Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I wonder why there isn't an LG G Forever program along with this. Could this mean the LG G5 may not be available on Sprint, like how the V10 wasn't?

By the way, I may be switching to the G5 for the B&O HiFi device. I'm a huge fan of B&O, use to spend alot of time talking with employees of the company and know alot of great things about them, very good people there.

Anyways, I'm surprised that this turned into a Galaxy Forever deal, rather than an Android Forever deal, as I thought it was suppose to be.

Sprint already confirmed they'll be carrying the G5.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I wonder why there isn't an LG G Forever program along with this. Could this mean the LG G5 may not be available on Sprint, like how the V10 wasn't?

By the way, I may be switching to the G5 for the B&O HiFi device. I'm a huge fan of B&O, use to spend alot of time talking with employees of the company and know alot of great things about them, very good people there.

Anyways, I'm surprised that this turned into a Galaxy Forever deal, rather than an Android Forever deal, as I thought it was suppose to be.

I think the answer is resale value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Sprint already confirmed they'll be carrying the G5.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Ah, I hadn't seen it reported online in my searches, though thank you for the information.

I think the answer is resale value.

Might be. I've heard LG's devices in the past did poorly with that, but considering the pretty significant upgrade to the G5, at least imo, there would be some trial of this, at least. Perhaps there will be some information posted about this reasoning later by Sprint/LG, or somewhere in wireless news.

https://www.sprint.com/landings/lg-g5/index.html

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/statement-on-sprint-offering-lg-g5.htm

• Like 3

Unfortunately, nothing there about a leasing arrangement, or similar deal. I'm glad Sprint is offering it though, especially considering the disappointment many had with the V10 not being carried. .

Now only for LG to reveal pricing information. I haven't checked on it for a few hours, though I'll look now.

How could they logistically do an Android Forever program. I mean there are at least 3-4 flagship devices every 12 months (and I'm being conservative there). No?

• Like 1

How could they logistically do an Android Forever program. I mean there are at least 3-4 flagship devices every 12 months (and I'm being conservative there). No?

I agree that such would be difficult to implement, though that is what I've been hearing for a long time, that it would be Android Forever, not Galaxy Forever. Yet, this is definitely an easier plan to manage, I'd agree.

If there were to be one I think might work, is to have different classes of Android smartphone, where a person could only trade in an Android smartphone within its class, rather than by brand. Such as high-end, mid-range, and budget. Although, there could be provisions to allow a person to get a cheaper device or a more expensive one, depending on how it is setup.

Overall though, I still prefer the same approach I've mentioned here many times in the past, which hasn't changed and likely will never change. That is to have a simple one-year lease on all devices priced at $5 per $100 of device cost. A $700 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge 32gb therefore would be $35 monthly for 12 months ($420 for one year). If at the end of the term the customer wishes to keep the device, they'd have to agree for a one-year extension costing the same rate, which would cover the full cost of the device, plus a little extra profit for the company they'd otherwise make in a resale of the device. Or, the customer could trade in the device for a new device at the same $5 per $100 of device cost of the new device they'd get.

I agree that such would be difficult to implement, though that is what I've been hearing for a long time, that it would be Android Forever, not Galaxy Forever. Yet, this is definitely an easier plan to manage, I'd agree.

If there were to be one I think might work, is to have different classes of Android smartphone, where a person could only trade in an Android smartphone within its class, rather than by brand. Such as high-end, mid-range, and budget. Although, there could be provisions to allow a person to get a cheaper device or a more expensive one, depending on how it is setup.

Overall though, I still prefer the same approach I've mentioned here many times in the past, which hasn't changed and likely will never change. That is to have a simple one-year lease on all devices priced at $5 per $100 of device cost. A $700 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge 32gb therefore would be $35 monthly for 12 months ($420 for one year). If at the end of the term the customer wishes to keep the device, they'd have to agree for a one-year extension costing the same rate, which would cover the full cost of the device, plus a little extra profit for the company they'd otherwise make in a resale of the device. Or, the customer could trade in the device for a new device at the same $5 per $100 of device cost of the new device they'd get.

Why would you pay extra profit? The normal resale price includes a chunk of profit for celco. The BOM for a cell phone is usually around 30-35% of the msrp. Add on all the junk like r&d, manufacturing (labour and profit), marketing, transport, and taxes etc sprint et al make around 10% on post paid handsets sold at msrp.

Why would you pay extra profit? The normal resale price includes a chunk of profit for celco. The BOM for a cell phone is usually around 30-35% of the msrp. Add on all the junk like r&d, manufacturing (labour and profit), marketing, transport, and taxes etc sprint et al make around 10% on post paid handsets sold at msrp.

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/samsung-galaxy-s7-price-and-availability-details-t-mobile-and-sprint-announced-513315?page=1

I checked that link for some prices the various carriers are selling the Samsung Galaxy S7 for, which according to the site, the device retails for $779.99.  In my example, a one-year lease with trade-in is $420, with a one-year extension if the customer decides to keep the device, rather than trading it in, being another $420 for that additional year of $35 monthly payments, which brings it to a total cost of $840. So, based on the retail price of $779.99, that is around a $60 difference the company can keep.

I based this idea on the company being able to lease a device giving the customer a good option for a yearly trade-in, which then the company could resell the device after the year lease has ended. While I'm not exact on the issues of depreciation, etc. involving resale, I imagine there is some sort of additional money made by the company in doing so, rather than taking a loss on the transaction. What exactly that money is I'm sure varies. However, my example is designed to be more straightforward than current leasing structures, using a rounding system. Although not perfect, I still believe it is a good system, and I give credit to Sprint for having what I believe to be the best currently offered.

Saw this deal was announced:

Activate a New Sprint Account and Earn up to 25,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® miles

Existing Sprint customers can earn up to 5,000 AAdvantage® miles a year simply by registering their AAdvantage number at sprint.com/AAdvantage.

Warning:

Note: This offer is not combinable with the Sprint Discount Program. Existing customers who enroll in this program will not be eligible for an SDP discount and any current discount will no longer apply.

Perhaps this makes sense for some? Thoughts on the math? I noticed Miles are earned per account, not per subscriber. Oh well.

• Like 1

Saw this deal was announced:

Activate a New Sprint Account and Earn up to 25,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® miles

Existing Sprint customers can earn up to 5,000 AAdvantage® miles a year simply by registering their AAdvantage number at sprint.com/AAdvantage.

Warning:

Perhaps this makes sense for some? Thoughts on the math? I noticed Miles are earned per account, not per subscriber. Oh well.

I was hyped up on this offer before seeing that I would be trading my Discount for 5,000 miles. AA Miles are currently valued at $0.017 per mile. That means trading your discount for $85.

Not sure that's worth it, at least in my case.

• Like 3

I was hyped up on this offer before seeing that I would be trading my Discount for 5,000 miles. AA Miles are currently valued at $0.017 per mile. That means trading your discount for $85.

Not sure that's worth it, at least in my case.

Wait a second...

I currently receive an Employee Discount Sprint -20% on my bill every month.  Does that mean registering for this AA program would eliminate that?

Wait a second...

I currently receive an Employee Discount Sprint -20% on my bill every month.  Does that mean registering for this AA program would eliminate that?

It seems so...

• Like 1

Crap. How do I cancel my registration for this AAdvantage offer? Sprint chat could not help me, even though I provided them my confirmation number.

Resubmit your discount on sprint.com/verify

• Like 2

If you stay on the program for a month or two you can get some of those miles and you can switch back to your regular discount.   My discount is only around $3 a month so it really doesn't make that much of a difference.  The only other thing I am considering is that I can probably able to fly cheaper on some other airline anyway.    

I like how T-mobile fanboys talk smack on Sprint's 2.5Ghz spectrum. Johh going as far as saying it can't penetrate a paper bag

yet when T-mobile tests 5G with 28Ghz they get huge applause.

Even though I've become sort of a T-Mobile supporter, I am a major supporter of Sprint's band 41 spectrum, and I hope the best for Sprint in its growth using the spectrum. I had Sprint a few times last year, and I found band 41 to be excellent, which was even before 2x ca was implemented.

12/13 Ghz perhaps much higher with a 200 MHz Carrier is so far the plan. 5G wont be commercially available until probably 2020

Even though 2020 is so far in the future, I hope sprint deploys equipment today with 5g in mind (example: deploy microwave that can't support the speeds of 5g) or just stops this small cell deployment and focus on a rapid 5g deployment in the future. I'd hate to see a large capital spend now (when the heck are we starting again?) and then sprint takes their time to 5g and blames WiMax as the reason.
  • Like 1

I like how T-mobile fanboys talk smack on Sprint's 2.5Ghz spectrum. Johh going as far as saying it can't penetrate a paper bag

yet when T-mobile tests 5G with 28Ghz they get huge applause.

except that TMO will be bidding on 600MHz ...   And why test with your "best" spectrum....  

and as a customer it is nice to hear that 'your' carrier is planning and thinking ahead.   So far ATT, VZW, and TMO have announced 5g tests soon.  Has Sprint?  

except that TMO will be bidding on 600MHz ... And why test with your "best" spectrum....

and as a customer it is nice to hear that 'your' carrier is planning and thinking ahead. So far ATT, VZW, and TMO have announced 5g tests soon. Has Sprint?

Cell density over low band.

Sprint also has a plethora of 2.5Ghz holdings in which they can swap with other carriers for low band/mid band

• Like 1

except that TMO will be bidding on 600MHz ... And why test with your "best" spectrum....

and as a customer it is nice to hear that 'your' carrier is planning and thinking ahead. So far ATT, VZW, and TMO have announced 5g tests soon. Has Sprint?

Until there is some form of standardization starting to happen, testing their own flavors of "5G" is pointless.

I should also add Sprint demonstrated more than 2.5Gbps two years ago. http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/story/sprints-26-gbps-demo-shows-it-time-walk-walk/2014-02-06

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 4