Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

That should balance out the down/up discrepency of b41 CA. Those median download scores in the 20s strikes me as a Verizon level network experience.

Until you go into a dead spot where you're stuck on ~100 kbps 3G surrounded by Band 25-26-41(2xCA). Totally does not experience this almost every day...

• Like 5

Has anyone noticed on some of the recently updated root test that they switch some of the devices used?

Sent from my Nexus 6

I only noticed that they used a Galaxy note edge in San Antonio and at the Houston airport but a Galaxy s6 pretty much everywhere else in Texas.

• Like 1

I only noticed that they used a Galaxy note edge in San Antonio and at the Houston airport but a Galaxy s6 pretty much everywhere else in Texas.

Which is unfair, meaning markets using the other phones could now have different results. Also any market they don't use the same phone for all carriers I'm not happy with. 

I wonder if RM will have the decency to retest those markets (wishful thinking), or are we going to have to wait for them to choose better phones from the start next semester.

I'm really not happy with what's going on for the 2H results. 

• Like 3

Which is unfair, meaning markets using the other phones could now have different results. Also any market they don't use the same phone for all carriers I'm not happy with. 

I wonder if RM will have the decency to retest those markets (wishful thinking), or are we going to have to wait for them to choose better phones from the start next semester.

I'm really not happy with what's going on for the 2H results. 

Eh, to be fair both phones do support B41 2xCA. I think Sprint is doing great but the apparent weight put on uplink speeds will hurt them of course.

• Like 1

I am mobile, so I may expound at greater length later.  But my concise point is that not all variants of the same handset share the same tested RF performance.  Some better, some worse.  Thus, RootMetrics may have legit reasons for using different handsets across the four operators 

AJ

I am mobile, so I may expound at greater length later.  But my concise point is that not all variants of the same handset share the same tested RF performance.  Some better, some worse.  Thus, RootMetrics may have legit reasons for using different handsets across the four operators 

AJ

And all the devices tested use Qualcaumn modems and SoCSs.

The GS6 model for ATT and Tmobile uses Samsung shannon modems while the VZW and SPR ones uses Qualcaumn. Mixing up two different modems from two different manufacturers may have people questioning the results due to different equipment being tested. 

And all the devices tested use Qualcaumn modems and SoCSs.

The GS6 model for ATT and Tmobile uses Samsung shannon modems while the VZW and SPR ones uses Qualcaumn. Mixing up two different modems from two different manufacturers may have people questioning the results due to different equipment being tested. 

Unfortunately, they probably can't standardize testing on iPhones due to compatibility with the testing gear I'd imagine... but using Unlocked iPhone models (especially the 6s with Band 41 CA for Sprint's LTE Plus Network and Band 12 for those T-Mobile people who've been clamoring for it) on all 4 carriers would make the most sense and eliminate any hardware discrepancy at this point going forward.

• Like 2

A few new Rootmetrics reports out today.

This definitely reflects my experience in the Jacksonville market. Things have slowed down!!!

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/jacksonville-fl/2015/2H

Sprint ranked 3rd in Chicago. Definitely comparable with the other top carriers, though.

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/chicago-il/2015/2H

One of the first markets where I saw Verizon did the worst?!

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/spokane-wa/2015/2H

The Chicago report reflects my experiences with the carriers almost to the tee. Not surprised that AT&T and sprint are a perfect tie in reliability, and that sprint has a better rating in calling. Nor that AT&T is rated faster in network speed. I do believe the week they tested was after AT&T upgraded band 2 to 10 MHz.

And of course, T-Mobile is pretty much overall last (big surprise lol) and that Verizon is number one (they're the only one actually adding cell sites in NWI).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Unfortunately, they probably can't standardize testing on iPhones due to compatibility with the testing gear I'd imagine... but using Unlocked iPhone models (especially the 6s with Band 41 CA for Sprint's LTE Plus Network and Band 12 for those T-Mobile people who've been clamoring for it) on all 4 carriers would make the most sense and eliminate any hardware discrepancy at this point going forward.

I believe the iPhone can't run their testing software, I think it's too locked down. I guess they could with jailbroken iPhones though. The Nexus 6P is probably a better phone to standardize on since it supports all bands and CA on all carriers, plus they can use their current testing software.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• Like 3

Is this chart accurate?

B26 appears to overlap what B5 cellular is.

Just a curiosity.  Who owns the other B26 spectrum?  Surely the band isn't limited to just a chunk of 14Mhz?  Does someone else own the licenses nationwide?  I looked up who owned the B26 spectrum based on the attached picture but I'm noticing that AT&T owns a lot of it and is currently broadcasting it on B5.

KPNd1wq.png

EDIT: I'm guessing B26 is a superset of B5, just like B25 is a superset of B2?

Is this chart accurate?

B26 appears to overlap what B5 cellular is.

Just a curiosity.  Who owns the other B26 spectrum?  Surely the band isn't limited to just a chunk of 14Mhz?  Does someone else own the licenses nationwide?  I looked up who owned the B26 spectrum based on the attached picture but I'm noticing that AT&T owns a lot of it and is currently broadcasting it on B5.

EDIT: I'm guessing B26 is a superset of B5, just like B25 is a superset of B2?

Let's say that is two sets of numbers.

Set A: {1,2,3,4,5}

Set B: {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}

The values in Set A fits within Set B. 

{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9} 

"Set B contains all of the values of set A while Set A does not contain all of the values of Set B. Thus Set B is the superset of Set A"

Thus we got LTE Bands.

Band 2 includes PCS A-F blocks. 

Band 25 includes PCS A-G blocks. 

Since Band 25 includes the A-F blocks of Band 2 with the addition of another block (G Block) it's the superset. 

Band 5 is Cellular A and B blocks.

Band 26 is SMR portion + Cellular A/B blocks

Since Band 26 includes Cellular A + B blocks in addition to the extra SMR spectrum then it's the superset.

Band 38 TDD-LTE is 2570-2620 MHz.

Band 41 TDD-LTE is 2496-2690 MHz.

Band 38 2570-2620 is already included in Band 41 which has a range that incudes 2570-2620 within itself in addition to more. Thus Band 41 is the superset of Band 38.

Band 17 is 704-716 MHz

Band 12 is 698-716 MHz

Band 17 (704-716) fits within Band 12 (698-716). Thus Band 12 is the superset. 

yadayadayada

• Like 7

yadayadayada

Why would Sprint devices need to specifically support B2 and B5 if they already are supported in the superset bands?  Wouldn't Sprint B25-only devices be able to pick up B2 on let's say, T-Mobile?

Thanks for the explanation so far.  :tu:

EDIT: Ninja Edit, this quote has me confused.

So Set B contains the values of Set A while Set B does not contain all the values of set A. Thus Set A is the superset of Set B. 

Wouldn't Set B be the superset of A?  I think I am mixed up there.  Set B supports all of Set A?

Why would Sprint devices need to specifically support B2 and B5 if they already are supported in the superset bands?  Wouldn't Sprint B25-only devices be able to pick up B2 on let's say, T-Mobile?

Thanks for the explanation so far.  :tu:

Yes... That's how Sprint devices ocassionally pick up and attempt to authenticate to ATT and Tmobile Band 2. Ofcourse those networks won't authenticate the devices. 

The other network may also need to do MFBI to declare their Band 2 network as Band 25 UE compatible as well. 

• Like 2

Looks like Sprint could add at most a second 3x3 carrier after public safety moves off the band.

Then, after all public safety relocation in a region has been completed, Sprint could utilize its upper band SMR 800 MHz spectrum 821-824 MHz x 866-869 MHz for further wideband operations.

The values in Set A fits within Set B. 

{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9} 

So Set B contains the values of Set A while Set B does not contain all the values of set A. Thus Set A is the superset of Set B. 

I think you got a little mixed up here. The correct statement is

"Set B contains all of the values of set A while Set A does not contain all of the values of Set B. Thus Set B is the superset of Set A"

• Like 1

Sprint sends holiday gift baskets to all T-Mobile stores with URLs to the sprint jobs site XD

http://www.tmonews.com/2015/12/sprint-sending-holiday-gift-baskets-to-t-mobile-stores/

Nice move, Marcelo

Ya know... things like this is why I love the topics of business and marketing. Look at how great, somewhat trolling and evil, but all around awesome this is. When you're a bit creative, you can throw shade in so many ways!

So much win!  :D

• Like 6

Ya know... things like this is why I love the topics of business and marketing. Look at how great, somewhat trolling and evil, but all around awesome this is. When you're a bit creative, you can throw shade in so many ways!

So much win!  :D

As I said in another forum: That's actually funny and original. I would've just tossed out the card and kept the treats! 

I love this particular approach of Marcelo using kindness as a weapon. 

• Like 6

Sprint sends holiday gift baskets to all T-Mobile stores with URLs to the sprint jobs site XD

http://www.tmonews.com/2015/12/sprint-sending-holiday-gift-baskets-to-t-mobile-stores/

Nice move, Marcelo ????

Very Classy Move!

As I said in another forum: That's actually funny and original. I would've just tossed out the card and kept the treats!

I love this particular approach of Marcelo using kindness as a weapon.

My thoughts exactly!
  • Like 2

So much win! :D

Can't believe T-Mobile brass instructed employees to *throw away the baskets,* snacks and all. Total grinch move.

• Like 3

Can't believe T-Mobile brass instructed employees to *throw away the baskets,* snacks and all. Total grinch move.

At the very least, they should have quietly donated the food items to a local food bank or something. Instead, they just look like over reacting tools.

• Like 7