hold the weak LTE in the past, I no longer can.  The new software made things much worse. LTE drops and I am on CDMA until I get in a stronger area.

I run Signal check all day.   Now I get the audio beep every time I go into a weak area.

No, it was Marshmallow. The day my phones upgraded, I started dropping LTE in any previously weak spot. Where I could hold the weak LTE in the past, I no longer can. The new software made things much worse. LTE drops and I am on CDMA until I get in a stronger area.

I run Signal check all day. Now I get the audio beep every time I go into a weak area.

I was fine for a while after I upgraded, it just started happening recently.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I was fine for a while after I upgraded, it just started happening recently.

I noticed it on the very day the upgrade happened.  I even rebooted TWICE thinking it might scare a bug out of the phone software.

If you do not have Signal Check set up to beep on the loss of LTE or the connection to 800 CDMA, you woudl not have noticed it.

I get one beep when LTE drops and a different beep, when I connect to CDMA 1X

St. Louis seems to be doing better lately. I suspect that Sprint's cell grid there is dense compared to a lot of places. AFAIK there hasn't been a lot of Mobilitie movement in STL yet. Yet Sprint seems to be dealing with traffic better than the other carriers in very dense locations like Busch Stadium.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

With all of the USCC conversions, several all new sites and the decent Clear coverage, St. Louis is sitting pretty good. A new DAS at Busch certainly helps things too!

I thought the network, not the device, was responsible for switching between LTE bands?

Yes, but your device reports to the network what bands and signals it is seeing. If your device isn't tuned properly it ends up sending bad data to the network which impairs its ability to switch bands. Plus, the network really only takes over if you're not really moving around. Certain signal thresholds will trigger a switch on the device, such as dropping B41 down to B25 or B26.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing!

On a separate note, I'm just not sure I can understand why folks think these small cells are so unsightly? They're about as low profile as you can get.

Because city planners or NIMBYs cant understand that wireless is a huge part of peoples daily lives. In order to support the growing demand for voice and data coverage new macro towers and small cells need to be installed in locations all over the city including neighborhoods.

Sometimes i wish the cell providers can just strip off all cell coverage in NIMBY neighborhoods just so they can feel what happens when they cant build.

• Like 4

Based on the neighborhood meeting I went to a few weeks ago, the main concerns are:
1. "Service already works, why the hell do you need more towers?"
2. "Can't you just put it next to the freeway half a mile away?" (The residents didn't realize the interstate is already lined with macro sites)
3. "It's my property! Why the hell are you allowed to touch MY property!?" (Apparently people around here assume if they paid more than 700k for a property that means it's automatically exempt from utility work of any kind)
And 4. "PROPERTY VALUES!!1!11ONE" (I totally understand your concerns, but this is inevitable. If you don't let one small cell company do it, another one will come along and sue for access. And win. And do a far poorer job than the company that originally offered.)

• Like 6

Other companies already had backhaul in place as directed by forward thinking management.

Other companies had better permitting departments having more capable executives/management.

Other companies had (and have) adequate funding to do what needs doing.

Sprint Zone is our recourse for reporting issues, but I hope Sprint still keeps that Top Ten **** List for its worst performing sites: http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-how-to-fix-sprint/

Based on the neighborhood meeting went to a few weeks ago, the main concerns are:

2. "Can't you just put it next to the freeway half a mile away?" (The residents didn't realize the interstate is already lined with macro sites)

3. "It's my property! Why the hell are you allowed to touch MY property!?" (Apparently people around here assume if they paid more than 700k for a property that means it's automatically exempt from utility work of any kind)

And 4. "PROPERTY VALUES!!1!11ONE" (I totally understand your concerns, but this is inevitable. If you don't let one small cell company do it, another one will come along and sue for access. And win. And do a far poorer job than the company that originally offered.)

Idiots.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Based on the neighborhood meeting went to a few weeks ago, the main concerns are:

Thanks for the update.

• Like 4

Irony: the provider in question for service in the case of caspar347 that is doing the small cell deployment around where he lives?

Verizon.

Not only is Verizon doing extensive small cell and DAS, but they face NIMBY too. Difference is they don't get the heat on the Internet over NIMBY to the degree Sprint is getting.

Now granted, if one wants to make the case Sprint should disguise better and plan things better, or even use Crown Castle instead of Mobilitie, I am fine with that.

However I saw one site where people were running down on small cells because Sprint was doing small cells. Yet Verizon is doing extensive small cells and not a word is said.

• Like 7

Any network construction that makes wireless networks more reliable should happen. The NIMBY crowd is insane. No one notices wireless towers unless they are pointed out to them and our neighborhoods are inundated with power and telephone lines anyway. You don't see people fighting to keep the power lines out.

Any network construction that makes wireless networks more reliable should happen. The NIMBY crowd is insane. No one notices wireless towers unless they are pointed out to them and our neighborhoods are inundated with power and telephone lines anyway. You don't see people fighting to keep the power lines out.

I won't go that far. At the least I think some effort should be made to disguise. Especially small cells that can be hidden without a performance penalty.

*looks at neighborhoods with all underground utilities...*

• Like 10

*looks at neighborhoods with all underground utilities...*

Small cells can be hidden on rustic light poles that are short with a little effort. Not much.

• Like 2

I won't go that far. At the least I think some effort should be made to disguise. Especially small cells that can be hidden without a performance penalty.

I constantly point out cell towers to friends and 100 percent of the time they never noticed them before. It is just not something you notice unless you fixate on it or go looking for them. Mean while these same jackasses are the ones demanding wireless provider give them free mircocells because service doesn't work in their home.

• Like 6

I constantly point out cell towers to friends and 100 percent of the time they never noticed them before. It is just not something you notice unless you fixate on it or go looking for them. Mean while these same jackasses are the ones demanding wireless provider give them free mircocells because service doesn't work in their home.

It is not an apples to apples comparison when we compare macros on existing towers or even new larger towers to cells that are in people's neighborhoods.

The least mobile providers can do when deploying in neighborhoods is to be a good citizen.

It is not an apples to apples comparison when we compare macros on existing towers or even new larger towers to cells that are in people's neighborhoods.

The least mobile providers can do when deploying in neighborhoods is to be a good citizen.

Most of the ones I point out are ones in people's neighborhoods, for the very reason of demonstrating that when you arent thinking about them, you don't see them. If you want to see how this works, take a walk around your neighborhood and look for satellite dishes on your neighbor's roofs. You will find that more have them than you would have guessed. But the next time your phone doesn't send that picture or you drop a call you will certainly notice that.