Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Until there is some form of standardization starting to happen, testing their own flavors of "5G" is pointless.

I should also add Sprint demonstrated more than 2.5Gbps two years ago. http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/story/sprints-26-gbps-demo-shows-it-time-walk-walk/2014-02-06

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Oh I agree with out a standard it is moot... BUT flip side is WiMax was a standard no?  I suspect if VZW stood behind WiMax - it would be in use still! 

Sprint cannot afford to deploy 5G anytime soon. Now let them finish building out 4G, make some money, then we can talk. They don't need to be on the bleeding edge. They have learned to let somebody else be the guinea pigs. Yeah they can have couple of people assigned so they can issue press releases but they should keep their power dry.

• Like 2

As far as I'm concerned "5G" is just a variation of 4G/LTE. I distinctly remember hearing about LTE hitting 1 gbps a year or so back. I wonder if they'll market it as "5G LTE". Talk about confusing people. Most still don't know what LTE is.  

IDK how they'd make their big bucks getting people to upgrade anyway, considering whatever this "5G" is would just be more LTE, which even in a much faster iteration is still the same base technology unlike going from CDMA/WCDMA to LTE. 

• Like 2

Personally, I don't see what the big deal is with 5g right now. LTE still has quite a bit more ways to go in its advancements/developments. Besides, speeds already are very usable most of the time when/where there isn't capacity issues. Carriers would be better dealing with those issues in making for greater capacity, so that more of their customers can take advantage of the higher speeds LTE already offer.

I believe one of the best ways of doing this, is for carriers to continue working together swapping spectrum, so they can widen their holdings for greater capacity and speed LTE offers with 10x10 and greater. I'd like to see carriers try for a minimal 15x15 in non-rural areas, if possible, between spectrum swapping, purchasing, etc, whatever works. That, to me, is more important than spending money on another technology that hasn't even been standardized yet.

• Like 1

The other carriers know Sprint is going to launch 3xca and have the fastest network. They can't match it so they are desperate for 5G now. This 5G testing/talk is just a ploy to prevent customers from switching over to a faster and more affordable carrier.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

• Like 7

5G is nothing more than marketing spin to build further perception of the fantasy that Verizon is best. Nothing coming out of 'initial' 5G deployment scenarios involves anything other than making current LTE faster with existing technology.

All it will do is force all the other providers to come up with their own 5G fantasy to compete. It's a farce.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 18

5G is nothing more than marketing spin to build further perception of the fantasy that Verizon is best. Nothing coming out of 'initial' 5G deployment scenarios involves anything other than making current LTE faster with existing technology.

All it will do is force all the other providers to come up with their own 5G fantasy to compete. It's a farce.

It's gonna be the faux-G HSPA fiasco all over again, isn't it.  :wall:

I wonder who will dare to be the first to actually "launch" and label on phone status bars a non-standardized tech as 5G. Last time it was AT&T, right?

• Like 2

Vegas report has officially been posted

http://www.rootmetrics.com/en-US/rootscore/map/metro/las-vegas-nv/2016/1H

Several other reports were also posted today. Sprint posted a strong showing in Colorado Springs.

http://www.rootmetrics.com/en-US/rootscore/map/metro/colorado-springs-co/2016/1H

• Like 8

For those who think Softbank/Sprint aren't looking into 5G:

From July 2015.

http://www.rcrwireless.com/20150723/network-infrastructure/ericsson-softbank-team-for-5g-trials-in-tokyo-tag20

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Since 5G is anything anyone wants it to be at this point, everyone is looking at 5G.

• Like 7

WiMax was doomed from the beginning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The execution of WiMAX was doomed, not the technology.

Intel embedded WiMAX tech in every single WiFi module for years, so had the network taken off, it would have been amazing.

• Like 6